Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Conspiracy theory ABOUT the religious right?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2008 :  21:53:25  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know how reliable talk2action is?

They've published an article that sounds indistinguishable from most conspiracy theories I've hear, but it sounds like it's well researched:

You used your real name and honestly told other members you were a writer. Was it really that easy to report from within the group's walls?

Yes--because I came to them recommended. I had the right connections, a good enough pedigree, and, most importantly from their perspective, I was there. If God had sent me-- and why else would I be there?--then who were they to argue. Of course, they didn't know I was going to write a book about them, but then, neither did I. In fact, it was their idea. One day one of the leaders said, "You ought to write a book about us, Jeff." Then he laughed. "Nobody would believe it!" That was the easy part. It was the history that was tough. When I left, I discovered that The Family had dumped nearly 600 boxes of documents and tapes in an evangelical archive in Illinois. I moved to Illinois and spent months there, living in a bare bones apartment and marching off to the archive every day to sift through mountains of documents. I was amazed and horrified by what I found--the secret history of Christian fundamentalism's most enduring and most powerful organization, told through tens of thousands of letters, manifestos, memos, prayers, and political documents.

It's also been on TV.

A few weeks ago, the NBC Nightly News reported on the The Family, featuring dramatic video of Family leader Doug Coe preaching about the kind of "covenant" that he says made Hitler among others, powerful -- commanding loyalty among his followers, and that this is what Jesus requires.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  00:05:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm in no position to say whether the particulars of Jeff Sharlet's book are accurate, but I do feel that, given the phenomenal success of fundamentalism in recent years, there must have been some very serious organizing and "conspiring" going on.

The creation of the NeoCon coalition itself, which I see as essentially a conspiracy of oil industry and other moneyed interests with militarists and fundamentalists, must have taken a great deal of careful organizing and horse-trading, much of which could not easily withstand the light of day.

For instance, it seems reasonable to me to assume that at some time and place, Christian fundamentalists, militarists, and plutocrats likely sat down and made deals. Perhaps Karl Rove acted as chairman.

Imagine the deals: "Reverend, if you and your colleagues preach to your congregations that man-made global warming is a lie, we'll get 'faith-based' funds from the Federal government for you."

And: "A nice war against infidels would go well about now, especially one that profitably dragged on for a number of years. No-bid contracts for corporations, advancement for military officers, and exclusive access for Christian recruiting in the military ranks. There's no conscription, so our own kids don't have to die. It's a win-win situation."

One thing, I think, is for sure, whatever secret back-room deals lead this nation into its present mess will be exposed by history in time.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  08:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe in an actual factual conspiracy.

I just think that a small number of politicians' ideals were appealing enough for the 'big business' (reduced taxes and social or environmental restrictions).
That helped then gain monetary support from this big business.

Of course, such a program was difficult to sell to the average elector: 'We want to give freedom to big private companies to screw you if they feel like it' so they cynically went for the easiest to convince, less informed voters.

And they did so by using religion. An easy way to convince some people without actually getting money out.

Furthermore, the move came naturally and had long roots. Social progressive (mostly the left) had been in opposition to religious conservative for a long time.

Not an real conspiracy, just a convergence of interests.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.