Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Politics
 Rick Warren to do invocation on January 20th?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  16:45:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Singer-songwriter, Lesbian, and gay rights activist Melissa Etheridge has written about Rick Warren, and I feel her thoughts should be in the mix.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  16:56:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

filthy said:
I don't see the Warren choice as all that big a deal, and certainly not worth the R & H (rhetoric & hyperbole) that's it's inspired. What the hell is an invocation, anyway? It's no more that some religious guy getting up and running his pious mouth for a few minutes, then shutting his yap (hopefully) and sitting back down. What he has to say is meaningless and will be forgotten soon enough, the American short-term memory being what it is.

It gives a fundie bigot a national stage, is the problem. Its like rewarding him for being a total asshat.

Yeah, but the general public'll see the fat fuck once and I've no doubt that his remarks will be carefully vetted. The real news on Warren will be when he un-edits the homophobia back into his website. Meanwhile, he will be vastly over-shadowed by Obama, and very few people pay much attention to invocations, anyway.

He will convince no one who is not already hooked and everyone else will just wish he'd shut the hell up and get on with the show.

Invocations are simply not important, even as entertainment.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  02:21:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I agree, the invocation is not important. Inviting this asshat to give it though is a big deal. It sends a message that Obama is going to welcome this type of individual, when he should be ignoring and marginalizing them.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  04:33:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, I agree, the invocation is not important. Inviting this asshat to give it though is a big deal. It sends a message that Obama is going to welcome this type of individual, when he should be ignoring and marginalizing them.

Or maybe he's just mindfucking them?

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  04:37:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Agree, and I've already made a suggestion as to a better choice. But I'm not at all troubled by Warren; in fact, I'm starting to find him amusing as he whines like a kicked dog and tries to whitewash his on-line ass. Your problem, friend Dude, is that you're Christophobic! Yeah, I'd ever heard of it either.
Rick Warren (right), the evangelical preacher chosen by Barack Obama to deliver the inaugural invocation, has posted a three-part video to his church's website responding to the furor that has erupted over his selection.

In the video, Warren criticizes the media, and, in particular, bloggers, for fueling the controversy. And he says the criticism of him in the wake of his selection has been characterized by "a lot of hate speech" and by "Christophobia -- people who are afraid of any Christian.''

"Our nation is being destroyed by the demonization of differences,'' he says. "The fact that an evangelical pastor believes in keeping the historic definition of marriage -- that's not news. The fact that the gay community would disagree with me -- that's not news either. The real story is that a couple of different American leaders have chosen to model civility for the rest of the nation.''
Heh, what's not to enjoy; can't you almost smell the hypocrisy? I must admit though, that the snivel about the media was uninspired. I've heard better.

And now I'm hearing rumbles that he might withdraw, reminding me just a little of Justice Bork. I doubt it'll happen, but we'll see.

Actually, the way this shit-storm is playing out, it could do some damage to him; enough perhaps that, like Bork, he might indeed be marginalized. But that's America, love it or loath it. Warren will come and he will go, and at the end of the day, he will matter not at all.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  11:42:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warren will come and he will go, and at the end of the day, he will matter not at all.

Except the part where he put time and money into getting discrimination against gay people written into law in California.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  11:49:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"When the going gets tough, the strange get weird!" or something like that. Our Rev. Rick seems to be losing it:
Maddow was joined by Nation columnist Katha Pollitt, who commented, "Rick Warren, I think when you said he confuses himself with Christ, I think you're onto something. The man obviously has a colossal ego. ... This is a big opportunity for him."

Pollitt added, however, that "I thought that the things you noticed would fly by the people that that was aimed at who share those beliefs. They also think that they're the real Christians, so if you don't like Rick Warren, you don't like Christ."

However, not everyone who thinks of themself as a real Christian does approve of Rick Warren. Wiley Drake, the pastor of a Southern Baptist church in Orange County, California has been bashing Warren for agreeing to appear at the inauguration.

In a widely-distributed email, Drake -- who does not believe that Obama is an American citizen -- thundered that "God will punish" Warren for his "recent plan to invoke the presence of almighty God on this evil illegal alien." In a later interview, Drake explained, "It's an abomination before God and God's going to deal with that."
So, let us count our blessings; Obama could have picked Wiley Coyote erm, Drake for the gig. Now that would be truly weird because Wiley'd probably accept and start scrubbing his website of Roadrunner & Warren references right away.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  11:59:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Singer-songwriter, Lesbian, and gay rights activist Melissa Etheridge has written about Rick Warren, and I feel her thoughts should be in the mix.

It just seems to me like the guy was already in history re-writing mode.

I still disagree with the choice. The danger in reaching to the extremists is that they will often take it as an opportunity to pull you toward them...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  12:25:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've gone from being pissed off to not being pissed off. I think Obama could have made a better choice, but whatever...

I think it's funny that Warren got rid of all the homophobic crap from his website. That's a man standing up for his principles, isn't it? In truth, I think this is getting funny.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  13:03:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I've gone from being pissed off to not being pissed off. I think Obama could have made a better choice, but whatever...

I think it's funny that Warren got rid of all the homophobic crap from his website. That's a man standing up for his principles, isn't it? In truth, I think this is getting funny.
Indeed it is; lefties howling, righties fulminating like like sulfer vents, and pundits making even bigger ass' of themselves than usual, and the subject of all the wasted wind slithering around like a green snake in a sugar cane field. What's not to love?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  19:24:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Kil

Indeed it is; lefties howling, righties fulminating like like sulfer vents, and pundits making even bigger ass' of themselves than usual, and the subject of all the wasted wind slithering around like a green snake in a sugar cane field. What's not to love?

Yes, exactly! What a wonderfully uniting choice this has been.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  19:33:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, maybe Obama is pissed off at this fundie asshat. This could be a subtle and unavoidable bit of payback.

Invite the guy to do the invocation knowing that it will piss off the further-right wingnuts if he accepts, and will focus a tremendous amount of media attention on the target of the invitation.

Maybe Rick Warren loses here no matter what he does.

And maybe I'm over thinking it.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  01:22:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Kil

Warren seems to like a perfect lightning-rod for all-of-the-above.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2008 :  01:35:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Of course, maybe Obama is pissed off at this fundie asshat. This could be a subtle and unavoidable bit of payback.

Invite the guy to do the invocation knowing that it will piss off the further-right wingnuts if he accepts, and will focus a tremendous amount of media attention on the target of the invitation.

Maybe Rick Warren loses here no matter what he does.

And maybe I'm over thinking it.

Great minds over-think alike. That flitted through my thoughts as well. Warren, it seems, is not so popular amongst the religiously insane as we might think. The link is for the Rick Warren, False Prophet from Hell website, an interesting place to visit, but not stay for very long.

Obama is certainly intelligent enough to engineer something of this sort and being a politician, probably would if he thought it worth his while.

Anyway......

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  11:55:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Christopher Hitchens on Rick Warren.

(HT: Kevin Beck.)

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.