Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  10:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

Originally posted by Dude
Yeah, but a billboard accusing democrats of killing 3000+ US citizens doesn't meet your criteria for calling someone evil?
The billboard doesn't say that. That's what you read into it.
No, it doesn't literally say that. Indeed, billboards can't speak. But it's the obvious message. Were I make a billboard with the slogan "don't vote Republican" and put imagery of Hitler and Nazis in the background, it's unmistakable that I'm associating Republicans with Nazi Germany.

As a related aside, the owner of the billboard said in an interview on CNN, "I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican President at the time." No, really. He said that.

I don't think cognitive dissonance is the right term here, but there has to be a term to explain this. You blindly love your team. Something bad happens that can logically be the considered the fault of your team. You refuse to accept that your team could be at fault for this bad thing. Thus, it has to be the fault of the other team. And then you convince yourself that that is reality.

This, of course, is predicated on buying into a black-and-white "my team/your team" mentality. Still, it's creepy.
Edited by - Cuneiformist on 07/23/2008 15:37:50
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  13:44:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mycroft, the billboard says exactly that.

By your logic I could take a picture of a guy fucking a goat, put the words "please don't vote for a republican" on it... and I would NOT be saying that republicans are goatfuckers. Uh huh.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  16:01:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One could retaliate factually: Wide billboard with a split screen showing pictures of members of the Taliban meeting in Texas when Bush was governor and Rumsfeld shaking hands with Sadam in Baghdad, all above the words: "Don't Vote Republican."

Taliban in Texas

Rummy and Sadam

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  16:01:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cune:
As a related aside, the owner of the billboard said in an interview on CNN, "I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican President at the time." No, really. He said that.

So, this becomes a question of whether a person can be evil and stupid at the same time. I'm not sure that he doesn't loose some evil points based on his stupidity. You know, the more stupid, the less evil he can be do to the lack of a conceptual grasp of evil to some degree. How exactly does that work?

Personally, I'm with Forrest Gump on this one. "Stupid is as stupid does" would, it seems to me, allow for the billboard to be seen as evil.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  17:32:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude.....

By your logic I could take a picture of a guy fucking a goat, put the words "please don't vote for a republican" on it... and I would NOT be saying that republicans are goatfuckers. Uh huh.
Hilarious image, Dude. I'll provide the goat if you'll find a photogenic goatfucker! We'll make political history!

Mooner, I dare you to put your photoshop skills to work on this one!
I know, it's pushing the envelope into next week, but I can dream, can't I?
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  11:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist
No, it doesn't literally say that. Indeed, billboards can't speak. But it's the obvious message. Were I make a billboard with the slogan "don't vote Republican" and put imagery of Hitler and Nazis in the background, it's unmistakable that I'm associating Republicans with Nazi Germany.

Something that's been done in these forums, by the way.

Well, then we can agree that he's either really stupid, or that he mispoke.

I don't think cognitive dissonance is the right term here, but there has to be a term to explain this. You blindly love your team. Something bad happens that can logically be the considered the fault of your team. You refuse to accept that your team could be at fault for this bad thing. Thus, it has to be the fault of the other team. And then you convince yourself that that is reality.

It's partisan politics. It's deciding that one party, one group, or one portion of the political spectrum has all the right answers and that everyone else in not only wrong, but immoral.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  12:11:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No one has all of the answers, but evidently, over the couple of decades or so, the Republicans have lost any that they might have had, thank you conservative idiologues and religious fundamentalist swine.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  13:39:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<br>As a related aside, the owner of the billboard said in an interview on CNN, "I believe 9/11 could have been prevented if we'd had a Republican President at the time." No, really. He said that.

I would like to wake up now.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Edited by - Maverick on 08/10/2008 13:40:26
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2008 :  14:52:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Mycroft

Something that's been done in these forums, by the way.

...to prove a point.

And as Filthy already mentioned, closer to the mark.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.