Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Zeked
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  20:43:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zeked a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First thing I thought of about the Palin pick, is the GOP is in more trouble than I had thought. I had figured that at best, the very best - 1/3 of the delegates to the RNC were in stealth mode and going to try to force a 2nd round vote to break obligations. That would be chaos.

If this is some kind of Romney/Huck/Paul peace offering to delegates, I'm not sure how well it is going over. Some seem to be eating it up. I don't know if there could have been a less qualified individual than Palin. “Hey Zeke, stop eating tacos and come be the VP”. Well, it could have been worse.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  20:56:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Zeke, they could have picked a centrist like me, or a guldurned liberal like Kil. As a maybe-libertarian, you would have been a better pick for the Repulicans than either of us.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  22:55:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WTF... as a person who lives in a hurricane risk zone, that is just beyond disturbing. Fuck those two dickweed asshats. This storm could END the Big Easy, permanently. If it lands on them again (and it looks as if it has a good chance) there is no doubt people will die. The day labor who is afraid to get on the evac bus because they don't have US documents.

I read an article just a couple of weeks ago on the state of the levee system around New Orleans, and one engineer was of the opinion that even a cat2 hurricane would overwhelm what is in place now. And this thing looks to be a 4 when it lands monday.

Even IF this works in favor of dems politically (and it may well do just that), these two are so far out of line that they should be fired. You just can't be happy about lives lost and billions of dollars of property damage.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  23:01:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeked said:
If this is some kind of Romney/Huck/Paul peace offering to delegates, I'm not sure how well it is going over. Some seem to be eating it up.

This pick is McCain running to the base. He is weak among the rabidly religious, and somebody thinks this crazy religious freakazoid girl will rally them. With Dobson quickly flipping to McCain's side now... maybe they are correct.

How much traction this gets him total... I dunno. I see it as a net minus for him. It takes the "experience" play out of the book, and no woman who supported Hillary because of her politics can think of supporting the McCain ticket and this woman anyway.

As I said before, the best thing this gets him is Biden has to put on the kid-gloves when debating her, and the rest of the dems can't rip her to hard either. So they will spend all their time ripping McCain instead... so net minus for Jonny.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2008 :  23:36:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Pleco.

Joe Biden should not -- and I suspect will not -- patronize Palin by being easy on her. Screw that!

She's playing ball in the "bigs" now. Tough campaigning goes along with that. Slam her for her NeoCon, Creationist crap. And have at her hard for trying to get her sister's ex-husband fired for personal reasons.

I think Biden is smart enough to find ways of humiliating his opposite number without looking like a bully picking on a helpless little girl. One way is simply throwing her own quotes back at her, and by showing his far better knowledge of the affairs of state.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 08/30/2008 23:43:04
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  19:19:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To use Dude's terminology, Michael Moore is now a dickweed asshat.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  20:31:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

To use Dude's terminology, Michael Moore is now a dickweed asshat.
And then there is the version that doesn't take the quote out of context...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lrAf_TE-1I&feature=related

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  20:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I don't see how it makes him less of an asshat. It's a joke in really bad taste, at best.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  21:09:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Originally posted by Kil

I don't see how it makes him less of an asshat. It's a joke in really bad taste, at best.
Perhaps, but the version you used didn't include the part where Moore says he doesn't actually wish harm on on anyone and he hopes that everyone takes cover. Then there were the comments coming from the Dobson camp and how Bush and McCain were literally eating cake while New Orleans was drowning.

Yes, bad joke. But in the clip you linked to, the joke was purposely taken out of context to make it sound even worse than it was. Hell, they cut the sound at exactly the moment that Moore says he doesn't really wish any harm, etc. He is really commenting on the coincidence of the storm coming just when it is in the context of a larger picture.

Again, bad choice of words. And again, your clip was cut for maximum propaganda effect.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  22:35:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if Moore and Olberman were just making fun of the dickweed fuckwit preacher who told his mega-flock to pray for rain during the Dem convention.... they should still shut the hell up.

This ain't funny. Gustav has already killed 81 people, and as of right now (130am EST, Sep-01-2008) it looks like a repeat of Katrina. Probably going to hit just west of New Orleans (bad for New Orleans, since the east side of a hurricane is the most powerful) as a cat 3, 15foot storm surge, torrential inland rains with major flooding, tornados, etc.

More people are going to die, and a lot of stuff is going to be broken.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  22:38:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
oh yeah... Moore has ALWAYS been a dickweed asshat!

Much as I agree with him on a few issues, there are some where I really disagree.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  22:52:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Perhaps, but the version you used...
Actually, what I linked to was a blog post which included text and comments about what came next. It's still pretty bad, even in context.

It's one thing to point to the failed response of the government after a disaster and say, "well, that showed the Republicans to be clowns." It's quite another to say, before the disaster, "the upcoming disaster will be a good thing for Democrats."

"Dickweed asshat" is a perfectly reasonable term for anyone who said, pre-Katrina, "this storm is going to make the Democrats look good by making the Republicans look bad."

Because even joking about it makes the Democrats look bad.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2008 :  23:58:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welp, I give. I suppose that if only a couple of nights before, Dobson and crew were praying for bad weather to ruin the last night of the Democratic convention, turning that around on them while saying you don't really actually mean it suggests that you are insensitive to the impending disaster. I guess that it's better to play it safe and not point out the irony of the situation.

His remark wasn't about the storm being "a good thing for the Democrats." It was a pointed remark directed at the idiots who thought God would help them out a few nights earlier. http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/message/index.php?id=229

Now, I think the remark came off badly, as I said. Mostly because he didn't set it up right. But I understand his intentions, and I think they are well founded.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  03:56:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it Dobson who wanted to pray for rain on Obama's parade? I'd thought it was some other mega-church mega-mouth -- although I'm sure that the Dobster was in his closet a'prayin' to beat thunder. Right.

This is no more than another case of foot-in-mouth syndrome, common enough at any time but epidemic during election cycles. It is only newsworthy because, hungry for copy, the media gleefully made it so. Nobody, well, almost nobody, wants the Big Easy to drown again.

I was wondering to what purpose McCain & Whasserface are going to LA. There is nothing they can do there, as they have no authority whatsoever, either national or local. But then -- I'm a little slow sometimes -- I caught on; they are going to make Gustav a campaign tool and seize the opportunity for tears of doubtful compassion before the cameras. That seems a bit cynical to me, but nevertheless, there you have it. It's going to work -- Gustav is the best thing that could have happened for the Republican ticket and the Obama's parade will indeed get rained on.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/01/2008 04:01:47
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2008 :  07:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny how you don't hear the mega-mouths come out and pray for things which have a really low probability of happening, like Gustav magically disappearing or that amputees will grow limbs back. I wonder why?

I'm in Mobile - so far here we've had about 20-30 tornado warnings, a lot of rain and some tropical storm strength wind. Overall not near as bad as Katrina was here. News reports seem to be better than Katrina was for New Orleans and Mississippi, but we'll know for sure in several hours after it has moved further inland.

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.