Woo-hoo! Bay Area cops arresting 'psychics'
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  00:20:41  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Our Bay Area police departments and prosecutors have been busy lately, putting "psychics" out of business. My hat's off to them!

The first accused con woman is accused of ripping off an elderly lady to the tune of $80,000.

Janet Adams
(12-19) 10:16 PST SAN MATEO -- A San Mateo woman who advertised herself as a psychic has been arrested for allegedly bilking an 85-year-old woman of more than $80,000 by falsely claiming that both their husbands would die if the woman didn't hand over money, authorities said today.

Janet Adams, 42, was arrested Thursday night and is being held in lieu of $500,000 bail at San Mateo County Jail.
Another faker swindled yet another woman out of more than $100,000, and this psychic was recently convicted and sent to jail

Lisa Marie Miller
Today a San Francisco "psychic" named Lisa Marie Miller (pictured) was sentenced to two months in jail after convincing a woman she had a "curse" that could only be cured by buying Miller a Corvette.

Obviously, the fake-psychic-turned-investigator from The Mentalist chucked a pretty lucrative job when he went straight. Miller had sucked over $100 thousand out of her victim by the time she was arrested.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/20/2008 00:21:46

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  12:22:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh come on!

[convinced] a woman she had a "curse" that could only be cured by buying Miller a Corvette.

That's skill right there! Could you imagine how that conversation would go? It's not just "The spirits are punishing you for being greedy and you need to donate to charities. Oh, and you can just give them money to me and I'll donate it." That would be far too easy.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  08:20:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

Oh come on!

[convinced] a woman she had a "curse" that could only be cured by buying Miller a Corvette.

That's skill right there! Could you imagine how that conversation would go? It's not just "The spirits are punishing you for being greedy and you need to donate to charities. Oh, and you can just give them money to me and I'll donate it." That would be far too easy.

I agree. This woman does not belong in jail; she belongs in the government as head of foreign affairs.
Just imagine what she could get Kim Jong Ill to agree to?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  12:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Janet can't be happy with that picture. I thought she was a lot closer to death than 42. Dorian Gray comes to mind.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  16:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by moakley

Janet can't be happy with that picture. I thought she was a lot closer to death than 42. Dorian Gray comes to mind.
It does seem that with all the money she was getting, she could have at least afforded a nice makeup base.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/23/2008 16:50:41
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  17:11:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

It does seem that with all the money she was getting, she could have at least afforded a nice makeup base.

Heh, or a face transplant. They've only done a couple and would probably do it for free just to get the experience.

Ok, that was mean and I shouldn't have said it, but damn, that woman needs needs work!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2008 :  19:32:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by HalfMooner

Heh, or a face transplant. They've only done a couple and would probably do it for free just to get the experience.

Ok, that was mean and I shouldn't have said it, but damn, that woman needs needs work!

Feh. Reminds me of some of the ladies I used to see on Rush Street here in Chicago.

(Translation for those of you not familiar with Chicago: Rush Street was a den of prostitution by some pretty rough looking crack addicted individuals.)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  04:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She looked pretty bad in the original, but I enlarged a small image using a Photoshop plug-in called Genuine Fractals. Usually, it is very good for blowing up tiny images into convincing large ones, but it has a tendency to extrapolate detail that's not really there. Still, I expect that when the cops busted her, they did not wait around for her to put on her makeup.

Heres a photo of her, blown up without using Genuine Fractals:

And with Genuine Fractals:

Edited by - HalfMooner on 12/24/2008 04:31:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.