It is to laugh!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:40:40  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be damned, but I think they're getting dumber....
Zonkeys, Ligers, and Wolphins, Oh My!
by Dr. Georgia Purdom and Bodie Hodge, AiG–U.S.August 6, 2008

Although not exactly the same mantra that the travelers in the classic Wizard of Oz repeat, these names represent real life animals just the same. In fact, two of these strange sounding animals, a zonkey and a zorse, can now be seen at the new Creation Museum petting zoo. But what exactly are these animals and how did they come to be? Are they new species? Can the Bible explain such a thing?

The study of created kinds is an exciting area of research, and our hope is to help encourage others to get involved. Whether studying the duck-goose kind, elephant-mammoth kind, camel-llama kind, apple-pear kind, or others, the field of baraminology is a great place for biologists, botanists, geneticists, and paleontologists (for extinct kinds) to get immersed in creation research.

It is fortunate that such apologetic nonsence is not taken seriously by any but the willingly deluded. Unfortunate that it is taken seriously at all.

[Moved to the Creation/Evolution folder - Dave W.]

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/06/2008 12:48:29

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  15:54:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, the 'zonkey' and 'zorse' come to be from the very natural process of mating a zebra with a mare (or a donkey; don't know whether male or female). In fact, no more awesome than your average mule, albeit a tad bit more colorful, and equally sterile, so wtf are they ranting about?

Zorse foal is adorable, by the by.

[edit] Ah, I read the article. The old 'kind' lameness, nevermind the fact that zorses can't replicate without involving a zebra and a mare, as can't ligers or any other feline hybrids, afaik. How they populated the world when the results can't breed is a mystery to me.

I wonder if anyone tried to mate maned wolves to regular wolves?

Sad, really.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 08/06/2008 15:58:59
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  17:14:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Siberia

Eh, the 'zonkey' and 'zorse' come to be from the very natural process of mating a zebra with a mare (or a donkey; don't know whether male or female). In fact, no more awesome than your average mule, albeit a tad bit more colorful, and equally sterile, so wtf are they ranting about?

[edit] Ah, I read the article. The old 'kind' lameness, nevermind the fact that zorses can't replicate without involving a zebra and a mare, as can't ligers or any other feline hybrids, afaik. How they populated the world when the results can't breed is a mystery to me.

Sad, really.
In nature, hybrids are, if not common, at least far from unknown. I myself have found a hybrid rattlesnake: Crotalus h. horridus/Sistrurus c. catenatus -- timber rattlesnake/eastern masasssauga. Have no idea whether it was viable or not.

As for their chickens, they have ignored -- or were too lazy/ignorant to look it up -- species of grouse, notably those of the Great Plains. There are several, each species having it's own range. Once in a while, on the intergrade lines, a clutch of hybrids will be produced. These, when adult, have virtually no chance at breeding opportunities because, during the breeding season, the males of each species commands a territory. Within that territory, he performs a complicated and beautiful dance to impress the ladies. The cock hybrids will not breed because their dances are wrong for both species, and the same holds for the hybrid hens. Interesting, no?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  05:18:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Siberia

Sad, really.
In nature, hybrids are, if not common, at least far from unknown. I myself have found a hybrid rattlesnake: Crotalus h. horridus/Sistrurus c. catenatus -- timber rattlesnake/eastern masasssauga. Have no idea whether it was viable or not.

As for their chickens, they have ignored -- or were too lazy/ignorant to look it up -- species of grouse, notably those of the Great Plains. There are several, each species having it's own range. Once in a while, on the intergrade lines, a clutch of hybrids will be produced. These, when adult, have virtually no chance at breeding opportunities because, during the breeding season, the males of each species commands a territory. Within that territory, he performs a complicated and beautiful dance to impress the ladies. The cock hybrids will not breed because their dances are wrong for both species, and the same holds for the hybrid hens. Interesting, no?

Quite! I've seen some breeding between different species of bird in some documentary, but it was long ago and I can't remember. I do remember the result hybrid was fertile but couldn't find mates because it was stuck between two types of attraction ritual, as to speak. One had something to do with a dance and the other with inflating that... air sac thing on the neck (alas, english fails me this fine winter morning). The hybrid couldn't do either properly, and failed.

I'd guess animals do as animals do; I do know some ligers (what a silly name) were born because lions had access to the tiger's cage while the zoo was cleaning. Nature ensued.

But those animals are quite far apart, environment-wise, at least nowadays. It takes humans to bring 'em together, tigers and lions. And with zebras and horses there is the size problem, too: usually the 'zorse' is born of a mare because horses are generally bigger and the mare can cope with a larger foal. Not sure if that is the only or even the real reason. And obviously, some mares may be too tall for the zebra stallion...

But that is such a silly argument for the 'kind' nonsense. I see it as what it is: speciation - and quite close at that, that they are not so disparate they can still interbreed.

I wonder: in their opinion, is there a 'fish kind'? Yes, 'chickens' breed with 'chickens', 'dogs' breed with 'dogs', sometimes outside the threshold of their species, but what about, say, dogs and foxes, dogs and maned wolves? Or are maned wolves and foxes not 'dogs', in their shallow opinion? They're still canines. How chicken does a chicken have to be to belong to the chicken kind?

Oh, whatever. That is just too silly.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  13:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Siberia.....

"Kind" is easily explained with respect to the Comfort crew and the AIG'ers. The proper definition is kind of stupid. "Baramin" is actually a corruption of baraman, my kind of politician, but I'm afraid not theirs. When they discover the real street meaning of the word, I'm sure they'll drop it like a hot created potato.
But that is such a silly argument for the 'kind' nonsense. I see it as what it is: speciation -
Siberia, baby, it's speciousation; superficially beautiful stupid or attractive dumb but not so in reality : deceptively beautiful unbelievably ignorant!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds.