General Discussion
 Tuborg, The Beer of Danish Kings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  09:23:45  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Moe, give me a bottle of your finest imported sounding beer!"

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/14/anheuser.inbev.ap/index.html

Budweiser to be sold to the Belgians, will be rebranded The Beer of Kings. Hilarious the senators always panic when it's one of their "all-american" companies.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  14:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's really funny. Apparently, millions of beer-drinking Americans are upset that a faceless conglomerate that makes watery (but familiar) brews is now owned by a faceless foreign conglomerate.

They really should not worry. I just had a bottle of Stella Artois last night, and it tasted to me as watery as a Bud.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2008 :  15:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Budweiser is crap. If the Belgans want it, they have my blessing.

It sems that Cindy McCain might reap something of a windfall from it, if the deal gets through the bureaucracy.
Cindy McCain may reap benefits of Anheuser-Busch takeover bid

By Jonathan D. Salant and Kristin Jensen

Bloomberg News

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.13.2008

Cindy McCain, the wife of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, may see a fortune of at least $8.5 million rise with a proposed takeover of beermaker Anheuser- Busch Co., financial disclosures show.

Cindy McCain owned more than $1 million of Anheuser-Busch shares at the end of last year, according to a Senate disclosure form filed by her husband and released today. News of the $46.3 billion unsolicited bid from InBev NV has sent the company's shares soaring, up about 17 percent from Dec. 31.
Sweet! And I don't begrudge her for it. Wish I'd held some of that stock, but with my luck, the company'd be bought by the Saudis and the stock would drop like a stone, putting us both in the poor house.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  11:31:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe they'll find a way to put flavor in to Budweiser. The American owners were never able to do that. . . .

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:18:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Maybe they'll find a way to put flavor in to Budweiser. The American owners were never able to do that. . . .
Indeed, maybe they'll come up with "New Bud" and, taking an example from Starbucks, corner the yuppie market.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:23:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Chimay, unfortunately and I cannot buy it in Mobile, AL and it costs a bit to have it shipped.

Chimay is one of the few good things a belief in a god has ever produced.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Edited by - pleco on 07/15/2008 12:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  12:59:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Indeed, maybe they'll come up with "New Bud" and, taking an example from Starbucks, corner the yuppie market.

No way. Bud is the biggest selling beer in America. And that company already has Becks. What might happen is they will try to put out a gourmet line with the expectation of smaller sales. Sort of a pretend micro brewery line of beers. But then again, why should they spend the money to do that? As long as the Bud label is on the bottle, the people buying it are going to expect watery beer.

I bet that the change of ownership will not even be noticed from a product standpoint.

Remember "New Coke?" People were actually pissed off when they tried to improve the recipe. When that failed they put out "Coke Classic" which is now just plain old Coke again...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  13:28:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Originally posted by filthy

No way. Bud is the biggest selling beer in America. And that company already has Becks. What might happen is they will try to put out a gourmet line with the expectation of smaller sales. Sort of a pretend micro brewery line of beers. But then again, why should they spend the money to do that? As long as the Bud label is on the bottle, the people buying it are going to expect watery beer.

I bet that the change of ownership will not even be noticed from a product standpoint.

Remember "New Coke?" People were actually pissed off when they tried to improve the recipe. When that failed they put out "Coke Classic" which is now just plain old Coke again...
And there is a part of my point. They'll make a fortune on "Classic Bud" -- same ol' crap & same ol' lable, just with an added word.

Nah, it won't be noticed by the NASCAR crowd, excepting those such as I, who read a lot and refused to drink it except in an emergency to start with. Gimmie a LaBatts anyday!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2008 :  21:38:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hard to imagine drinking a Bud willingly. We have a couple of real good options here in North Carolina. Highland Brewing Co and Foothills Brewing Co.

Since it's summer I'm enjoying the Highland Gaelic a nice amber that starts slightly sweet, but finishes with a mild bitterness from the hops. The after taste is consistent and pleasing. There is no drop off.

Too bad Foothills doesn't bottle. When I find myself in Winston-Salem I usually pick up a growler or two. Seeing Double IPA, they did something right with the hops on that one. Fortunately I'm close enough that I can always find 2 or 3 of their brews on tap.

There is just no reason to drink bad beer.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2008 :  05:29:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

I like Chimay, unfortunately and I cannot buy it in Mobile, AL and it costs a bit to have it shipped.

I love Chimay. However, Big Bottle + High Alcohol = Be Careful

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

bmnb123

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  01:18:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bmnb123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in bad situation I can not drive and the only bar near my serves the Nascar crowed bud, bud light and Budweiser.
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  05:17:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah yes, an excellent brew. Easily available up here in the Great White North.

But don't despair, there are many fine malt soups produced in the U.S of A., just avoid the big labels. Samuel Adams is good, but the one I want to try but can't get here is Arrogant Bastard Ale:

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  05:41:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by The Rat

Ah yes, an excellent brew. Easily available up here in the Great White North.

But don't despair, there are many fine malt soups produced in the U.S of A., just avoid the big labels. Samuel Adams is good, but the one I want to try but can't get here is Arrogant Bastard Ale:

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/
I'll have to keep my eye open for beers made by the Stone brewery. Saw that they had a smokey porter. For another smoke porter I'd recommend Smoke Jumpers Imperial Porter by Left Hand. Coming in at 9.2% the initial alcohol punch can be overwhelming, but it does settle down to where you can enjoy the roasted malts and fine use of hops. It really does have a smokey flavor and quite drinkable over a large temperature range. Ice cold is no way to enjoy a fine beer.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Edited by - moakley on 07/28/2008 05:41:55
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  06:12:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And then there's this:

Coincedently, Bad Frog was banned in PA by Judge Jones, of Dover fame. Oh well, I guess you can't make good decisions every time, and Kitzmiller was so excellent that we can forgive this one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.