What would you say?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2008 :  23:29:47  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After listening to this Skepticality episode, I'd like to hear about what our members would say.

If you were asked to give a talk to a skeptic group, what would be the subject of your speech?

Right now, if it were me, I think it'd be a talk on the ethics of belief. Evidentialism as a moral code.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  00:57:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Limiting the scope of inquiry. Trying to turn skepticism into dogma.

...or maybe...

Hidden normative content. Historical constraints on skeptical discourse.

...or maybe...

Reclaiming our Humanity. How dogma turns humans into cogs in a machine.

...or maybe...

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  06:39:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd give mine on the Bible, with the thrust of "there's certainly a lot of stuff in the Bible's that's true; just not stuff that should compel a person to believe in the truth of Yahweh" or something.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  20:20:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eventually want to revive that thread, Dave, on the responsibility to believe in the evidence, but it doesn't seem like it will happen in the near future (and thus, also reviving the one HH and I were talking about with the God Delusion being called the cause of suicide).

One topic that I've been thinking a lot about is calls for evidence in internet forums, and whether or not they are appropriate. If I ever came to any solid conclusions about this, that's what I would speak on.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  21:11:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I'd give mine on the Bible, with the thrust of "there's certainly a lot of stuff in the Bible's that's true; just not stuff that should compel a person to believe in the truth of Yahweh" or something.

Yep, the Bible is a great subject.
The influence of Babylonian mythology, the progressive switch from polytheism to monotheism as paralleled by the Assyrian religion...

Depending of the level of the skeptics, an introduction to the theory of evolution and a debunking of the most common cretintionist/IDiots arguments...

While we are on the subject of religion, debunking of the myth of the US being funded on Christian principles.

What else?

A funny conspiracy theory is always good or a bit of pseudo-history (Mitchell-hedges is good fun).

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.