Politics
 In-flight cell ban advances in Congress
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bmnb123

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  05:29:50  Show Profile Send bmnb123 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw this on slashdot.

"The awkwardly named Halting Airplane Noise to Give Us Peace (HANG UP) Act was approved by the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on a voice vote Thursday. The bill would make permanent the long-standing ban on in-flight cell phone calls by the FAA and FCC. 'Polls show the public overwhelmingly doesn't want to be subjected to people talking on their cell phones on increasingly over-packed airplanes. However, with Internet access just around the corner on U.S. flights, it won't be long before the ban on voice communications on in-flight planes is lifted,' said Representative Peter DeFazio, a Democrat from Oregon who co-sponsored the HANG UP Act in a statement. 'Cash-strapped airlines could end up charging some passengers to use their phones while charging others to sit in a phone-free section of the plane,' he said."

I thought they where already banned . This seams like waste time and money.

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/53980/flight-cell-call-ban-advances-congress

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:05:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I will not fly under any circumstances, this doesn't effect me. What does affect me, and everyone else, is some dumbass running his/her mouth at 70 mph into a cell phone while he/she's also running his/her automobile at 70 mph.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  07:10:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's great - you won't be able to use your cell phone, then when you land they will take if from you.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  18:46:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by pleco

That's great - you won't be able to use your cell phone, then when you land they will take if from you.

Justice has never been further away in the USA, has it?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2008 :  21:51:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It probably has Tom, just not in the last 60 years.

We did round up all the Asian people during WW2 and confine them against their will.

In past time we have managed to counter our bad with good deeds though. Seems like we are just screwing everyone over at the moment, and not many people seem to give much of a rats ass about it.

I'm hoping some of the apathy wears off by this November though, and people will get off their asses and vote.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  09:04:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bmnb123

I saw this on slashdot.

"The awkwardly named Halting Airplane Noise to Give Us Peace (HANG UP) Act was approved by the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee on a voice vote Thursday. The bill would make permanent the long-standing ban on in-flight cell phone calls by the FAA and FCC. 'Polls show the public overwhelmingly doesn't want to be subjected to people talking on their cell phones on increasingly over-packed airplanes. However, with Internet access just around the corner on U.S. flights, it won't be long before the ban on voice communications on in-flight planes is lifted,' said Representative Peter DeFazio, a Democrat from Oregon who co-sponsored the HANG UP Act in a statement. 'Cash-strapped airlines could end up charging some passengers to use their phones while charging others to sit in a phone-free section of the plane,' he said."

I thought they where already banned . This seams like waste time and money.

http://www.itworld.com/mobile-wireless/53980/flight-cell-call-ban-advances-congress

Only banned on takeoff and landing. In flight, they are ok.

As I have made the decision after the last flight I took that I've had it with airlines, the TSA fear mongers, and a "threat level" changed for political reasons, it's all aboard AMTRAK for me.

unlimited carry on luggage -- $0
3 checked baggage - $0
over size/overweight baggage - $0
In transit meals and alcohol - available in lounge cars
wi-fi, cell phone service and quiet cars for those that don't want to deal with them - $0
Leg room - ample

Sure it'll take me longer but it'll be with a lot fewer TSA bullshit checks. If the TSA was serious about transit threats, why are they only looking heavily at the airports?

And the cost is comparable to a round trip flight. Chicago - Pittsburgh - $120 round trip.

Plus, they don't get grounded in poor weather and turbulence, what is that?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2008 :  15:47:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The train is fine for short trips. A five-hour flight plus a couple more hours screwing around in the airport definitely beat the 60 (or more!) hours a train can take to go from DC to LA.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.