Health
 Pittsburgh Cancer Center Warns of Cell Phone Risk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmnb123

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  00:56:21  Show Profile Send bmnb123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this on slashdot. I personal skeptical about the whole cell phone cancer thing.
The head of a prominent cancer research institute issued an
unprecedented warning to his faculty and staff Wednesday: Limit cell
phone use because of the possible risk of cancer. The warning from
Dr. Ronald B. Herberman, director of the University of Pittsburgh
Cancer Institute, is contrary to numerous studies that don't find a
link between cancer and cell phone use, and a public lack of worry by
the U.S. Food and Drug Administration." RevWaldo continues: "One
possible solution offered? 'Use a wireless headset.' No risk of EM
exposure from one of them, no sirree!"
[+] cellphones, technology, medicine, tinfoilhat, idiocracy (tagging beta)

http://www.upmccancercenters.com/about/bio-herberman.html

http://www.environmentaloncology.org/node/201

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hwzQ6Jsq3cSWa721yR84l99_pnlAD923S7T82

--

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  01:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well... The RF power output from a wireless head-set is magnitudes less than a mobile phone.
Still, the average power from a mobile phone is measured in milliwatts. You get a higher increase of thermal energy in the brain from wearing a basebell cap.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  14:52:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are currently a number of studies on the risks of cell-phones causing cancer. Most notable are the studies from the INTERPHONE group, an international cooperation of 13 countries. In the countries they are performing case-control studies on different brain cancers and cancer of the sweat glands (IIRC). So far, their have been a few results suggesting increased risk on certain types of brain cancer after 10 years of cell phone use. However, there are a number of problems with these studies, not least of all recall bias (ie, when asked about there cell phone use, patients may be more prone to report long cell-phone use). Also, no dose-response relationship has been reported yet.

Watch the Netherlands! We're starting a cohort study this year that will give better answers. Results expected in 10 years or so. I so hope to get a PhD position on one of those projects.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  14:55:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I should add that the analyses reported on the side of the head are extremely sketchy, so no valid conclusions can be drawn from those. The German INTERPHONE partners refused to do an analysis of the laterality (ie, side of head of cancer versus side of head of cell-phone use), because they considered the statistical techniques to do so underdeveloped.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  14:58:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Well... The RF power output from a wireless head-set is magnitudes less than a mobile phone.
Still, the average power from a mobile phone is measured in milliwatts. You get a higher increase of thermal energy in the brain from wearing a basebell cap.

However, it is not only terminal effects that are considered. Increased permeability of cell-membranes could possibly be triggered by electromagnetic fields, to take a possible different exposure-effect route. What this would signify in terms of health risk is, as far as I know, unknown.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  15:34:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn! is there anything that won't give you cancer? Back in the '70s, I had to stop feeding my rat saccharine.

But this recalls something interesting; remember some years back when people who lived under or near power lines were reporting health problems and suing? I wonder if that will soon be revived.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  15:47:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Damn! is there anything that won't give you cancer? Back in the '70s, I had to stop feeding my rat saccharine.

But this recalls something interesting; remember some years back when people who lived under or near power lines were reporting health problems and suing? I wonder if that will soon be revived.

If you're talking about litigation over supposed cell phone use leading to cancer, I think you can count on it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  16:42:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

If you're talking about litigation over supposed cell phone use leading to cancer, I think you can count on it.

No doubt, but I'm talking about the fuss over electromagnetic fields around power lines. there was quite a ruckus about it for a while.

Well, we'll see.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2008 :  17:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Well, depends on what you mean with revived. Some research has shown a link between childhood leukemia and power lines. In the Netherlands at least, and in other European countries, power lines now need to be placed a certain distance from residential areas or have to be a minimum distance underground.

I don't think that suing will lead to anything though. In the case of cigarettes and lung cancer, as well as asbestos and asbestosis, law suits were successfull because the companies had prior knowledge of the health effects, but didn't act on that information or hid it. The situation around mobile phones is different, because at this time the evidence surrounding the health effects still is below the standard for a causal relationship.

Tom

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  01:50:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80
The situation around mobile phones is different, because at this time the evidence surrounding the health effects still is below the standard for a causal relationship.

True, and also, there are emission regulations that says that phones must not emit over a certain amount of electromagnetic radiation.
The same applies for my work-place. Safety checks are made at intervals to check if workers are exposed to "unsafe" levels of radiation from unshielded transceivers.
From the reports, I can read that my family jewels are safe.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 07/29/2008 01:52:00
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2008 :  10:17:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use this test to determine if cell phones are bad for you. The test was done on me, first not holding a cell phone and then done again holding one. My arm went down like a lead weight when I held the phone.

Naturally, I bought the little bag of protecting herbs to counter the ill effects of cell phone use, which was demonstrated in the third test while holding my cell phone. My arm resisted the pressure easily. So I keep the bag on me 24/7.

Why bother with further testing and studies when the diagnosis and the solution to the problem is so easy and cheap?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.