Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 34

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:11:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every organisms can be described as a grouping of characteristics.
These characteristics can be called 'traits'.

Some of these characteristics are purely due to the environment (scars for example) while other are the expression of one of a group of their genes.
For example,flamingos have the ability to extract the beta-carotene from their food and display it on their feathers.
Such characteristics are called 'phenotypic' and the sum of all such characteristic; a sum that constitute the total result of the genotype's expression; is termed the phenotype of an individual.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:27:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by MuhammedGoldstein

why could it not be said that it is the white flamingo's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment-- in particular, when it consumes a particular type of food-- turns it pink?
And, it seems to me, that we have another problem.

I don't know if you can see it, but I think that the way you've phrased it has the bird's genetic encoding consuming a particular food
Wow! If this were a practical joke, it would be a good one. Unfortunately, I don't think it is...

All animals are genetically encoded to prefer and thrive on diets that best suit their nutritional needs. There may be some or even a lot of variety in the diet. But the diet is still limited. The food that is both available and allowable due to genetic encoding is what the animal will eat.

If you believe otherwise, you are wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

If you don't believe otherwise, stop this silly nit picking.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:31:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
filthy, it's true, the wrong kind of barracuda were sold in S,F, in the street market. Several people were taken to hospital and somebody died , it think. Wonder what fugu fish eat ?
If by "fugu" you mean that species of puffer that is such a Japanese delicacy (that I am stupid enough to want to try), they eat corals. Coral toxins are what make the parrot fish & others contaminate the species that prey upon them. The fish themselves are resistant to these toxins, but we are not. It is my understanding that the preparation of those puffers is left only to the master chefs because a mistake could put the diner to great inconvenience & distress.

These relationships are fascinating. For example: species of nudibranchs (sea slugs) feed upon anemones and jellyfish, which, themselves predators, feed and defend themselves using highly toxic stinging calls called cniodocytes. These cniodocytes contain nematocysts which act like tiny, spring-loaded, venom-bearing harpoons and can be devastating, as anyone who's gotten tangled up with a Portuguese man o' war can attest. The nudibranch eats it's victim and keeps the remaining cniodocytes for it's own defense, isn't this a lot more fun than some goofy bird? There really is no limit to it, you know.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:33:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuhammedGoldstein.....

Is circumcision mitzva aseh or Sunnah in your culture?
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:35:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

why could it not be said that it is the white flamingo's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment-- in particular, when it consumes a particular type of food-- turns it pink?

I don't know if you can see it, but I think that the way you've phrased it has the bird's genetic encoding consuming a particular food
Wow! If this were a practical joke, it would be a good one. Unfortunately, I don't think it is...

All animals are genetically encoded to prefer and thrive on diets that best suit their nutritional needs. There may be some or even a lot of variety in the diet. But the diet is still limited. The food that is both available and allowable because of genetic encoding is what the animal will eat.

If you believe otherwise, you are wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.
So do you believe this is right right right?
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce(s) a white bird that can turn pink ?

It does mention phenotype, just without using the word "phenotype."... DAVEW
Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/11/2008 07:41:57
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:36:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So this is now past ridiculous. EVERY PERSON HERE KNOWS WHAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT. If you aren't going to advance the discussion, then I'm done.
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:38:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

MuhammedGoldstein.....

we're sitting on the fence

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:44:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either you are nit picking or need to bone up on your reading comprehension. Based on its genetic encoding, if one component of the available and allowable foods that a flamingo can eat turns it pink, and the flamingo eats that food, it will turn pink.

We are saying the same thing. Cune was saying the same thing. Everyone here is saying the same thing.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:48:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now I am curious at how long you can keep an established point by all parties in flux by picking apart the language that you don't prefer...

So far, were up top 17 pages of this nonsense...

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  07:58:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MuhammedGoldstein.....

MuhammedGoldstein.....

Like....kind of on the razor's edge of dickcision?
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  08:02:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see why you can't say that my statement is correct.
as to saying it, Seems that you three are avoiding it like the devil.

Either you are nit picking or need to bone up on your reading comprehension. Based on its genetic encoding, if one component of the available and allowable foods that a flamingo can eat turns it pink, and the flamingo eats that food, it will turn pink.

We are saying the same thing. Cune was saying the same thing. Everyone here is saying the same thing.
perhaps you see them as all saying the same thing, but that obviously is not true.
Cune has amended and amended.

How could it have been "the same thing" when it needed amendment ?

Edited by - MuhammedGoldstein on 06/11/2008 08:05:40
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  08:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

MuhammedGoldstein.....

MuhammedGoldstein.....

Like....kind of on the razor's edge of dickcision?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  08:07:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

perhaps you see them as all saying the same thing, but that obviously is not true.

Which statement would that be? Or is it just that you must dictate the wording when we are all saying the same thing?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

MuhammedGoldstein
BANNED

201 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  08:14:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MuhammedGoldstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Which statement would that be? Or is it just that you must dictate the wording when we are all saying the same thing?
why could it not be said that it is the bird's genetic encoding, which, when acted upon by environment, produce(s)* a white bird that can turn pink ?
I need some agreement that this is correct, in order to proceed. Dave knows better, Cune is cautious now, and you're up.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2008 :  08:18:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no problem with that statement. Can we proceed now?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 34 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.