Damnation!: Berlioz's "Faust" from the Met
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  00:30:05  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I admit it. For a last-minute idea for going out on the town tonight, going alone to a movie theater to watch the New York Metropolitan Opera's "La Damnation de Faust" wasn't the smartest idea -- or at least not for this atheist. This was a "live encore" presentation, narrowcast to the Century 25 Theater here in Union City. (I suspect that the operative word is "encore," not "live.") My ticket cost $20, and that was with a senior discount. There was only one presentation, and it was attended by six people, including myself.

The opera is in French, with English subtitles.

True, I'm a opera buff, if a bit of a newbie as I've only seen a few. (I'm also probably the the world's biggest heterosexual fan of musical comedies.)

There were certainly highlights. Méphistophélès (John Relyea) stole the show, though where he can pawn it, I have no idea. (I want his wonderful red leather outfit for riding my red scooter, though he can keep the silly hat!) The music at times is wonderful, at other time, sort of boring. Oddly, my favorite music from the opera was a bugle fanfare which I've heard played many times.

The opera's scenery was all virtual, projected somehow on the background. It worked very well in many ways, except it was, overall too dim visually. (This may or may not have been the fault of the dim-bulb digital projection at the local theater here.) At one point, Méphistophélès was talking to Doctor Faust, and as he approached him, tree limbs above and behind him withered and died. Nice effect.

The whole opera is quite sketchy about the plot. It starts with Faust (Marcello Giordani) as a shabby old man, a scholar depressed unto contemplating suicide by his solitary life, compared to the lively conviviality he sees around him. About to drink a poison potion, he apparently hears worshipers singing a hymn and stops himself.

Méphistophélès appears, and begins gifting Faust with his heart's desires. First, Méphistophélès transforms Faust into a "young man," and we thereafter see Faust as a nattily-attired, fat middle-aged fellow. Méphistophélès promises him the love of a young maiden, getting Faust all worked up. After the intermission, Faust clandestinely meets Marguerite (Susan Graham), a plump middle-aged woman. Both seem stunned by the beautify of one another, but nothing much seems to happen in their night-time meeting, aside from relatives and neighbors chasing Faust away.

Apparently, we are told, Faust and Marguerite don't get far with their love. We are told that Faust gives a calming potion to Marguerite, to give to her mother. But Marguerite doses her with it so often, the mother dies. Marguerite is imprisoned, condemned to die.

Faust enlists the help of Méphistophélès to free Marguerite, but has to sign a contract with him first. Apparently, Méphistophélès has written the contract to cleverly avoid any pledge to aid Marguerite: Faust goes straight to Hell, Marguerite is (apparently) executed but lifted to heaven by a choir of angels due to her innocence.

Overall, On the minus side, a rather religious, nonsensical plot. On the plus side, a few fine songs, exciting choreography, and innovative staging.

From this freethinker's viewpoint, I give the Met's "La Damnation de Faust" one star out of five.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/04/2008 00:48:54

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:35:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But the music - Berlioz was a very imaginative and dramatic composer and the instrumental excerpts from "La damnation de Faust" once considered wild and strange have since become quite popular in the concert hall, particularly the Rákóczy March, Menuet des follets and Ballet of the Sylphs. Some of the arias and the choral writing is inspired.

Berlioz was also quite innovative. Stravinsky kept a copy of Berlioz's "Symphonie fantastique" with his favorite scores.
Go to Top of Page

WarfRat

49 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  12:17:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send WarfRat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How was it in comparison to Gounod's "Faust"?

"I believe...that one benefits the workers...so much more by forcing through reforms which alleviate and strengthen their position, than by saying that only a revolution can help them."
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  16:58:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

But the music - Berlioz was a very imaginative and dramatic composer and the instrumental excerpts from "La damnation de Faust" once considered wild and strange have since become quite popular in the concert hall, particularly the Rákóczy March, Menuet des follets and Ballet of the Sylphs. Some of the arias and the choral writing is inspired.

Berlioz was also quite innovative. Stravinsky kept a copy of Berlioz's "Symphonie fantastique" with his favorite scores.
Thanks for that, Chip. Indeed, the music was wonderful. Indeed, pure eyestrain and the difficultly in following the plot may have detracted from my overall experience, and prejudiced me unfairly against the opera.
Originally posted by WarfRat

How was it in comparison to Gounod's "Faust"?
I have not seen or heard the Gounod opera. I hoped that (unlike myself) some real classical and opera aficionados woould fill in the banks here, and correct any misimpressions I had. Thanks for that help.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/04/2008 17:03:37
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  01:18:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw the MET Verdi Macbeth last season in HD at the local movie theater. They did a splendid job translating it visually from the stage, (which worked well for the live audience,) into cinema style with close-ups and long shots where appropriate, for the movie theater crowd.

The music was vintage earlier Verdi; dramatic and a little bit on the barrel organ side, (unlike La Traviata, which is a near perfect opera experience.) The costumes were in 20th Century style with khaki military of the King's court and troops vs. leather jacketed Partisans with ammo belts and mock-Kalashnikovs (which they didn't fire.) There was also a periodic "Greek chorus" of scruffy older ladies in the woods, (the singing Witches,) who knew all and foreshadowed the political events. The intermission feature went backstage and the lighthearted host interviewed some of the singers and crew.

If anyone here has never given a single thought to ever seeing an opera, and you get a chance to go to a nearby theater to see one of these MET broadcasts, try it. You'll get something out of it.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  02:10:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, Chip. I want to make it very clear that in no way do I consider myself knowledgeable of opera. (My review in itself should have made clear that this acknowledgment is in accord with reality.) I'm delighted to learn more about the subject, however, and at least my grumpy review got the subject of opera -- too long neglected in skeptical circles! -- into the spotlight.

One of the things I actually enjoy about opera are the over-the-top plots, and the use of fine music to jerk tears out of the audience. Almost four years ago, my sister took me to a performance of Puccini's Turandot at the San Diego Opera. Not Puccini's best opera, and in fact, he died before another composer completed it. There were only a couple of really memorable songs, and those tacked onto the end by the pinch-hitter composer were miserable. Still, and despite the outrageously unbelievable plot, tears were streaming from my eyes.

Opera plays unfairly upon our emotions, in a way that can leave a skeptic feeling almost guilty for falling for the gimmicks, even though such "guilt" is nonsensical. Let us hope that political demagogues or preachers never learn the full power of using music, sets, lighting, and choreography to manipulate people.

Or maybe they have. Think of Mozart's Requiem, a powerful Catholic propaganda weapon, and recall the Wagnerian staging of Hitler's Munich rallies.

[Edit: Corrected "pedagogues" with "demagogues." D'oh!]

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/05/2008 22:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2008 :  09:06:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or maybe they have. Think of Mozart's Requiem, a powerful Catholic propaganda weapon, and recall the Wagnerian staging of Hitler's Munich rallies.

I was going to mention that.
Consider the number of political congress with music, singing, carefully orchestrated choreography... They do play on it, which help explaining the feeling of elevation and the devotion felt by so many attendees.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  14:55:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Thanks again, Chip...Or maybe they have. Think of Mozart's Requiem, a powerful Catholic propaganda weapon, and recall the Wagnerian staging of Hitler's Munich rallies.

Yes, but us skeptics know that Mozart was a Mason (and wrote some lovely music for them,) as well as the church, and composing requiems was more or less a standard commission for classical composers. Some requiems were for state occasions.

Its certainly OK for critical thinkers to be uplifted and/or inspired by older art forms and musical achievements without "believing" in the dogma that commissioned them. Same goes for Wagner, who's music was later used by a totalitarian state and Shostakovich, who wrote some music dedicated to Stalin's agricultural plans. If the music is good, it transcends. On the other hand, I personally feel really in tune with the Earth and Nature when listening to Stravinsky's "Rite of Spring" (or "Le Sacre du printemps".)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  19:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good points, Chip. Indeed I do not blame Mozart for being a purposeful propagandist for Catholicism. With him, however, whatever music he put his hand to was simply awesome. I attended a performance of his Requiem in an Aberdeen, WA, Protestant church about five years ago. Little Aberdeen had managed to assemble a wonderful orchestra, chorus, and soloists. I sat alone, sobbing in the pews for the whole performance.

Just when does an artist clearly step over the line from art to propaganda? I'm not sure a line can be definitively drawn, but I can name one artist who for certain took a few steps over that line: Leni Riefenstahl. Riefenstahl was a brilliant filmmaker, and an ardent Nazi. Her "Triumph of the Will" recorded Hitler and his Nazi's 1934 Munich rally. Leni must have been worth several Wehrmacht divisions to Hitler.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/06/2008 20:00:45
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  22:34:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I have never saw more than a few moments of any of Frau Riefenstahl's movies; I am inclined to believe that the artist Riefensthal was mediocre at best anyway and that her prominence was achieved through the backing of the nazis rather than merit of her own...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  23:57:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How many of today's generation were first introduced to Wagner by Apocalypse Now (NSFW)? I was.

Some English lyrics for those who'd like to sing along:
Out of the sunrise
Flashing their white thighs
Picking up dead guys
Into the Sun!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  00:07:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

While I have never saw more than a few moments of any of Frau Riefenstahl's movies; I am inclined to believe that the artist Riefensthal was mediocre at best anyway and that her prominence was achieved through the backing of the nazis rather than merit of her own...

Unfortunately, life isn't always fair or "black & white" - though her films are, (black & white that is.) There are sequences in Riefenstahl's "Olympia", an epic about the Berlin Olympics, studied to this day in film schools, that are simply stunning visually. She was a superb editor and film maker, and yes, a nazi too. Appreciating her films doesn't make one a nazi sympathizer. You can read some diverse opinions at IMDB (International Movie Data Base) if interested: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0030522/

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  00:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

How many of today's generation were first introduced to Wagner by Apocalypse Now (NSFW)? I was.

Some English lyrics for those who'd like to sing along:
Out of the sunrise
Flashing their white thighs
Picking up dead guys
Into the Sun!

It was Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd who introduced me to Wagner, I believe.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  00:45:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It was Bugs Bunny and Elmer Fudd who introduced me to Wagner, I believe.
Oh, I do believe that's correct for me, as well. I'd forgotten about "What's Opera, Doc?"

Spear and magic helmet? Meh.

Oh Brunhilde, you're so wovewy.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  13:23:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

...What's Opera, Doc?...

The Crocker Art Museum in Sacramento recently sponsored an animation cell exhibit that also included screenings of selected Warner Brothers cartoons, "What's Opera Doc?" among them. I think that exhibit is traveling to different cities. It's great!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.15 seconds.