EU Prez
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  08:49:56  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article5430362.ece

The EU has a president?

Ok. Couldn't they do better than this idiot?

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  10:48:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Presidency of the Council of the European Union.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  11:30:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The presidency of the EU rotates between the head of states of its member's countries.

Last one was the French president, Nicolas Sarkozy, a personal nemesis of mine and a gnomoid with Naopoleon complex and, according to rumours, a covert Scientologist and a wife-beater.
The new one does not seems much smarter but he probably still is an improvement...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  12:11:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My point was, really, just wondering how a European country (or the EU) could get a climate change denier in high office.

The US I get, because we are (collectively) pretty fucking retarded. Just thought that Europeans were a bit more reality based.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  13:17:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah; the stupid is like a can of magical Nutella... not matter how universally you spread it, the layer is always just as thick.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  13:32:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Nah; the stupid is like a can of magical Nutella... not matter how universally you spread it, the layer is always just as thick.
It's pretty sad when one like myself has to seek stupidity in other lands in order to retain pride in my own, but that's the way Dubya has left things.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2009 :  13:34:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

My point was, really, just wondering how a European country (or the EU) could get a climate change denier in high office.

The US I get, because we are (collectively) pretty fucking retarded. Just thought that Europeans were a bit more reality based.

Nah. In the final analysis, we are all exactly the same, with the same imbecilic bent toward trying to ignore that which might be inconvenient for us, and the embracing of that which might, with no encouraging evidence at all of it's existence, be to our future enrichment.

I sometimes wonder if sapience is not some sort of divine punishment inflicted by a depraved Bedlamite of a god.

Geologic history tells us that climate change has happened often, and there is no reason to think that it will not continue to do so. There is no reason to think that it is not happening even as we speak, assisted by our own activities. But we will collectivly drown in our own rancid sweat before we will acknowledge that, and that's what all forms of fundamentalism are all about. Klaus is just another science ignoring idiot little different from our home-grown, ultra-religious idiots. Fortunately, he will be gone at the end of his tenure. Also fortunately, all Europeans don't have to march to the beat of his slack-headed drum, and won't. I don't see it as all that big of a deal, really.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.