New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  16:23:16  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except Guantanamo Bay it seems.

I found this from Dispatches from the Culture Wars:

Radley Balko makes a really good point about the Bush administration's position on legal matters. They've claimed the right to arrest - and have actually arrested - citizens of another country for owning a perfectly legal business in their home countries that they don't want Americans to have access to (like David Carruthers, the CEO of Bet On Sports). Now they're demanding that banks in Switzerland break Swiss law to release information on customers to the U.S. government.

You can read the conclusion on his site.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - Cuneiformist on 07/23/2008 11:18:26

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  16:41:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

Except Guantanamo Bay it seems.

I found this from Dispatches from the Culture Wars:

Radley Balko makes a really good point about the Bush administration's position on legal matters. They've claimed the right to arrest - and have actually arrested - citizens of another country for owning a perfectly legal business in their home countries that they don't want Americans to have access to (like David Carruthers, the CEO of Bet On Sports). Now they're demanding that banks in Switzerland break Swiss law to release information on customers to the U.S. government.

You can read the conclusion on his site.

This is no more than yet another perversion of the old Manifest Destiny wishful delusion. There have been many.

Be damned to Congress, that they are too cowardly to impeach and have prosecuted that lying son-of-a-bitch infesting our White House.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  04:57:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's troubling...

How many Americans realize the reason why so many non-Americans fear (and hate because they fear) USA?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  01:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
It's troubling...

How many Americans realize the reason why so many non-Americans fear (and hate because they fear) USA?

The US can demand anything they want of Switzerland, and Switzerland is free to tell the US to go eff themselves.

Are you seriously claiming the US government is the only entity to ever demand something they're not legally entitled to just on the off chance they might get it?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  05:51:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

It's troubling...

The US can demand anything they want of Switzerland, and Switzerland is free to tell the US to go eff themselves.

Are you seriously claiming the US government is the only entity to ever demand something they're not legally entitled to just on the off chance they might get it?
Oh hell no, 'Croft! All governments present and past lie, cheat & steal, then leap up upon the soapbox and sanctimonously claim the moral high ground, and I see little chance for improvement for the future. Indeed, the first two quotes in my signature hit it about as close as anyone could. But does this mean that we have to trudge along in the footsteps of other scumbags, foreign & domestic, past & present? Evidently, Bush and his slimy cohorts think so.

But I don't.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  06:01:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's troubling...

No, where did you get that nonsense?

However, now that you mention it, the US government is the only current entity in position to actually make it happen in the western world, and possible on many other locations around the globe. The hypocricy of doing that, and at the same time claim to the champion of Democracy is astounding.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  07:20:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's troubling...

Well they took away my rights to carry tactical nukes, so what the hell am I supposed to do about it?! Seriously though, most Americans are clueless in this regard, to them, your hate = jealousy over "the most perfectest country in the eververse"

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:12:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote

However, now that you mention it, the US government is the only current entity in position to actually make it happen in the western world, and possible on many other locations around the globe. The hypocricy of doing that, and at the same time claim to the champion of Democracy is astounding.

How would the US make it happen?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

How would the US make it happen?
What's wrong with the example of Iraq? The U.S. thinks itself entitled to "liberate" the populace there, and does so by cooking up a "threat" and then acting upon it through invasion.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  20:47:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
What's wrong with the example of Iraq? The U.S. thinks itself entitled to "liberate" the populace there, and does so by cooking up a "threat" and then acting upon it through invasion.

So you think that because the US makes demands of Switzerland that the US will invade Switzerland if those demands are not met?

Please correct me if I misunderstand you.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:17:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

So you think that because the US makes demands of Switzerland that the US will invade Switzerland if those demands are not met?
Nope, just falsifying the implication that such a thing is unthinkable. Bush created the impression that if the U.S. doesn't like you, there's no telling what it'll do. And it certainly looks like that impression has led North Korea and Iran to both flex their muscles in response.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  21:45:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nope, just falsifying the implication that such a thing is unthinkable.

Maybe we have different definitions of "unthinkable."

http://www.answers.com/unthinkable&r=67

1. Impossible to imagine; inconceivable: an unthinkable amount of money.
2. Contrary to what is plausible or probable: That this project would achieve ultimate success was unthinkable at the time.
3. Not to be thought of or considered; out of the question: Raising taxes was politically unthinkable.

I think the US invading Switzerland safely falls within both the second and third definitions offered. It is contrary to what is plausible or probable and certainly out of the question.

Your anger at Bush is palpable and perhaps justified, but I disagree that you have "falsified" the implication that invading Switzerland is unthinkable.

Bush created the impression that if the U.S. doesn't like you, there's no telling what it'll do. And it certainly looks like that impression has led North Korea and Iran to both flex their muscles in response.

Not only are these statements supremely unfounded, they stray far from the topic.

If someone wants to say the US should not try to bully the Swiss, then that's hard to disagree with, but this incident is minor and I have full confidence in the ability of the Swiss to stand up for themselves.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2008 :  22:02:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argumentum ad Webster's.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  02:35:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't much worry about Bush invading Switzerland. Switzerland has no oil; only banks where oilmen hide their money. The same might be noted of Lichtenstein and the Cayman Islands.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  07:27:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are more than threats of physical violence.
There are diplomatic, political, and economical sanctions that the US Government could use. And USA still have a number of nations marching lock-step to its beat, that could also weigh in to cause trouble.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  09:43:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Argumentum ad Webster's.

The first several drafts were full of pithy responses that I rejected because they made fun of you, and I'm trying to get into the habit of debating people without belittling them. The dry dictionary response was my way of pointing out you had made an absurd statement and were apparently choosing to stand behind it.

The US is not going to invade Switzerland. We both have our differences with the current administration of the US, but there are plenty of real criticisms to be made without needing to jump to fantasy land.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.