Politics
 Russian prof predicts USA breakup
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2008 :  21:46:53  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From one of those woo sites, so how much credibility is up for grabs; as well as who he says will benefit from this.

They link to here.

"There's a 55-45% chance right now that disintegration will occur," he says. "One could rejoice in that process," he adds, poker-faced. "But if we're talking reasonably, it's not the best scenario -- for Russia." Though Russia would become more powerful on the global stage, he says, its economy would suffer because it currently depends heavily on the dollar and on trade with the U.S.

Mr. Panarin posits, in brief, that mass immigration, economic decline, and moral degradation will trigger a civil war next fall and the collapse of the dollar. Around the end of June 2010, or early July, he says, the U.S. will break into six pieces -- with Alaska reverting to Russian control.

In addition to increasing coverage in state media, which are tightly controlled by the Kremlin, Mr. Panarin's ideas are now being widely discussed among local experts. He presented his theory at a recent roundtable discussion at the Foreign Ministry. The country's top international relations school has hosted him as a keynote speaker. During an appearance on the state TV channel Rossiya, the station cut between his comments and TV footage of lines at soup kitchens and crowds of homeless people in the U.S. The professor has also been featured on the Kremlin's English-language propaganda channel, Russia Today.

Mr. Panarin's apocalyptic vision "reflects a very pronounced degree of anti-Americanism in Russia today," says Vladimir Pozner, a prominent TV journalist in Russia. "It's much stronger than it was in the Soviet Union."

Yikes. Look at that last paragraph.

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.

Edited by - the_ignored on 12/29/2008 21:49:59

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  00:30:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see this breakup happening in the near future, though of course the far future is unfathomable even in principle.

I think Panarin is wishfully projecting much of Russia's situation onto the USA. The Russian Federation is the remnant core of the larger Soviet empire. Russia is fighting determined separatist armies within its own borders, and is almost surrounded with resentful former Soviet satellites, some of them filled with Muslim jihadists. Then, too, Russia is pretty much a creature of Vladimir Putin, with democracy suppressed to the point that no Loyal Opposition exists. With only two neighbors, both of them friendly, no armed rebellions, and an (again-functioning) democracy, the USA has nothing like troubles on such an order of magnitude.

Russia is riding high on its oil wealth, but that wealth is mainly of value to it as an export commodity. Oil prices are way down in the present recession, so the same recession that is affecting the USA means Russia will lose much of its oil boom as well.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

DtheB

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  02:00:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send DtheB a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why would Alaska go to Russia? Why not Canada? We certainly like them better than the Russians.

The misuse of a tool does not negate its existence.
Go to Top of Page

Hawks
SFN Regular

Canada
1383 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2008 :  09:27:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hawks's Homepage Send Hawks a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woo, indeed. But if the US became fragmented, it might not be all bad. You just might loose a candidate for the presidential post, after all...

METHINKS IT IS LIKE A WEASEL
It's a small, off-duty czechoslovakian traffic warden!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.