Nisbet and deniers in love-fest
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  13:14:13  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, Matthew "Frame It!" Nisbet is giving science deniers (and AGW deniers in particular) a big ol' hug, promising to never call them "deniers" again because it hurts their widdle feelings.

Actually, he claims that calling them "deniers" does nothing more than make the deniers screech that they're not Nazis, and so distracts away from the debate. The problem, of course, is that the deniers aren't interested in any debate. Distraction is all that they've got.

Mark Hoofnagle has a long write-up on this, which is a very good read.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  14:51:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good article. I think Nisbet has lost it. He dug in so far defending his position that he has now taken it to the absurd...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  15:35:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I respect Nisbet position, I agree that it is going to far.

It IS denialism. They reject overwhelming evidences and fact just 'cause they don't like them. From a methodological point of view, they are no more justified than Holocaust deniers or flat-earther.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  22:02:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I especially liked this succinct thinking, from the OP's Denialism Blog link:
If a doctor confronts an alcoholic about their denial of their alcoholism, they're not suggesting they hate Jewish people too. When a psychiatrist tells their patient they're in denial, that's hardly comparing them to the Nazis. When we say a public figure has issued a denial of some scandal, we're not suggesting they advocate a new holocaust. And finally, when we suggest any number of other people are denying reality, whether it be holocaust denial, evolution denial, HIV/AIDS denial, etc., the point is clear that we are referring to their methods more than their motives which are necessarily varied.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 11/25/2008 22:02:59
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  15:29:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Orac has weighed in, and it's a quite impressive piece, too.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2008 :  18:21:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nisbet responds, completely ignoring the fact that name-calling works pretty well for the denialists. If "denier" is name-calling, then so are the labels that the denialists apply to scientists and others standing opposed to the denialists, including (but not limited to) "brainwashed" and "sheep." If Nisbet wants to simply claim the "moral high ground" in the "debate," that's what he should be arguing, instead implying that people who find the word "denier" acceptable are doing something that the deniers are not.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2008 :  10:23:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoofnagle seems to have given up.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.