Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  21:43:00  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5782924&page=1

To recap:

She doesn't know what the word "hubris" means. Think about that, she lacks the vocabulary of your average HS student prepping for the SAT.

She doesn't know what the "Bush Doctrine" is. She wants to be VP, yet she doesn't know the phrase for pre-emptive war that has been widely used by government and media for 5 years.

She seemed genuine on her answer about the "god's plan" stuff. STILL insane, just less insane than it appears when you see her giving that speech.

She is fairly good at the "dodge". She refused to give direct answers to many of the questions. Instead she employs the old tactic of starting to answer a slightly different question than the one asked and follow the subject shift until you can toss off a paragraph about the subject you want to interject while ignoring the question. A reliable debate tactic because it fools your audience when they are less well informed on a subject than you are.

She also employs the "Gish-gallup", vomiting up 10 non-related things in rapid succession, confusing the questioner.

Bet they will be "drilling" that skill for the debate.

All in all, she is a shrub on par with Bush. No wonder the "base" loves her, never have to worry that she will make them feel like the retards they are.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2008 :  22:43:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's painful to watch such an interview, especially to see the sort of personality that a major political party chose to be a heartbeat from the presidency. There's also a note in her frenetic speech patterns that reminds me of some schizophrenics I've known, and quite honestly this raises my hackles more than anything.

Being Vice President isn't supposed to be like being a presidential page, where a sharp youngster might learn a thing or two about politics, if not statesmanship. Palin instead needs to go back to Middle School, and take a class in current events. After she flunks that, perhaps a good guidance counselor could direct her to a job appropriate to her abilities. (Maybe a Starbuck's barrista?)

So what did John McCain give us?: A crazed, anti-science fundy with no better knowledge of national or international politics that Joe Blow's slow brother. A one-term governor of a state which has less population than many cities. Investigations about abuse of power to destroy her sister's ex, and about her taking state per diem payments for living in her own home, when such payments are supposed to be given to cover boarding while away on state business. The sorts of things one might expect to hear about a crooked small-town mayor somewhere in the Louisiana bayous.

In other words, Palin's already looking like a stupid, ignorant, fanatic crook. Nice start.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  05:59:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=5782924&page=1

She doesn't know what the word "hubris" means. Think about that, she lacks the vocabulary of your average HS student prepping for the SAT.
I think this is a stretch. She answered the question as a politician.

She doesn't know what the "Bush Doctrine" is. She wants to be VP, yet she doesn't know the phrase for pre-emptive war that has been widely used by government and media for 5 years.
Not good.

She is fairly good at the "dodge". She refused to give direct answers to many of the questions. Instead she employs the old tactic of starting to answer a slightly different question than the one asked and follow the subject shift until you can toss off a paragraph about the subject you want to interject while ignoring the question. A reliable debate tactic because it fools your audience when they are less well informed on a subject than you are.

She also employs the "Gish-gallup", vomiting up 10 non-related things in rapid succession, confusing the questioner.
Unfortuanatly not any different than any other politician.

All in all, she is a shrub on par with Bush. No wonder the "base" loves her, never have to worry that she will make them feel like the retards they are.
At least she thinks she is best qualified for the job.

By the way, where are your comments on the Obama interview with O'Reilly? I guess he was perfect.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  06:30:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being thourally fed up with media ejaculations over Sarah Palin, and firmly believing that O'Reilly should have his jaw ripped off and used to rake out his carcass for canned weasle food, I didn't watch either. But I did read about them. Evidently, Obama kept his cool and stayed pretty much on message. And Palin was as described above.

If McCain wins, then croaks, we are in such deep shit!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  07:17:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb
By the way, where are your comments on the Obama interview with O'Reilly? I guess he was perfect.
First off, since when is Dude required to post comments on something? And second, there's a big difference between on the one hand doing an interview with hostile media and holding one's own, and, on the other hand, doing an interview where you are thrown softballs and still looking like an idiot.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  07:31:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Robb, the Obama interview with Bill-O was on FAUX. I refuse to give them my time. I did read a transcript though.

Oreilly was actually close to reasonable, an unusual state of affairs for him. Obama is far from perfect... but he answered the questions asked of him. Sometimes he gave the politician "dodge", but mostly he gave answers. He is also clearly intelligent and articulate. I know that is a negative for half the US electorate, but thats because they are too stupid to understand that the president shouldn't be a "C" student.

Palin, in her interview, clearly doesn't know what "hubris" means. Watch the video. She answered with bafflegab to cover the fact she doesn't understand the word. The ONLY honest answer to that question would be "Yes, it does take some hubris to consider yourself the best person for the job." Then you could go on to make the very true analogy that this is true for any job. When you apply you have to think you are better than the other applicants, even for things like a UPS driver, or any competitive position. Say nothing of high political offices. Then you temper that pride by saying that your motivation is service to others, which is very often true (even with politicians).

She didn't know the word....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  19:33:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palin, part 2:

More of the same 10 answers she memorized. She hears a keyword, she repeats her memorized line. Stepford style!

Robb: Also, I didn't comment on the Obama FAUX interview because Obama has done DOZENS of interviews, probably a hundred stump speeches, and twenty something debates in the primary.

Palin, on the other hand, has given one speech at the convention, been to a handful of McCain stumping events, and hidden herself away from the media for 9 days (since she was chosen as McCain's running mate) without giving an interview.

Her first interview is occasion for comment. Obama going on FAUX for his 30th or 40th interview of the campaign season is not news.

Let me ask you Robb.... When you watch or read the Palin interview, what is your reaction? What is your opinion of her? I ask because I suspect you are a fan, that her stance on abortion (and one or two other issues) gets her your vote, with no consideration for anything else.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2008 :  22:36:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Help me out here Robb. What is your answer to my question?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Zeked
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  00:22:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zeked a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Kinda sums up my thoughts on the Palin matter.

Photo from steve Isaacs, http://ratherfancy.tumblr.com/post/49914970/steve-isaacs

I don't know how to sum up my thoughts on the Dems. Most pictures that come to mind are NSFW.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  12:00:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Palin's hubris:

"WASILLA, Alaska — Gov. Sarah Palin lives by the maxim that all politics is local, not to mention personal.

So when there was a vacancy at the top of the State Division of Agriculture, she appointed a high school classmate, Franci Havemeister, to the $95,000-a-year directorship. A former real estate agent, Ms. Havemeister cited her childhood love of cows as a qualification for running the roughly $2 million agency.

Ms. Havemeister was one of at least five schoolmates Ms. Palin hired, often at salaries far exceeding their private sector wages.

When Ms. Palin had to cut her first state budget, she avoided the legion of frustrated legislators and mayors. Instead, she huddled with her budget director and her husband, Todd, an oil field worker who is not a state employee, and vetoed millions of dollars of legislative projects.

And four months ago, a Wasilla blogger, Sherry Whitstine, who chronicles the governor's career with an astringent eye, answered her phone to hear an assistant to the governor on the line, she said.

“You should be ashamed!” Ivy Frye, the assistant, told her. “Stop blogging. Stop blogging right now!”

Ms. Palin walks the national stage as a small-town foe of “good old boy” politics and a champion of ethics reform. The charismatic 44-year-old governor draws enthusiastic audiences and high approval ratings. And as the Republican vice-presidential nominee, she points to her management experience while deriding her Democratic rivals, Senators Barack Obama and Joseph R. Biden Jr., as speechmakers who never have run anything.

But an examination of her swift rise and record as mayor of Wasilla and then governor finds that her visceral style and penchant for attacking critics — she sometimes calls local opponents “haters” — contrasts with her carefully crafted public image.

Throughout her political career, she has pursued vendettas, fired officials who crossed her and sometimes blurred the line between government and personal grievance, according to a review of public records and interviews with 60 Republican and Democratic legislators and local officials.

Still, Ms. Palin has many supporters. As a two-term mayor she paved roads and built an ice rink, and as governor she has pushed through higher taxes on the oil companies that dominate one-third of the state's economy. She stirs deep emotions. In Wasilla, many residents display unflagging affection, cheering “our Sarah” and hissing at her critics.

“She is bright and has unfailing political instincts,” said Steve Haycox, a history professor at the University of Alaska. “She taps very directly into anxieties about the economic future.”

“But,” he added, “her governing style raises a lot of hard questions.”

Ms. Palin declined to grant an interview for this article. The McCain-Palin campaign responded to some questions on her behalf and that of her husband, while referring others to the governor's spokespeople, who did not respond.

Lt. Gov. Sean Parnell said Ms. Palin had conducted an accessible and effective administration in the public's interest. “Everything she does is for the ordinary working people of Alaska,” he said.

In Wasilla, a builder said he complained to Mayor Palin when the city attorney put a stop-work order on his housing project. She responded, he said, by engineering the attorney's firing.

Interviews show that Ms. Palin runs an administration that puts a premium on loyalty and secrecy. The governor and her top officials sometimes use personal e-mail accounts for state business; dozens of e-mail messages obtained by The New York Times show that her staff members studied whether that could allow them to circumvent subpoenas seeking public records."

A very interesting read -- Bush with brains. I found it at PZ's.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/14/2008 12:05:21
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2008 :  18:03:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Robb

Originally posted by Dude

Unfortuanatly not any different than any other politician.
Not much of a maverick, is she. Or McSame for that matter.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  09:36:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

A very interesting read -- Bush with brains. I found it at PZ's.

I wouldn't go that far....she only plays a smart person on TV...and even that seems to be failing.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  11:04:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say, she is only slightly smarter than average.
Hardly a prowess; but its enough to fool people until the elections.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  13:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And she walks with the dinosaurs, or at least her immediate ancestors did.
Palin was an avowed young earth creationist in 1997, according to Philip Munger:

As the ceremony concluded, I bumped into her in a hall away from other people. I congratulated her on her victory, and took her aside to ask about her faith. Among other things, she declared that she was a young earth creationist, accepting both that the world was about 6,000-plus years old, and that humans and dinosaurs walked the earth at the same time. I asked how she felt about the second coming and the end times. She responded that she fully believed that the signs of Jesus returning soon "during MY lifetime," were obvious. "I can see that, maybe you can't - but it guides me every day."

Munger reports that she later softened her stance to say that she "wasn't necessarily" a young earth creationist anymore, but that her faith in the impending apocalypse remained undiminished.

Palin's running mate, John McCain, claims to believe in evolution, but that didn't stop him from delivering a 2007 keynote address to the Discovery Institute, a major ID lobby group.

When Palin is finally allowed to answer questions from the media, let's see whether she's still committed to a "hands off" policy when it comes to the science curriculum. Or, will she pander to the Republican base and embrace creationism in the schools wholeheartedly?
And as for McCain:
Memories Of Keating

by digby

As we watch yet another Republican financial crisis unfold before our very eyes, everybody needs to employ Mr Google to read up a little bit on the Keating Five scandal. McCain was big, big pals with Charles Keating. He spoke up for Keating with the regulators, buying him more space to defraud his investors --- and the taxpayers --- even more than he already had. He has not changed his philosophy since then. In fact, his closest economic advisor, Phil Gram, apparently believes that these firms should be completely unregulated and then bailed out by the taxpayers on a regular basis.

John McCain has a long history with bank failures and financial scandals. He created his whole reform persona around the idea that he'd come too close to the flame and gotten burned. But he hasn't changed his philosophy or his policies one bit. He believes in the same scam his close advisor Phil "you're all a bunch of whiners" Gramm believes. He pretended for years that the problem was solely in the campaign finance system, burnishing his image with signature legislation that has proven to be completely useless. Meanwhile, he backs deregulation like it comes down from Mt Sinai.
Plus he'll suck up to anyone who'll further his ambitions, as the nomination of Palin clearly shows.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Zeked
Skeptic Friend

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2008 :  15:01:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zeked a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What brains Palin had before, are being mushified by her neocon handlers. Just reading the transcript of the interview and one could imagine Bill Kristol giving the answers instead of Palin.

She's done. Never to have another non-neoconservative thought that was not pre-cooked by; the American Enterprise Institute, the Heritage Foundation, the Hoover Institution, the Hudson Institute, AIPAC, the Brookings Institue and Foundation for the Defense of Democracies.

By now, Palins' brains are rotting neocon compost.
Edited by - Zeked on 09/15/2008 15:02:24
Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2008 :  01:34:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what at least one person who knew her has to say, her own thoughts are bad enough...

It confirmed, they said, that God was making use of Wasilla. "She will take our message to the world!" rejoiced an Assembly of God youth ministry leader, as the church band rocked the high-vaulted wooden building with its electric gospel.

That is what scares the Rev. Howard Bess. A retired American Baptist minister who pastors a small congregation in nearby Palmer, Wasilla's twin town in Alaska's Matanuska Valley, Bess has been tangling with Palin and her fellow evangelical activists ever since she was a Wasilla City Council member in the 1990s. Recently, Bess again found himself in the spotlight with Palin, when it was reported that his 1995 book, "Pastor, I Am Gay," was among those Palin tried to have removed from the Wasilla Public Library when she was mayor.

"She scares me," said Bess. "She's Jerry Falwell with a pretty face.

"At this point, people in this country don't grasp what this person is all about. The key to understanding Sarah Palin is understanding her radical theology."

From page two:

At one point during the hospital battle, passions ran so hot that local antiabortion activists organized a boisterous picket line outside Dr. Lemagie's office, in an unassuming professional building across from Palmer's Little League field. According to Bess and another community activist, among the protesters trying to disrupt the physician's practice that day was Sarah Palin.

Another valley activist, Philip Munger, says that Palin also helped push the evangelical drive to take over the Mat-Su Borough school board. "She wanted to get people who believed in creationism on the board," said Munger, a music composer and teacher. "I bumped into her once after my band played at a graduation ceremony at the Assembly of God. I said, 'Sarah, how can you believe in creationism -- your father's a science teacher.' And she said, 'We don't have to agree on everything.'

"I pushed her on the earth's creation, whether it was really less than 7,000 years old and whether dinosaurs and humans walked the earth at the same time. And she said yes, she'd seen images somewhere of dinosaur fossils with human footprints in them."

Munger also asked Palin if she truly believed in the End of Days, the doomsday scenario when the Messiah will return. "She looked in my eyes and said, 'Yes, I think I will see Jesus come back to earth in my lifetime.'"

Read on, it gets better.

Nice thing is, this is from people who've met her and have known her for years, not just some political hack who people can accuse of something. Even if they can accuse the site of it, they'd have to explain away the stories of the people the site (Salon.com) interviewed.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds.