New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

bmnb123

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  13:39:13  Show Profile Send bmnb123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got this from slashdot.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,24070088-13762,00.html

FORMER NASA astronaut and moon-walker Dr Edgar Mitchell - a veteran of the Apollo 14 mission - has stunningly claimed aliens exist.
And he says extra-terrestrials have visited Earth on several occasions - but the alien contact has been repeatedly covered up by governments for six decades.

Dr Mitchell, 77, said during a radio interview that sources at the space agency who had had contact with aliens described the beings as 'little people who look strange to us.'

He said supposedly real-life ET's were similar to the traditional image of a small frame, large eyes and head.

Chillingly, he claimed our technology is "not nearly as sophisticated" as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned "we would be been gone by now".

Dr Mitchell, along with with Apollo 14 commander Alan Shepard, holds the record for the longest ever moon walk, at nine hours and 17 minutes following their 1971 mission.

[Edited formatting to include quote, and removed part of copyrighted material. For rest of the story, follow the link. //Dr. Mabuse]

Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/25/2008 14:10:24

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  14:25:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the SFN.

Chillingly, he claimed our technology is "not nearly as sophisticated" as theirs and "had they been hostile", he warned "we would be been gone by now".

Yes, let's all hope that they have no reason to build an interstellar bypass through our part of the galaxy.

What do you think about all this, bmnb123?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 07/24/2008 14:26:07
Go to Top of Page

bmnb123

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  14:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bmnb123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
back to Earth aboard Apollo 14, Mitchell had an epiphany while looking down on the earth from space. "The presence of divinity became almost palpable, and I knew that life in the universe was not just an accident based on random processes ... The knowledge came to me directly," here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institute_of_Noetic_Sciences

Who would have thought that he'd go totally nuts one day.

Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  15:23:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to Wikipedia, Edward Mitchell, the 6th human being to have walked on the moon, was interested in "paranormal phenomenon" before, during and after his Apollo 14 flight. So his belief in UFO landings is not fully acquired from his Apollo 14 experiences.

My opinion is that anyone who has stood rapt in awe at the Milky Way and the night sky (as seen from Earth) usually has the notion that we are not alone. This doesn't mean Roswell is real. It is perfectly fine for a skeptic who knows we live in an incredibly vast universe to also realize that we have no proof of alien life as yet. The feeling that alien life may exist is reinforced by subtle scientific data like the basic chemicals for life are found in space or simply the notion that life happened here so it could happen elsewhere. But this is in a different direction from comic book style aliens landing in saucers or even aliens in prettier Steve Spielberg style glowing spacecraft.

I imagine someone who is less critical of so-called paranormal and UFO claims, becoming an astronaut, joining the Apollo program and eventually actually standing on the Moon would have at least the same feelings of awe enormously reinforced by the awesomeness and historic importance of what they are doing. This might serve to convince them that alien beings have visited the Earth and uncritically accept anecdotal evidence.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  16:23:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is his evidence?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  16:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as someone tells me about aliens having a more or less humanoid form, I start thinking "whacko!" The likelihood of something from Alpha Centari, or wherever, appearing anything like us is highly remote. Indeed, I'd bet into any odds on it.

Because, as we have expounded endlessly, evolution works to adapt a species to it's enviornment. Any minor differences between theirs & ours would show up in vast differences in species. And even if the enviornments were identical, the dominant, sentient species might well, and most likely would, have sprung from an entirely different set of genetics, and not necessarily anything that even exists on Earth. And to top it off, our own form & function is far from ideal.

In short, they ain't thinkin' it through.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Welcome to SFN, bmnb123

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  20:22:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
bnmb123.....

Moonwalker Mitchell will be largely derided as a lunatic for these comments. And, as pleco says, where is the evidence?

Either way?

Keep tuned, I may have more on this in a few days!
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  20:24:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

WTF?? Was that really a picture of Acid Annie, or was it Photoshopped?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  21:12:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The bits in red were Photoshopped in, bngbuck. The rest of the image is the reason why Annie is often referred to as an insect.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  22:02:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave.....

The bits in red were Photoshopped in, bngbuck.
Shit, I know that, Dave, I'm talking about the face. It's almost attractive in a bulimic sort of way, not at all like the butt-ugly bitch that Acid Annie is. I understand the toothpick arms give her away, but that face just didn't look right. I thought someone had Photoshopped the face of a human being onto her scrawny body.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2008 :  23:42:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
UFO and Alien Visitor aficionados......

Well, Mitchell's views aren't exactly news hot off the presses.....
Edgar Mitchell: US Covers Up Aliens For 50 Years
by Tom Rhodes

The Sunday Times - (London)

October 11, 1998

NEW YORK -- There are no little green men on the moon. Edgar Mitchell knows this because in 1971 he became the sixth man to walk on it. He is positive, however, that aliens have landed on Earth.

Sharing the podium at a conference in Connecticut yesterday with "alien abductees" and others who claim to have had contact with unidentified flying objects (UFOs), the former Nasa astronaut intensified his campaign to persuade Washington to acknowledge life beyond our skies.

Snipped for copyright reasons.
For the rest of the article, follow this link. //Dr. Mabuse

Bill, Did you forget this?

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/shadowlands/6583/coverup039.html

Also, there was no need to copy the whole article. There is the possibility of copyright infringement that we would like to avoid.

Thanks again, and again...

Kil

[Edited to shorten copyrighted material. //Dr. Mabuse]
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/25/2008 14:06:44
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2008 :  03:35:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

Filthy.....

WTF?? Was that really a picture of Acid Annie, or was it Photoshopped?
I lifted it from Google Images and refuse to take any responsibility for it's construction.

Actually, I've seen quite a few images of Coulter where she looked pretty good, in a Cambodian survivor sort of way.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  14:08:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Filthy.....

Actually, I've seen quite a few images of Coulter where she looked pretty good,
Filth, I realize there are extremely strange flora and fauna encompassing the landscape of the exotic tropical area that you call home. Also, I've had personal experience with many of the indiginous peoples of that land, I know of their Mephistophelian skills in cultivating weird plants and distilling their essences into unimaginable potions of powerful psychedelic effect... The South is also well known for its unmatched crops of exotic substances which, when dried and burned emit vapors that, when inhaled cause many varieties of wonderful temporary insanity.

So I can understand the phenomenon that is Filthy's incomparable writing - Many muses materialize from a multitude of metabolized materials. And I envy you, deeply, not only for the source of your inspirations, but for the excellence of expression that emerges from the amazing variety of substances that you must drink, smoke, inhale, inject, swallow, insert in your rectum, or whatever method of delivery the inspirant requires.

99% of the time, you hit on the right combination of herbs and the result is the best prose, essay, humor, and poetry anywhere on this forum!

BUT WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU SMOKING THE TIMES YOU SAW MANNTHRAX COULTER "LOOKING PRETTY GOOD"???

Filth, I want some of that stuff. It is transformative!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  14:43:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I've seen quite a few images of Coulter where she looked pretty good,
Quote mining..... *tsk* I'd not thought you'd stoop to such.

The sentence read: "Actually, I've seen quite a few images of Coulter where she looked pretty good, in a Cambodian survivor sort of way." And I have. Lots of 'em, in fact.

Lovely, isn't she?

I almost hung an edit on it to change 'survivor' to 'refugee' but it's all the same, scrawny thing, and so didn't bother. As for the rest, that's my private stash, guarded by spells & enchantments, and of substances unknown to muggle science. Sorry; can't tell ya.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 07/26/2008 14:49:18
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  05:48:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad, really.
More on moonwalker Edgar Mitchell's claim that space aliens have visited earth

Posted by Mark Frauenfelder, July 25, 2008 3:27 PM

Irene Klotz of the Discovery Space website interviewed Edgar Mitchell about his claims that intelligent space creatures have landed on Earth and that the US government has been covering it up.

EM: My major knowledge comes from what I call the old-timers, people who were at Roswell and subsequent who wanted to clear the things up and tell somebody credible even though they were under severe threats and things -- this was back in the Roswell days. Having gone to the moon and being a local citizen out in the Roswell area some of them thought I would be a safe choice to tell their story to, which they did. Even though the government put real clamps on everybody, it got out anyhow.

Subsequent to that, I did take my story to the Pentagon -- not NASA, but the Pentagon -- and asked for a meeting with the Intelligence Committee of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and got it. And told them my story and what I know and eventually had that confirmed by the admiral that I spoke with, that indeed what I was saying was true.
I vaugely recall something of an Air Force kerfuffle over that, which only shows that the brass are no less gullible than anyone else. Or that they were trying to keep some sort of advanced flying machine secret with typical, military absurdity.

In any event, all Mr. Mitchell has is ancedotal evidence from fading memories. Sad indeed, to even see this nonsense in a newspaper. Must'a been a deathly slow week.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  06:18:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I may *like* for this to be true (aliens, gov'ment conspiracies, advanced tech, general X-Files fodder), I'll ask again:

Where's his evidence?

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.