He’s gonna do research!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2008 :  04:26:50  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And that ain't all; he's managed to get a paper peer reviewed: "conservation of information," whatever that might mean. Unfortunately, he doesn't mention in which journal his screed might be published, unless it's this evolutionary informatics outfit.

Oh, be still my fluttering heart! Our Willy is defiantly going upwardly mobile.
Change at UD

William Dembski

As of tomorrow (Friday, November 14th), Barry Arrington assumes the leadership of UD. After more than three years at the helm, I'm finally stepping down. I expect I'll still be posting here occasionally, but my energies will go more and more into technical ID research. Robert Marks and I continue to crank away at papers and have finally cracked the peer-review barrier in the information sciences with a paper on conservation of information (stay tuned at www.EvoInfo.org for a formal announcement).

Barry has organized UD as a non-profit corporation and plans to take UD in some new directions that will increase its readership, sense of community, and impact. Take it away Barry!
Comment # 21 is of particular interest (not one of mine, alas).

A visit to the evolutionary informatics website (linked in the quote) will glean you this:
Evolutionary informatics merges theories of evolution and information, thereby wedding the natural, engineering, and mathematical sciences. Evolutionary informatics studies how evolving systems incorporate, transform, and export information. The Evolutionary Informatics Laboratory explores the conceptual foundations, mathematical development, and empirical application of evolutionary informatics. The principal theme of the lab's research is teasing apart the respective roles of internally generated and externally applied information in the performance of evolutionary systems.
And there are some really neat pictures:

I confess that is a little out of context, but, what Rube Goldburg fan could resist it?

I'm not really sure what Evoinfo is all about and will let better minds than mine decipher it. However, I think I smell convoluted apologetics because in spite of holding no less than 2 (count 'em: TWO!) PhDs, our Bill D. couldn't science his way out of a biological barf-bag. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall his doctorates are in Engineering & Theology -- build it and pray it doesn't fall down. )

Anyhow, I congratulate Dembski and wish him well in his latest endeavor. I shall follow his career with interest, if not with a straight face.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  09:58:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it seems that a certain someone just can't get along with the new UD management, so DaveScot quit.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2008 :  12:41:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, wow! Albatrossity nailed it:
It's like the end of an error, or sump'n.
That there is punalicious.

Edited to add that now might be a good time to stroll down memory lane.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2008 :  22:40:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As they say, plus ca change, plus ca mem chose.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  03:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Oh, wow! Albatrossity nailed it:
It's like the end of an error, or sump'n.
That there is punalicious.

Edited to add that now might be a good time to stroll down memory lane.
Them was the good ol' days. Now, it seems that UD is awash in O'Leary's drivel and, as much as I love the ridiculous, I simply can't read her. There are limits to what the mind will take before shutting down in disgust, y'know.

I haven't visited in a while, but I've been wondering if Bill & Dave's departure aren't some sort of harbinger of things to come. The astounding lack of success ID has enjoyed over the last, few years might have sent them off on new projects. Perhaps they'll go into the catering business.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.