Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  08:05:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Free donuts for pirates on International Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Is it that time already? Thanks for t' heads up. I must make me plans! Arrrr...

Welcome to the one and only, official, accept-no-substitutes Talk Like A Pirate Day Web site.

English to Pirate.

This be 't! This be th' tide! `Tis Talk Like a Gentleman o' fortune Tide. (Talk Like a Pirate Day.) So whatereyou be an' whatereyou be doin', dasn't forget t' talk like a swashbuckler! Ya lily livered bilge rat! Arrrr...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  08:58:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
XKCD is more time consuming than usual today. The key idea is: Click and Drag

Go to Top of Page

Doctor X
Voluntary Exile

151 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  09:16:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Doctor X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I saw that earlier this morning and did not get it.

--J.D.

His secrets are not sold cheaply.
It is perilous to waste his time.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  09:33:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Doctor X

--J.D.
Wow! That thing is huge!

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Doctor X
Voluntary Exile

151 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:12:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Doctor X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Wow! That thing is huge!

Your Mom did say that . . . yes. . . .

--J.D.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  10:25:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Wow! That thing is huge!

Your Mom did say that . . . yes. . . .

--J.D.

Arrrrrr

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  13:09:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Arrrrrr
Spoken like a true Pirate.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  13:52:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hal

I don't know how much time I spent in there, but decided I was done when I saw the Archeopteryx.

Damn thing needs a bigger window. Sheesh.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Hal
Skeptic Friend

USA
302 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  14:17:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Hal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Hal

I don't know how much time I spent in there, but decided I was done when I saw the Archeopteryx.

Full low-res spoiler map

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  14:42:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, of course I couldn't leave it alone. The image is split up into "tiles," each of which is 2,048 pixels square. I know it runs from tile 33 west to tile 48 east, so the whole thing is 165,888 pixels wide. I don't know how tall it is because it seems that tiles that are either all-white or all-black don't actually have image files associated with them, but if the source code is to be believed, it cover 39 vertical tiles, or 79,872 pixels.

So the whole image, if shown at once, would require 12,636 megapixels. If it were all monochrome, that'd be a 1.5 gigabyte image file (48 gigs in full color).

Edited to note that I'd figured the above stuff out on my own before I saw Hal's comment.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Doctor X
Voluntary Exile

151 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  15:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Doctor X a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There is a "Your Mom" joke in there . . . somewhere . . . but decency prevents me from exploring it . . . like I did . . . YOUR M[Right, stop that.--Ed.]

--J.D.

P.S. I am sure quite a few people unfamiliar with the comic will wonder "this guy has no life" for creating it to which, he probably intended, "you are the one dragging!"

Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2012 :  16:02:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Wow! That thing is huge!
True story!
A 5 year old visits Lake Livingston, Texas for the first time (largest lake inside of Texas) and says "wow, that's really really big". His parent, picking up on how impressed he is, tells him how big the Atlantic Ocean is compared to Lake Livingston and he will see it soon on vacation. His imagination runs wild trying to imagine it. He can't wait to see it and his anticipation builds.

So the big day comes, he hit's the beach, runs across the sand to the oceans edge. With the ocean before him he stands on the waters edge looking out for the first time. There it is "The Atlantic Ocean".

Looking straight out he sees nothing but water. He look right, water. He looks left, water. With nothing before him but 180 degrees of water as far as he can see, with Europe and Africa a few thousand miles away he takes it all in. After a moment he speaks,,,,,

"Somehow, it's not as big as I thought!"

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Edited by - sailingsoul on 09/19/2012 16:05:28
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  05:06:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Hal

Hah. I liked those guys on the rocket:

"Houston, we have a problem"

"That's a negative, Apollo. There are no problems, only opportunities, over"

You know, when I saw that, I thought that it was going to be their last strip: Something that huge and yet so uh, profound would be fitting for a last strip. It's the character in the first two panels who shows up somewhere in the last panel who's talking about how big and wonderful the world is...it reminded me of the last Calvin & Hobbes strip.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 09/20/2012 05:32:06
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  16:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the less patient, Click-and-Drag is now zoomable and linkable. Seeing the whole thing, I'm not as impressed anymore. Really, most of the action is at ground level (or on things that are at ground level). A trip through the whole underworld doesn't take very long. Finding the stuff that isn't "attached" to ground level in some way is hit-or-miss at best, since there aren't any referents and it's mostly empty space, anyway.

At first, tooling around Click-and-Drag a little bit, I was reminded of Jerry's Map (which was unbelievably hard to find again), and I was hoping there'd be "stuff" everywhere in the XKCD world. Instead, it's 95%+ blank, and a little disappointing that way.

Still, a remarkable effort. And fun on its own, if you don't compare it to other works.
Originally posted by the_ignored

You know, when I saw that, I thought that it was going to be their last strip: Something that huge and yet so uh, profound would be fitting for a last strip. It's the character in the first two panels who shows up somewhere in the last panel who's talking about how big and wonderful the world is...it reminded me of the last Calvin & Hobbes strip.
Ig, that character shows up again.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

estetik1122
spammer

USA
1 Post

Posted - 09/20/2012 :  22:57:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send estetik1122 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this very helpful guide on how to comment. This will be very helpful for those you are just starting to blog.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Deleted link.

Kil
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.95 seconds.