Winter Solstice message
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  04:10:18  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not think I'll bother writing one this year, as my current feelings about the season are adequately summed up here:

Friday, November 28, 2008
You Make Me Sick
NYT:

Suddenly, witnesses and the police said, the [Wal-Mart] doors shattered, and the shrieking mob surged through in a blind rush for holiday bargains. One worker, Jdimytai Damour, 34, was thrown back onto the black linoleum tiles and trampled in the stampede that streamed over and around him. Others who had stood alongside Mr. Damour trying to hold the doors were also hurled back and run over, witnesses said.

Some workers who saw what was happening fought their way through the surge to get to Mr. Damour, but he had been fatally injured, the police said. Emergency workers tried to revive Mr. Damour, a temporary worker hired for the holiday season, at the scene, but he was pronounced dead an hour later at Franklin Hospital Medical Center in Valley Stream.
And who is "You"?

“I've heard other people call this an accident, but it is not,” he said. “Certainly it was a foreseeable act.”

Wal-Mart. The most arrogant, hyper-aggressive, destructive retailer in America. The bane of American downtowns, mom-and-pop stores, and any human being trying to earn a decent wage.

“When they were saying they had to leave, that an employee got killed, people were yelling, ‘I've been on line since yesterday morning,' ” Ms. Cribbs told The Associated Press. “They kept shopping.”

The Wal-Mart shoppers at the Green Acres Mall, who lined up likes pigs at the trough, to stuff themselves on holiday "bargains" as they purged their own souls. Hope that $9 "Incredible Hulk" dvd was worth it.

Ugly shopping scenes, a few involving injuries, have become commonplace during the bargain-hunting ritual known as Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, when America's anxious retailers say they finally turn a profit for the year.

The media, who, year in and year out, assist Wal-Mart and other equally putrid retailers to gin up such "ugly shopping scenes" by breathlessly trumpeting "black Friday" as though it were "reporting" on some sort of heartwarming holiday tradition rather than yet another in a long line of soulless consumerist spectacles.

To the family and friends of Mr. Damour,

I'm sorry for your loss. You need a lawyer and a good one. I'm not competent to take your case, but if I was, I would take it pro-bono.

The season itself doesn't suck, only the imbecilic greed-heads who celebrate it and their corporate enablers that pollute the atmosphere and media. Fuck this perverted Christmas and all that it now stands for!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 11/29/2008 04:15:28

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  11:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ventured into a Wal-Mart one time, on a reconnaissance, just to see what it was like. Saw a lot of cheap plastic "goods" made in China and a pimply faced teen-aged "manager" ordering a down-trodden 60+ year old employee to mop something up. Even the Chinese who sell junk to them/us respect their elders. Didn't buy anything and never been back.

There are still a few Mom & Pop stores in our town I'll buy from though the local small hardware store is now closing because Mom & Pop are retiring and traveling - which is good for them and they deserve the best but I might have to go to Home Depot Inc next time I need a wall plug or a 2x4. But never Wal-Mart.

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  16:47:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, are Kroeger/Target better than Wall-Mart?
They are smaller so they have an easier PR work but do they really treat their employees better?

Not to mention than Wall-Mart is only taking advantage of the lenient social laws of the US. So, no point in bitching at Wall-Mart, it would be more efficient to convince the voters instead...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.