New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  08:30:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Well, it's Wednesday and raining, the collider has been chilled down & fired up, and no little, bitty black holes yet. I am cautiously optimistic, or at least slightly less pessimistic than usual.

As it happens, Stephen Hawking has a $100USD bet on that there will be found no Higg's Boson, or "God particle," as it were. I'd not bet into him on the topic.

But I must remind that the only law in the whole, freakin' universe that actually means anything is Murphy's, so the findings of this magnificent experiment should be surprising at the least.

If Murphy rules the day, we're all doomed!

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:17:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As it happens, Stephen Hawking has a $100USD bet on that there will be found no Higg's Boson, or "God particle," as it were. I'd not bet into him on the topic.

I think I would take that bet. Not that I'm very knowledgeable on the topic, but just reading Hawking's statement leads me to believe he thinks it probably will be found but sort of hopes it won't because that outcome would be even more exciting/interesting.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  09:46:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobi

Well, it's Wednesday and raining, the collider has been chilled down & fired up, and no little, bitty black holes yet. I am cautiously optimistic, or at least slightly less pessimistic than usual.

But I must remind that the only law in the whole, freakin' universe that actually means anything is Murphy's, so the findings of this magnificent experiment should be surprising at the least.

How could you have possibly gotton the idea that it could be or ever was otherwise? Even the very existence of all those religious texts concerning screwball deities confirm it over and over -- it's the only thing they get right.

Murphy rules, bro. Murphy rules. Pass the popcorn.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:08:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by chaloobi

How could you have possibly gotton the idea that it could be or ever was otherwise? Even the very existence of all those religious texts concerning screwball deities confirm it over and over -- it's the only thing they get right.

Murphy rules, bro. Murphy rules. Pass the popcorn.

In all honesty, the world being consumed by a CERN induced black hole would not bother me all that much. It's not like anything around here really matters anyway. Now, getting blown up by a religious fanatic would totally piss me off. But there's something comforting about going down a black whole with every other living thing. Afterall, dying isn't the issue. We all do that. Even extinction really isn't bothersome - what species won't go extinct? It's how you go that really matters. And even being killed by a planetary collision or by a supernova explosion isn't cooler than getting sucked into a black hole, especially one we made ourselves.

-Chaloobi

Edited by - chaloobi on 09/10/2008 10:13:38
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  10:21:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by chaloobiIn all honesty, the world being consumed by a CERN induced black hole would not bother me all that much. It's not like anything around here really matters anyway. Now, getting blown up by a religious fanatic would totally piss me off. But there's something comforting about going down a black whole with every other living thing. Afterall, dying isn't the issue. We all do that. Even extinction really isn't bothersome - what species won't go extinct? It's [i]how you go that really matters. And even being killed by a planetary collision or by a supernova explosion isn't cooler than getting sucked into a black hole, especially one we made ourselves.

It would be rather poetic wouldn't it....even if a poem could never be written about it.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.