My new conspiracy theory
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  09:27:14  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old one was the GOP was going to give up on this election knowing that Obama can't fix things in four years. Thereby giving them a big push to take back the Presidency and the House and the Senate.

New theory: They will pull out every "swift boat" tactic they can to try and win. If they do win McCain will last a few months before he suddenly dies of a heart attack or stroke...(no accident). Thereby putting their pretty little puppet in power (totally under their control of course).

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  09:43:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pfeew.
That one step beyond your previous one. Coldly calculating and making the better of a loosing election and planning cold blooded murder; on the president no less...

That's a big stretch.

I can see some among the most conservators hoping that McCain would croack. Even praying for it (in the name of Lord Jebus so it makes it all ok), but actively workng on it? No. I don't see it.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  09:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by astropin
Thereby putting their pretty little puppet in power (totally under their control of course).
Ahhhh... Just like the Bush presidency...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  10:56:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Thereby putting their pretty little puppet in power (totally under their control of course).
Ahhhh... Just like the Bush presidency...

EXACTLY!

You know I kid......right? I'm not a conspiracy theory kind a guy (unless we are talking about how W. got in office....twice :) )

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  11:22:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry; I missed the sarcasm.

But yeah; being sceptical of conspiracy theories does not mean not believing in any conspiracies.
Some are very real. They just are, generally, much more mundane that what conspiracy theorist imagine...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  11:37:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Unintentional Conpiracy,
Most fall under this heading, they have a surprising lack of mustache twirling.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  11:40:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

The Unintentional Conpiracy,
Most fall under this heading, they have a surprising lack of mustache twirling.

That's what they want you to think.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  12:53:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may find this interesting:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/naomi-wolf/the-battle-plan-ii-sarah_b_128393.html

It starts out:"Please understand what you are looking at when you look at Sarah "Evita" Palin. You are looking at the designated muse of the coming American police state."

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Edited by - leoofno on 10/06/2008 12:54:59
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  13:43:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The old one was the GOP was going to give up on this election knowing that Obama can't fix things in four years...

My conspiracy theory is that when Obama becomes President, the NeoCons and lock-step Republican followers will certainly not become the traditional "loyal opposition" willing to meet him halfway. Instead, they will stop at nothing to discredit and sabotage his presidency. They will try to generate and/or encourage any and all scandals around his administration. Their two-fold unspoken aims will be both political and racist. They will try to leverage any economic or international problems toward destroying the Democratic Party and they'll silently encourage the racist notion that a black man cannot function as President.

On a slightly more positive note, I think Obama's staff would be wise to this and expose any plots and prosecute those who initiate them. I would hope they would tend to defuse national and international turmoil that arises which the NeoCons would attempt to co-opt. I also think that a lot of Americans today would be savvy to rightwing garbage and would rally around Obama.
Go to Top of Page

bngbuck
SFN Addict

USA
2437 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  16:38:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send bngbuck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Astropin.....

McCain will last a few months before he suddenly dies of a heart attack or stroke...(no accident). Thereby putting their pretty little puppet in power (totally under their control of course).
The Politically Correct Liberal answer to your "conspiracy" theory would be - "that is utter extremist nonsense. We may disagree with conservative views, but to suggest that extreme conservatives would actually commit murder to achieve their ends, is indeed conspiracy rant. It is unthinkable!"

I believe there is a good deal of credibility in your premise. A fairly small group of neocons have manipulated a moronic puppet (George W. Bush) for a number of years to literally commit mass murder on a scale of thousands of Americans, and vastly more Iraqis! And all for oil access and control, and the establishment of a neoconservative dictatorship in the US, shredding our constitution, and attempting to sieze permanent control of the country.

That the likes of Cheney and the utterly corrupt, malevolent power/money cadre of political fanatics for whom he is point man, would use murder to further their ends is not only highly credible, it has already happened on a massive scale!

I truly believe you are very close to the truth, here, Astropin!

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.
Barry Goldwater (another senator from Arizona)
"Liberty" to neocons is the liberty to pursue their utterly nefarious goals.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2008 :  18:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by bngbuck

I truly believe you are very close to the truth, here, Astropin!

I just call'em as I see'em.....and then run with it a little.

Atheism:

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  00:57:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with astropin and Chippewa about conspiracies the NeoCons would like to pull off. But considering how badly they did when they had the power of both the Presidency and Congress in their grasps, and how fulsomely they have exposed themselves during that time, and in the present with their unprecedentedly dirty campaigning, I think they will be the next thing to powerless for a few years to come.

And, eventually, what remains of the moderate and "PaleoCon" element in the GOP is going to be fighting them tooth and nail for control of the Republican Party. I've long felt that the fundy/corporate/adventurist coalition that is the NeoCons is inherently unstable. Televangelists, plutocrats and militarists may be able to agree briefly to cooperate, but their interests diverge too much for them to make up a real political party for a long duration.

My guess is that the internal fight for the GOP will begin in earnest after November, and that it will intially further weaken that party. But once the NeoCons are thrown out, the Republican Party will at least have a chance to find its purpose, heal itself, and recover enough to at least be a viable "loyal opposition." But I think it'll take years before the GOP can regain power, and likely never again under the NeoCons. I think America has dodged the bullet of Fascism.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  07:46:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you are too optimistic Halfmoon.
People have very short memory. I believe that; unless Obama does really good (and it would be a very difficult task) the republicans will be back for the next elections (the next presidential at the latest).

As to whereas the neocons or the more traditional republicans will be leading the party... Not sure. But, it is my understanding that neocons kinda control the GOP so fully that the two terms are mostly interchangeable nowadays. And a case could be made for McCain not being so much of a neocon; so his defeat would be that of the 'traditional' GOP; hence strengthening the neocon wing.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.