Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:10:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  21:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In other word; would their moral and ethic be more important for them than winning their election?

Nope. I feel that by invading Iraq; they knowingly sacrificed the life of thousand of Americans and foreign nationals and put at risk even more people by stirring the terrorist nest even further.

I don't see why they would hesitate to do the same thing again if they felt like they would get away with it.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  23:38:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

No, everybody gets one reconsidered answer - Yes, No, or Maybe (Maybe means really in the middle, I really can't decide between yes and no) If you lean toward Yes or No, you have to vote the way you lean.

If you really, truly, honest injun (whoops, 'scuse me Chip'), can't decide if Bush & Co. is all that bad, vote Maybe.

I mean this is a big fucking deal. The future of the Universe may well depend on how we vote here today! Don't take it lightly!

Bullshit aside, I am attempting to get a platform to build a a little hypothetical scenario on, and I need to get an idea of just how cynical the SFN participating membership is about the current state of American politics, specifically the degree of corruption of the Bush administration.

We all know that it's probably the worst administration in American history, but are they THAT (mass murdering, power-mad psychopaths) bad?

I really want your honest opinion. No false "there's some good in everybody, shit", no "give them the benefit of the doubt", just honest "I've carefully thought through all the evidence we have on the Bushies and I think......! Then,.... would they kill thousands of innocent American citizens to fulfil their power obsession?

Not McCain himself, he might have some human decency in his "soul" - he experienced enough of man's cruelty to man to have grown some respect for human life and dignity. No, here I'm talking about Cheney and Rove, and all the hidden money and power figures that structure Republican politics (not a conspiracy, just the mind-set) the oil/power/money paradigm that has driven much of the politics of the last eight years) Are these people (just the two or three at the top) utterly without scruples, decency, morality?

Would they kill massive numbers of their countrumen to achieve their political goals - the goals of ultra Conservative, ultra right-wing Republican politics - to stay in power at any price?
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2008 :  23:57:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil.....

No, everbody gets one reconsidered vote:

Yes........B,C,& R would if they could get away with it!

No..........B,C,& R are not that bad!

Maybe....B,C,& R might really go that far to save Ultra-Conservative Republican politics' ownership of the US.
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  05:51:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My heart says yes, but my brain says no, so I go with No.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  06:53:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gonna pin us down, huh? Ok: Yes!

"Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutly." And if one has enough power, cat's paws can be found in plentitude. As I've noted earlier, this administration won't balk over the moral & ethical aspects of anything.

See, it wouldn't have to be all that big of an attack. A couple of suicidal, muslim madmen, imported or even home-grown, with a couple pounds of RDX in The Mall of the Americas on a busy day would do it. Or perhaps several or a series of "small" but coordinated attacks across the country. And of course our oh-so-patriotic, national news organizations would fall into line like they had rings in their noses, investigating nothing but commenting anyway.

So it could be gotten away with, at least in the short run. But I also still think that cowardice plays a part and we should be grateful for that.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  07:17:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:31:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pleco, Filthy, Kil.....

Thanks for quick unequivocal response! We're building a little diving board here! Maybe tomorrow I can go on to Phase Two of this earth-shaking hyperbolic hypothesis!

Please....anybody else with a Yes, No, or Maybe?
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:32:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't trust those bastards, Yes.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  08:46:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Pleco, Filthy, Kil.....

Thanks for quick unequivocal response! We're building a little diving board here! Maybe tomorrow I can go on to Phase Two of this earth-shaking hyperbolic hypothesis!

Please....anybody else with a Yes, No, or Maybe?
Oh Hypnotoad, please, not another Phase! I've already been phased out of too many places.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  11:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

All hail HYPNOTOAD!

Yeah, you're damn right! About time!

Go to Top of Page

Coat Of Arms
Skeptic Friend

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  15:57:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Coat Of Arms a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by bngbuck

Okay, from some of the comments I'm getting, I understand that there is some misunderstanding as to my meaning. I shall try to restate the OP:

Do you think that the Bush Administration would be morally and ethically capable of actually staging and executing a major "terrorist" attack on an American city; attributed to Al Quaida, one in which hundreds or thousands of innocents were killed, in order to frighten Americans into voting for John McCain?

Genuine high treason to achieve political dominance for ultra-conservatism!

Abe Lincoln was absolutely correct that government can and will fool all of the people some of the time. It took ten years of McCarthyism and much effort of the part of a free press and clear thinking-president to shut him and his witch hunt down. So The Sentry doesn't hold out much hope for a quick demise of the Bush horrors.

Bush allowed intelligence agencies under his control to present erroneous, misleading, and incomplete information to the Congress, our allies, and the American people in support of the war in Iraq.

Bush further adulterated that intelligence by selective use and presentation of the evidence to justify a preemptive war to the American people and the Congress, and to the world community at the United Nations.

Bush has engaged in a cover-up, withholding from the American people the evidence that supplies the basis of several of the above charges. He has done so by misclassifying information as national security data. While the information may be embarrassing or politically damaging, its revelation would not damage national security.

Knowing all this and more, I still vote no.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Paul C.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.