Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  07:13:55  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
George Carlin died of heart failure @ 71. He will be missed by me.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  07:33:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

George Carlin died of heart failure @ 71. He will be missed by me.
Oh wow. My son just saw him in concert a few weeks ago.

As a comedian, he was a voice of reason. I will miss him too.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  07:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I like to find out where the line might be, then cross it...it gives me pleasure to show them that the haunted house might be fairly safe." - George Carlin, from an interview clip from Fresh Air, playing on NPR as I type this.

What a great guy. Funny. Thought-provoking. Challenged our society's taboos head on. And, did I mention, funny...

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  08:15:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Se reposer dans la paix, le vieil ami, repos dans la paix.

You will be missed by all. Well, almost all, and therein lies your genius.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  09:25:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A master. One of the greats.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Edited by - Chippewa on 06/23/2008 09:26:56
Go to Top of Page

Lorriedjn

3 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  10:12:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lorriedjn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bummer news after a great TAM weekend.....
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  12:56:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, damn! There were none others like him.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  13:29:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure had a lot of laughs over the years with George's point of view.
Here's yet another great view of George's, on religion.
"George Carlin worships Joe Pesci", on youtube...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=X8evsSNdXcs

Farewell, George.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  22:13:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ERV talks about this too. Guess who she noticed was talking about Carlin's death?

CyberLizard also noted it.

I can't bring myself to say anything...the commentators on abbie's site have done it for me.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page

RadioMusicBox

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  22:15:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit RadioMusicBox's Homepage  Send RadioMusicBox a Yahoo! Message Send RadioMusicBox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn! I loved that guy. R.I.P. :*(

It's a cruel world...and YOU SUCK!!!!! (LAUGHTER)
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2008 :  23:11:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

ERV talks about this too. Guess who she noticed was talking about Carlin's death?
Wowie zowie:
I always felt as though a good exorcism would have done him good. . . surely only someone possessed by a demon could be that willfully blasphemous of God and Jesus Christ.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  01:43:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

...Wowie zowie...

Yeah - wacko fundies - what a bunch of self-righteous losers.

A real "Christian" - or just a happy-go-lucky "Secular Humanist" would say of George Carlin, (as did my girlfriend tonight):
"Bless his soul and courage and humanity."

When Olbermann signed off tonight he said: "For Al Sleet---good night and good luck." That was class.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Paulos23
Skeptic Friend

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  04:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Paulos23's Homepage Send Paulos23 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by the_ignored

Wowie zowie:
I always felt as though a good exorcism would have done him good. . . surely only someone possessed by a demon could be that willfully blasphemous of God and Jesus Christ.

Good grief. How many ways can they say they are glad he is dead, and then claim he knows knows the 'truth'.

Insulting.

You can go wrong by being too skeptical as readily as by being too trusting. -- Robert A. Heinlein

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
Edited by - Paulos23 on 06/24/2008 04:39:30
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2008 :  11:43:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Rude Pundit. Second article down.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ed Hudgins

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  07:00:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Ed Hudgins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked Carlin especially as Cardinal Glick in Kevin Smith's movie Dogma. You could tell he was having fun with the role!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2008 :  09:18:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ed Hudgins

I liked Carlin especially as Cardinal Glick in Kevin Smith's movie Dogma. You could tell he was having fun with the role!
There happens to be a George Carlin marathon of all of his HBO specials going on now. And there are a lot of them.

It's interesting to see his evolution from a young but basically happy version of himself, stylistically, to a curmudgeonly observer of the human condition. All of the concerts are pretty funny, but the late one's are the most honestly brutal.

Good stuff...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.