Tethered wind turbine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  09:28:01  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/project-earth/project-earth.html

bng, you had asked me previously about tethered wind turbines... here is some new info.

Latest episode of Discovery Project Earth (show about various geoengineering concepts) has a working prototype of a tethered wind turbine. The scaled down model is operational at 300feet, but is the full scale model would operate at 1000feet. Well below the 15k feet of other tethered wind turbine ideas.

This is the helium baloon turbine idea, and it works. With some continued refinement and scaling up... these could provide a lot of electricity.

Cool stuff!

Oh yeah.... the full episodes are available to watch online. This is a neat little tv show despite the scripted narrator drama.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:02:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lots of bugs to be worked out though. But then, were not talking about any major money being put into the project yet.

There was also an episode on increasing phytoplankton in desert areas of the ocean by pumping cold water, rich in nutrients, up from the bottom to create a hospitable environment for the plankton to thrive. The idea is that the phytoplankton will absorb CO2 as all plants do and then drop to the bottom as they do in areas where they regularly thrive. The effect would be to get rid of huge amounts of the gas. I suppose this would also create new habitats for other sea life further up on the food chain.

My concern is that messing with ecosystems is very tricky business. The Oceans taken as a whole are extremely complex systems subject to the whims of "chaos" because there is no way to factor in every possible bit of data that could effect the outcome.

Anyhow, I'm sure you can find the episode using Dude's link.

And yeah, the Discovery Channel scientists seemed to be there to produce some drama...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zeked
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:48:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zeked a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the company that has sprung the design from that episode.

http://www.magenn.com/

Cool that they got it to function without a rigid central axle. I didn't think it would work.

The US Border patrol uses unmanned blimps, and one could probably gather much information about the logistics of maintaining a blimp from their program. I think what Magenn has is much lower maintenance, still good info from USBP.

I'm tempted to go take some pictures of the massive wind turbine farms just 30 miles East of here. I know it is a hot area of investment, but it is still not a viable technology without the infusion of substantial subsidies. The electric bill here only increases and the aged grid that feeds this area craps out on a dialy basis. No need to turn off the computer, it will be turned off for you. Thanks you Texas electric.

The Discovery show made it clear that to have the ~15 million blimp wind generators needed to visibly effect climate warming in the myopic CO2 computer models - this exceeded the amount of worldwide helium production that would be required to fly the blimps.

The tether system knocked my socks off. That is awesome. Like to see them add a strand of fiber optic and put a small WiFi/WiMax payload onboard.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  10:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zeked:
The Discovery show made it clear that to have the ~15 million blimp wind generators needed to visibly effect climate warming in the myopic CO2 computer models - this exceeded the amount of worldwide helium production that would be required to fly the blimps.

Right, so a way needs to be found to reduce CO2 levels so that not as many blimps, or whatever, would be needed. That's where the phytoplankton idea comes into the picture.

A multi pronged approach is probably the most realistic way to go, whatever those approaches might turn out to be.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  11:50:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With any large scale project there will be unintended consequences.

The tethered wind turbine featured looks to have great potential though. Giant helium balloons holding up wind turbines is also, imo, very cool.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  20:03:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually liking kites, more. For one thing, all of the mechanical-to-electrical conversion equipment stays on the ground, making maintenance cheap and easy.

For another, in an emergency so dire that you need to cut the tether, you're out at most a couple hundred bucks, instead of tens or hundreds of thousands.

And no helium needed.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  20:45:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

I'm actually liking kites, more. For one thing, all of the mechanical-to-electrical conversion equipment stays on the ground, making maintenance cheap and easy.

For another, in an emergency so dire that you need to cut the tether, you're out at most a couple hundred bucks, instead of tens or hundreds of thousands.

And no helium needed.
How does a kite turn a generator?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  21:09:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

How does a kite turn a generator?
The simplest way is to mount one end of a spring on the ground, and tie the kite to the other end. Places with "constant" wind don't really have constant wind speeds, so you tension the spring for the average wind speed, and you convert the up-and-down motion of the kite (as the wind speed increases and decreases naturally, sometimes second-by-second) into rotary motion for a generator.

A more sophisticated version uses a wind-inflating airfoil kite. You let the wind carry the kite higher and higher, using the reel motion itself to turn a generator, and when the tether is exhausted you partially collapse the kite so that it takes less energy to reel it back down than was generated on the way up. As soon as it gets near the minimum operational altitude, you re-engage the generator clutch, allow the kite to completely inflate again and turn off the winding mechanism (which could be little more than a flywheel and a clutch, itself).

I've seen YouTube videos of prototypes of both. Too busy to go find 'em right now.

You'd really want to mount either solution on a free-spinning turntable, so they would self-align with the wind for optimal efficiency. But that only adds an oil can to the cost of maintenance.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.