Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  02:32:16  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What paranormal thing is the weridest unexplainable phenomenon?

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  02:58:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, it's been a while -- welcome back!

Y'know, that's a tougher question than it appears at first blush. I'm gonna have to think about it a spell, although to me, belief in paranormal phenomena which, by it's very nature, has no empirical support, seems a bit weird.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  05:37:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry your question is unanswerable to me, "What is the weirdest unexplained phenomenon" I can answer as I dont think anything has a paranormal answer. If your looking for one of the standard 'paranormal' type things I'd say that none of them are unexplained, some of them we just havent figured out the trick yet.

As for the rephrased question, I'd say the apparent repulsive force generated by empty space, Dark Energy.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  06:10:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, we've got something of a poorly put question, here, but it has excellent skeptical potential. With On Fire's generous permission, I'd like to rephrase it:

What is the weirdest paranormal belief that you have encountered?

And, oh my goodness, there are some doozies out there!

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 12/17/2008 06:12:20
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  06:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Ok, we've got something of a poorly put question, here, but it has excellent skeptical potential. With On Fire's generous permission, I'd like to rephrase it:

What is the weirdest paranormal belief that you have encountered?

And, oh my goodness, there are some doozies out there!

Another acceptable rephrasing might be:
What is the weirdest unexplained phenomenon you have observed/encountered.

Many fun answers on this question too.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  09:44:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that's not my question though. People believe weird things, we all know this. But what what is the weirdest phenominon we as a species have come across that we cannot currently explain scientifically

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  09:56:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Religion.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  10:45:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Religion. It's all about belief.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  10:53:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

that's not my question though. People believe weird things, we all know this. But what what is the weirdest phenominon we as a species have come across that we cannot currently explain scientifically

Michael Jackson

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  11:19:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark energy.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  11:31:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a much better question, i'm sticking with Dark Energy though, or maybe Quantum Entanglement

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  11:57:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that the 'paranormal' part has been removed, it's an excellent question!

As a matter of fact, I don't know -- there are so many!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  14:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I too think I'll have to go with Dark Energy and/or Quantum Entanglemen.

Michael Shermer wrote a book called "Why People Believe Weird Things", which possibly applies to religion too as it also is a weird belief. I haven't read the book yet, but it is on my reading list after Predator - Michael Crichton, The Science of Good and Evil - Michael Shermer, The Art of War - Sun Tzu...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  14:39:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While we are in space we could include Dark Flow.
The stuff that's pulling this matter must be outside the observable universe, researchers conclude.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  15:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quantum Entanglement is a good one. I think we'll get a handle on Dark Energy way before we figure out entanglement.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2008 :  17:54:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, here's one, and right under our noses: Tunguska!
The actual event began when a fireball was seen streaking through the air early on the morning of 30 June. An object was seen streaking through the sky from as far as 250 miles away. Witnesses generally described it as a fireball or a shooting star. Some said it had a fiery tail. Some said it was brighter than the sun.

Whatever it was (and we'll get to that in a minute), it exploded about five miles above the ground. As already related, the shock wave was historic. A black cloud covered the area and ash fell like rain. That evening, the night sky over Europe was filled with eerie light.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.