Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Hate-mongering campaigning wearing thin?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  01:38:33  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's now noted here that some people in the Republican party are starting to get ticked off at McCain's campaign style.

Where I do agree with his new found critics is the frightening nature of his behavior in a time when the economy is spiraling out of control and a major depression is looming. Historically these conditions have unleashed the worst in the American character, a visceral Nativism and the McCain - Palin campaign events are enabling the kind of racist, xenophobic and vicious responses that tend to accompany hysterical fear turned and turn it to unthinking anger. It isn't just scaring me. It's scaring a lot of people, including Republican moderates (the ones that are left).

Some examples:

You can go to the article itself for the examples and references.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  02:39:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At McCain rallies, there have been shouts from the crowds of "traitor!" "kill him!" and racial epithets aimed at Obama. David Gergen strongly chided McCain on CNN, warning that things were out of hand at McCain's and Palin's rallies. Only after Gergen said that that the onus was upon the candidates to firmly defuse the situation, did McCain finally begin to speak out against the extremists who make up the heart of what's left of his shambling zombie of a campaign.

On that issue, Palin hasn't yet taken the hint. I suspect (as I mentioned before) that Palin isn't answerable to McCain, but reports directly to the Dominionist freaks who back her.

And there's still the desperate need for their campaign to sling as much mud as possible. I agree with the piece's author that this is all in line with McCain's MO. McCain's not an ideologue. He's an opportunist, who'll try anything, especially when backed into a corner. (This, I suspect, describes George W. Bush, as well, though Dubya may be a real fundy. History will eventually tell us.)

And none of it is working.

It finally hit me today that I'm no longer feeling any real worry about the election. Instead, I'm getting more and more into enjoying the incredible humor inherent in the downfall of the NeoCons. (The SNL spoofs of Palin are the best! Ney's a friggin' genius.) I hate to sound like a sadist (though I refuse to undergo polygraph testing on that question), but I'm enjoying the dying throes of the McCain-Palin campaign and the end of the Bush years.

Of course, it may turn out that it's only all good fun until the assassinations begin.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 10/12/2008 02:52:27
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  04:16:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's going racist in a large way, now. There is a company, a legitimate toy manufacturer producing Obama monkey dolls, and then there's this:

I guess kindly, old grandfathers can be scumbags just like anybody else. There's a video of him in action in the link.

Heh, while I consider Bush a failed evolutionary experiment, I don't much care for the monkey carictures of him, either. We've got plenty on the fucker and don't need 'em.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  08:54:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I don't usually do this, but I am going to quote myself from another thread because it's pertinent to this thread.

Originally posted by Kil

It seems that McPalin are laying off the terrorist baloney.

Obama thanks McCain for efforts to 'tone down rhetoric
At an event Friday in Minnesota McCain referred to Obama as a "decent person," and praised him as a "family man" after two voters expressed fear over Obama being elected.
Fear is mild compared to what some McPalin voters expressed over the last several days.

Not only wasn't the rhetoric working for McPalin, but it was becoming dangerous. And the McPalin camp were coming under increased criticism even by conservatives in their own party. Also, they were not winning over many independents with that tactic.

I watched some of their campaign rallies this morning on CNN. Palin didn't mention Bill Ayers or terrorist connections. That's not to say her spiel was pretty, but most of the subject was on the economy and who is best to lead.

I think they will still be aggressively negative. Common wisdom is if they run on the economy, they will lose.

Obama is still rising in the polls, and as of today he has broken the 7% lead mark overall.

In reply to mooners observations, you aren't seeing the downfall of the neocons so much as the downfall of the deregulation frenzy of our financial system. Obama's numbers turned with the downturn on wall street much more than on his view of the war. He is the happy recipient of some really bad news for a largely Republican policy over the last 20 years.

The neocons are falling, but that fall began when Donald Rumsfeld was forced out of office and Condi Rice was installed as secretary of state over Dick Cheney's objections. Rice, as it turns out, is much closer in her views with Colen Powel than with Cheney, who marginalized the state department and Powel along with it, in favor of a strong neocon executive branch.

That's not to say that their influence is not still felt. And McCain has supported the neocon view in his support of their reasons for invading Iraq that goes beyond the reasons that we were given. His stated refusal to negotiate with Iran (without preconditions) is another example of where his sympathies lay. His friendship with Lieberman, a full blown neocon in my opinion, is also telling.

In general though, I think the downfall of the neocons has already taken place. In my view, what we are looking at is more of a traditional difference between the two major parties on how best to govern. McCain is holding the short end of a stinky twenty year old stick.

A warning. If the market somehow rebounds between now and election time, it's possible that some of McCain's lost support will return to him. Maybe even enough to pull off a victory. Our real ace in the whole is that his campaign is possibly the worst I have ever seen. Obama can legitimately say McCain is erratic based on how he has campaigned and at this late date, McCain is probably stuck with that perception of him. A problem that he brought on himself...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  11:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

It's going racist in a large way, now. There is a company, a legitimate toy manufacturer producing Obama monkey dolls, and then there's this:

I guess kindly, old grandfathers can be scumbags just like anybody else. There's a video of him in action in the link.

Heh, while I consider Bush a failed evolutionary experiment, I don't much care for the monkey carictures of him, either. We've got plenty on the fucker and don't need 'em.

Funny how it hides the doll when he notices the camera. Fucking hypocrite!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  11:56:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner
I hate to sound like a sadist (though I refuse to undergo polygraph testing on that question), but I'm enjoying the dying throes of the McCain-Palin campaign and the end of the Bush years.
Yeah, but everyone knows an animal is most dangerous once it's been mortally wounded. Only when the thing is truly dead, its muscles having ceased their quivering, its jaw slack, the beast lying in a pool of its own blood and excrement, only then will I exhale a sigh of relief. Right now they're still capable of doing far too much damage for me to relax.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  11:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More Sarah Palin fun, from salon.com

Meet Sarah Palin's radical right-wing pals

Extremists Mark Chryson and Steve Stoll helped launch Palin's political career in Alaska, and in return had influence over policy. “Her door was open,” says Chryson — and still is.

I think Palin has become pretty much irrelevant, or better yet, a drag on the McPalin campaign. But still, this article gives you an idea of the depths of her hypocrisy.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  12:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the rest of the country becomes as weary of Sarah Palin as I have, McCain's campaign is toast. They'll vote Obama just to get rid of her. Hell, McCain himself might vote Obama for the same, excellent reason.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  12:51:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am persuaded that, at this point, McCain hates Palin with a passion.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  13:39:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Originally posted by filthy

Funny how it hides the doll when he notices the camera. Fucking hypocrite!
And here's the rest of the story.

Curious George faced a tough crowd Saturday.

A supporter of Republican vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin outraged Democratic protesters at a rally by flaunting a toy they called racist.

The man held a stuffed monkey he named "Little Hussein." The toy was a Curious George doll and wore an Obama "Change" sign like a turban.

"Little Hussein wanted to see truth and good Americans," the man said and laughed while holding the toy aloft so the Obama supporters across the street could see it.
One wonders, which is the real monkey?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  23:56:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been noted that Obama kind of expected this (along with everyone else in the damned continent).

Perhaps we should take his advise:

I like the picture he posted from here.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 10/12/2008 23:57:10
Go to Top of Page

pleco
SFN Addict

USA
2998 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  04:56:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit pleco's Homepage Send pleco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the video of that man taunting the protesters with the monkey doll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkFG1ebuKZU

by Filthy
The neo-con methane machine will soon be running at full fart.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  07:55:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by the_ignored

It's been noted that Obama kind of expected this (along with everyone else in the damned continent).

He sure did, although it's funny to see how, almost literally, were his predictions matched.
Maybe the candidates were at a loss and took notes for ideas during this speech?

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.