Book Reviews
 The Loser Letters
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roddy

Panama
48 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  18:41:48  Show Profile  Visit Roddy's Homepage Send Roddy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the last few years, atheists have been publishing several books on religion, and Christians have done nothing but turning the other cheek (uh huh!!). Now they are fighting back, with a book called "The Loser Letters".

Anyone heard about this book? From the name, I can assume it is nothing but insults.

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  21:08:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Google turned up this, and your assessment seems to be correct:
Both a hilarious and edgy send-up of today's atheism and a serious work of Christian apologetics, THE LOSER LETTERS will have the believers cheering — and the atheists wondering what hit them
. I seriously doubt anyone at SFN will wonder "what hit them" since we've all dealt with just about every lame pro-God argument there is. So it will be interesting to read...
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  02:32:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

Both a hilarious and edgy send-up of today's atheism and a serious work of Christian apologetics, THE LOSER LETTERS will have the believers cheering — and the atheists wondering what hit them
. I seriously doubt anyone at SFN will wonder "what hit them" since we've all dealt with just about every lame pro-God argument there is. So it will be interesting to read...
Ouch! What hit me? I mean, it wasn't in the same class as a rifle bullet, but, I mean, ouch! anyway. Doesn't seem to be bleeding, though. Hmm, it didn't seem to leave a mark, either. Did something hit me? Oh, mosquito.....

SLAP!

One can't fail to notice that the write-up is in the National Review, a conservative fishwrap started by Wm. F. Buckley in 1955, and therefore about as might be expected. This screed fits right in -- they have even had the ill grace & poor taste to publish Ann Coulter.

But I wouldn't worry about it because it's almost like a write-up in the vanity press.
As with most partisan opinion magazines in the United States, National Review carries little corporate advertising and has never turned a profit. The magazine stays afloat by donations from subscribers and black-tie fundraisers around the country. The magazine also sponsors cruises featuring National Review editors and contributors as lecturers.

Buckley said in 2005 that the magazine had lost about $25 million over 50 years.
I did get a chuckle out of the article, although not so good a chuckle that I'll buy the book.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  04:43:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The first installment sure didn't read like a conversion story.
In short, I offer to You my own conversion story — that of a former Christian who has Adapted at last to Atheism.
Based upon the actual content of Mary's letter I thought that it could have been much shorter. Screed comes to mind, but that is likely the result of filthy's apt description.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  09:51:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ed Brayton blogged on this awhile ago. Supposedly The Loser Letters, written by Mary Eberstadt, is Christian satire modeled on C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters. Ed writes:
The essays at NRO are a series of fake letters - she calls them the Loser Letters - addressed to the leading atheist authors, to whom she refers as her "BFF". They purport to be in the style of C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, and they might be if C.S. Lewis had written like an absurdly self-righteous 13 year old girl. The series is supposed to be a satire of prominent atheists and atheism, but I think the joke ends up being on the author.

And really, it's bad stuff. Just below the smarmy caricature of a deluded atheist, you can see the seething frustration of a Christian woman who knows she must misrepresent atheism in order to attack it. It's the literary equivalent of crossing your eyes, sticking out your tongue and saying "Durr. I'm a dumb atheist." That's the level of "satire" we're dealing with. For instance:
Speaking just for this Atheist convert, congratulations, Guys, You really did it! Thanks to all Your hard work, the rest of us know once and for all that the so-called "God" is everything You say he is: the biggest fraud of all time, cosmic Zero, ultimate no-show. And after all those centuries and promises, too. Like throwing the biggest rave ever, only to cancel at the last minute after everyone'd already bought tickets and drugs for it. What kind of Loser does that, anyway? If this were Facebook, no one would be friending him now.
Do you think it comes across that Eberstadt believes atheism to be equivalent to thoughtless teenage rebellion? Yeah, just a bit, huh. The the point of the book is to smear by association, and in that manner avoid ever having to address the actual arguments for atheism. Pure dreck.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 07/01/2008 09:54:02
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  12:22:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And crap like this shows just how dishonest the whole thing is:
As I get it, Our atheist position on sex boils down to this: the believers with their tard regulations are all wrong about it, while we Brights have been — I'm reaching here for the words that You Guys might use — so groovy and hip by throwing out the Christian rule book on all that stuff. Or to put it another way, thanks to atheism and secularism more generally, words like privacy, consenting adults, and behind closed doors are in; and ones like monogamy, self-restraint, and staying together for the kids are out. If there's anything We Brights are all on the same page about — and again, I've read all those pages of yours pretty carefully! — it would seem to be this; am I right? [emph. in original]
Got that? Brilliant use of a false dichotomy. In this set-up, secularists who might favor things like privacy when it comes to one's sex life, don't favor things like monogamy or self-restraint (given that evangelicals divorce at rates higher than non-evangelicals, the whole "staying together for the kids" thing doesn't even make sense).

HH, I like your characterization-- "the seething frustration of a Christian woman who knows she must misrepresent atheism in order to attack it"

About sums it up. Pretty lame stuff.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2008 :  14:41:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody please wake me when/if they find anything at all from this book that provides evidence for a deity. (Making one's opponents to look like jerks in fictive prose doesn't count.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

MilindChatterji

India
4 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  04:15:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send MilindChatterji a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well i haven't heard about any such book.. hmm.."The Loser Letters" the name sounds a bit complex, don't you think?
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2009 :  05:17:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well. I was was certainly hit by the elite-level bullshit coming from it... seeing from the later replies, as I never even heard of this book until now.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

BrittersFritters

USA
1 Post

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  17:27:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send BrittersFritters an AOL message Send BrittersFritters a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wasted two hours of my life reading this book..it is as completely stupid as you think it is. She makes atheists out to be manipulative drones who are incapable of any emotions or morals. Ironic seeing as how she had to be manipulative so that the atheists "wouldn't know what hit em". What really upset me in this book is that she would give her view as to why an argument didn't work and then she would suggest a way to "cover it up". As if we didn't care at all about truth and we only cared about converting others to our side...hmmmm, sounds familiar...
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2010 :  23:45:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this seems like a pretty awesome book.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  00:24:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

this seems like a pretty awesome book.

You should pick up a copy if you think you'd like it.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  06:54:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually this really makes sense because the only way to support a fantasy is with more fantasy. Real facts and the truth are their poison, which can only bring death to their delusions. Their fear of death and desire to avoid the inevitable, can only be achieved by denial of the facts and creation of a pack of crap. It required a life dedicated to self deception. It's really sad that that when theists are asked about their unsupported beliefs they have to make up answers. I believe theists can try to ignore the voice of logic in their own heads but they can never escape it. SS

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Celt

4 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  13:52:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Celt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imho, it seemed to be authored by someone trying desperately to convince themself of their own ideals.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2011 :  14:42:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She may as well have written a book arguing that Men are objectively superior to Orcs.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
Martin Luther King Jr.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.