Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 44

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  01:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great story, Dave, thanks.
Originally posted by Kil

Wow! I don't think I've ever been that stoned! What the heck did they give her?

Thing is, if we ever were that stoned with that kind of amnesia-causing drug, we would not remember the experience. We'd think witnesses were making up the story to tease us.

I've had both anterograde and retrograde amnesia, in separate incidents.

Around 1965, I flipped my dirt bike and knocked myself silly. I was doings jumps from a construction site embankment during a Navy leave. I can remember nothing but starting the run toward the embankment, then getting up off the dirt. I immediately asked my brother if I was still in the Navy. That was retrograde amnesia.

In 2003, I had a stroke, which gave me anterograde amnesia. My memories of the past before the stroke were clear, but my ability to record memories of events afterward was shaky. Though I have largely recovered, my ability to remember new events still remains somewhat worse than prior to the stroke.

The drug used on that girl seems to cause retrograde short-term memory amnesia.

I imagine this scenario: Spies grab an enemy spy from while walking home from a bar, where he has had a few drinks. They take him to a safe-house and interrogate him, perhaps water-board him. They get the info they are after, then give him more alcohol and a shot of a drug that causes retrograde amnesia, drop him off at his home doorstep. If done cleverly enough, neither the spy nor this handlers might ever know that he betrayed a secret. And I'm pretty sure the trick has been tried.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/01/2012 10:10:13
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  03:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
The reason for it just being a local this latest time versus the whole cocktail that earlier time was that the roots of at least one of the two wisdom teeth they removed the earlier time were twisted and angled so weirdly that they needed to cut one of the teeth into four parts to remove it all, while the roots of the molar they removed 23 days ago were relatively straight. This last time, I was awake and totally aware of everything, and drove myself home afterwards. And I wished, during the procedure, that they'd anesthetized my neck, 'cause the way the surgeon was yanking on that tooth nearly gave me whiplash.

When I had my wisdom tooth, they just pulled it with local anasthesia.
My wife tells me she also had local only, when they had to first drill in one of the teeth before they could crack it open and pull it out in pieces. Then stich up the gum afterward.
She was awake during the whole procedure. Her dentist had glasses, so she could observe the whole procedure in the reflection from them.
On the other hand, my brother was put under when they took out all four at the same time.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  08:56:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Great story, Dave, thanks.
Originally posted by Kil

Wow! I don't think I've ever been that stoned! What the heck did they give her?

Thing is, if we ever were that stoned with that kind of amnesia-causing drug, we would not remember the experience. We'd think witnesses were making up the story to tease us.

I've had both anterograde and retrograde amnesia, in separate incidents.

Around 1965, I flipped my dirt bike and knocked myself silly. I was doings jumps from a construction site embankment during a Navy leave. I can remember nothing but starting the run toward the embankment, then getting up off the dirt. I immediately asked my brother if I was still in the Navy. That was retrograde amnesia.
Oh yeah. I drove a car off a cliff some 35 years ago. One moment I was driving and the next I was in an ambulance. I have no recollection of what went wrong. I don't know if I had a system failure (brakes) or if I was dodging an oncoming car or anything. The doctor told me that because I hit my head (nothing really bad, a slight concussion), that it probably happened before the memory of driving off the cliff and why it happened could be imprinted. So I guess that's an example of retrograde amnesia.

They did a brain scan and an EEG and everything and found no real damage. On the upside, I finally had empirical evidence that I have a brain and it wasn't a piece of swiss cheese from dropping too much acid.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  23:14:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'd almost forgotten...

One day back in 6th grade, waiting for the last bell to ring and send us off to the buses, I was standing with my back against the classroom's door frame. Standing opposite me, back against the other side of the door frame, was the booger-eating kid almost everyone in class hated.

Just as the last bell finally rang, one of the meaner kids in the class tried to walk between the hated kid and I, and purposefully tried to push the hated kid out into the hall. That kid, though, was apparently well-braced against the door frame, and so the mean kid wound up just pushing himself into me, and I squirted, like a pinched watermelon seed, out into the hallway. I remember everything up to this point...

...because the end of the hallway was a mere three feet from the side of the doorway that I'd been standing against. The end of the hallway being a cinder-block wall. The back of my skull must have met that wall, pretty hard, because the next thing I remember is the teacher kneeling over me, trying to wake me up. She'd been sitting at her desk, in the opposite corner of the classroom, when the bell had rung. It must have taken some time for some kid or other to decide that I was in trouble, and either yell for the teacher or fight through the throng of children trying to leave, and for the teacher to get across the room, out the door and to me.

And when I woke up, I saw stars. I'd thought, up to that point, that "seeing stars" was just an expression, but learned right then that the phenomenon is real.

The mean kid, visibly shaken, apologized to me a lot, explained the mean thing he'd tried to do and proclaimed that I wasn't the target of his violence. And then, unbelievably for this day-and-age, I was simply helped to my feet and sent off to meet my bus. Obviously there was no major brain damage... maybe.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  11:36:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While not knowing exactly what drugs are involved but I'm sure it's more than one for wisdom extractions. I believe one of them is the one used in date rape cases. It would take a real kind of lowlife to use that kind of drug, that way.

I had 3 wisdom teeth removed in one setting. My forth one never developed to be there!!?? Anyway one, viewed by ex-ray, had developed rotated 90 degrees so the top surface was against the tooth forward of it and it's two roots pointing back horizontally, completely burried under my gums. I think they said they had to use a jack hammer to get that one out. What a hole that one left compared to the other two. It was not done by my dentist but by some kind of special oral surgeon who couldn't be bother filling a cavity. I was bleeding for three days and couldn't eat at all for a few days. Gosh that was an ordeal to get through. Feeling around now I could never tell there were ever any holes.

That girl did not remember any of that and the video was just to precious.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2012 :  17:26:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't recall the outpatient procedure that I was having. A young nurse was trying to start an IV in the back of my right hand. I felt a pinch, looked to my left where my wife was sitting, and said I don't feel good. My next memories as a more senior nurse revived me were initially intense bright light, but my field of vision was very narrow. As my field of vision grew the bright light was still there and the face of the nurse reviving me. It was likely mere seconds as what I could see grew to where normal vision was restored. The next thing I said to my wife was that I did not know that I had an off switch. The young nurse was successful on her next attempt.

What I now find interesting is had my narrow vision of the light and nurses face lasted for several seconds I can well imagine the face become familiar within my mind.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2012 :  19:30:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which delusion fits your sweet spot.
Most likely your parents.

There are only two types of religious people, the deceivers and the deceived. SS
Go to Top of Page

sailingsoul
SFN Addict

2830 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2012 :  19:41:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send sailingsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Results from watching to much "Discovery Channel" or "The Learning Channel (TLC) over the last 12 years or after the 1990's.

Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2012 :  23:39:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by sailingsoul

Results from watching to much "Discovery Channel" or "The Learning Channel (TLC) over the last 12 years or after the 1990's.

Well then, I will spin clockwise when I can, thus indirectly converting some of the energy from our nearby star to slow the decay of the rotation of our planet.

Edited by - ThorGoLucky on 12/14/2012 23:41:07
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  00:30:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm playing the free MMORG game, Forsaken World lately. I witnessed the following, which I wish I could un-witness. Now that the tutoring show-and-tell session is over, I sincerely hope Hagen will put away his "mining equipment" ...

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  12:40:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WTF?

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2012 :  21:20:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

WTF?

LOL, background pipe and bend.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2012 :  02:24:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by ThorGoLucky

Originally posted by Kil

WTF?

LOL, background pipe and bend.

Correct, Thor!

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  14:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jesus is a scumbag.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

ThorGoLucky
Snuggle Wolf

USA
1486 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2012 :  17:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ThorGoLucky's Homepage Send ThorGoLucky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Jesus is a scumbag.

A while back, I unsubscribed from The Amazing Atheist because of unwarranted ad hominem attacks and other dickishness, but I liked this video and saw some of myself in him when I have fun arguing with myself.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds.