It's gonna be the end of the freakin' world,
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  07:35:11  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...if Obama wins!

Dobson is getting more difficult to believe as each day passes. Give him another month and he'll preaching to the Colorado Zoo. Oh, wait.... Heh.
As the election nears its final days, the fevered imaginations at Focus on the Family Action—the political action arm of Dr. James Dobson's multi-million dollar media ministry—are working overtime to demonize Sen. Barack Obama. Posted on October 22nd, a “Letter from 2012 in Obama's America” plumbs the depths of the Religious Right's worst collective nightmare.

“Reporting” back after four years of an Obama presidency which has allowed “Liberals [to] … dominate the government in a way they haven't in decades,” this portrait of liberal bogeymen gone Lord of the Flies is, for conservative Christian evangelicals, a bleak one:
The "Letter from 2012" is a great read composed by a clearly delusional mind and written upon quicky-disposable toilet tissue in case the guys with the nets show up.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  08:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. The author didn't do anything like replace "homosexual" with "black" or "mixed-race" (as appropriate) to see how well his/her predictions might pan out.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  08:29:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Wow. The author didn't do anything like replace "homosexual" with "black" or "mixed-race" (as appropriate) to see how well his/her predictions might pan out.
If our luck holds, we should get the chance to find out what bullshit they are.

I say "luck" because Rove, Cheney, DeLay and the entire Bush family are still not incarcerated, and therefore I can't make any predictions. Under normal circumstances, such as those might be, I would.

But really, I'm smelling fear sweat here. Dobson has bet the figurative roll on McCain in a high-takeout, table stakes game, and he's gonna get called holding deuces.

It'll be fun keeping track.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  08:40:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quite a few of these things seem actually fairly good to me. Getting rid of the discriminations toward homosexuals...

I wonder, where the conservatives that flippant over Clinton? Or is it something (I leave you decide what) particular to Obama?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  12:36:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Proof” that these events could happen is contained in the 15-page letter from an anonymous author known only as: “A Christian from 2012.”
While FFA is savvy enough to call it a “'What if?' exercise,” the organization does warn that the “Letter” is not merely “empty speculation,” ...
That's it. I'm voting for Reagan.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  13:56:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Quite a few of these things seem actually fairly good to me. Getting rid of the discriminations toward homosexuals...

I wonder, where the conservatives that flippant over Clinton? Or is it something (I leave you decide what) particular to Obama?
But from Dobson's perspective, it's all pretty horrible.

These are the same ones; they actually hate anything that doesn't coincide with their apocalyptic and degenerate world view be it the queer folk being happy, or a black guy's achievements. They are the spoor clusters of a moral decay that promises to carry the country back to heresy trials and witch-burnings and whore-stonings, among other atrocities. Anyone who doesn't think, act or look like themselves is damned by definition.

Indeed, there is little to chose from between them and radicle Islam. Just two rotting peas in a fly-blown pod.

They claim to follow the teachings of Jesus but in truth they seldom care about much beyond the nastier parts of the OT. Except for Revelation of course; they do s them some of that twisted fantasy composed by a raving lunatic who'd fricasseed his brains by spending too much time in the sun without a hat.

All this should come as no surprise -- they've been telling us about it for centuries. The problem is that we haven't been listening and now they have managed to gain back some of the authority they lost beginning with the Renaissance. They will continue; they must because they have nowhere else to go. If Obama is elected, it will merely be a small set-back, causing them to redouble their efforts.

Fuck 'em. But as beneath contempt that they might be, we must keep an eye on them; they will never stop trying to subvert the country, and indeed, the world. The price of freedom is constant vigilance.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/25/2008 14:06:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.