Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2009 :  18:58:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm from the Cleveland area (Parma, actually), but unfortunately I no longer live there. Still, it's nice to see skeptics from my home town.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

scarlet_35

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  20:41:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send scarlet_35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have friends that live in Parma. Nice to see another from Ohio.
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  10:31:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

There is an untested hypothesis that "Crazy Cat Lady" syndrome is a result of Toxoplasma infection.

Interesting Theory.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:46:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid Buckeyes, are you bums finished screwing up Toledo yet? The War is still in effect! Damn thieves, you force us to give you Toledo and all we got was the Upper Penninsula for our troubles.

Oh and Rush still isnt in the Rock Hall, fuck Cleveland. Kanly isnt dead!

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

The Rat
SFN Regular

Canada
1370 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  06:46:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit The Rat's Homepage Send The Rat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To get this thread back on track... I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.

Bailey's second law; There is no relationship between the three virtues of intelligence, education, and wisdom.

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded perversity! Have you ever considered a career in the Church? - The Bishop of Bath and Wells, Blackadder II

Baculum's page: http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=3947338590
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2009 :  11:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah guys are disgusting, not sure what women see in us, particularly Ohioans.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

scarlet_35

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  19:57:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send scarlet_35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOW BigPappa you sound like you either live in Ohio or you did. I got to say the weather really does suck around these parts. The rock hall is sort of a let down :( why have it here if they do everything in New York?

Women like men because we need something to amuse us
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  21:52:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhhh... "New York's alright if you like Saxophones" - Fear

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2009 :  23:02:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got the results of my karyotype test back. Yup, I'm female, too.

Online, more males than females at skeptic/atheist sites.

IRL (in real life), I've been pleasantly surprised to run into almost as many women as men, in a Skeptics Meetup, an Atheists/Agnostics Meetup, and another atheists group I've joined in the past 6-12 months. (More busy w/ those groups lately, hence stopping in here less often.)

I joined a UU church ~2 yrs ago, more women than men there (though it's not way out of balance), also people of all sorts of "persuasions". Lots of LGBT. Lots of rationalists - scientists, atheists, humanists. Lots of older people, and also families w/ young kids. Also a smattering of New Age/spiritual folks, who bring a certain something to the group that it would lack with only the rationalists there.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  06:43:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah Scarlet, I'm from Michigan. You must not be familiar with the Toledo War, I was just joking trying to get a border conflict started. Take that! (I just egged your state!)

Go to Top of Page

scarlet_35

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  20:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send scarlet_35 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Nah Scarlet, I'm from Michigan. You must not be familiar with the Toledo War, I was just joking trying to get a border conflict started. Take that! (I just egged your state!)

Damn I should have guessed Michigan. Yes I'm familiar with the war, I just don't part take in it. We also have a war with Pittsburgh. Come to think of it, we also feud with East siders and West siders, Northern Ohioians and Southern Ohioians. We must be a bitter state
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2009 :  20:17:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by scarlet_35

Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Damn I should have guessed Michigan. Yes I'm familiar with the war, I just don't part take in it. We also have a war with Pittsburgh. Come to think of it, we also feud with East siders and West siders, Northern Ohioians and Southern Ohioians. We must be a bitter state
True, we Ohioans have many rivalries. But the Toldeo War was an actual war:
The Toledo War (1835–1836), also known as the Ohio-Michigan War, was the almost entirely bloodless boundary dispute between the U.S. state of Ohio and the adjoining territory of Michigan.

The dispute originated from varying interpretations of conflicting state and federal legislation, passed between 1787 and 1805, which in turn resulted largely from a poor understanding of the location of certain features of the Great Lakes. This caused the governments of Ohio and Michigan to both claim sovereignty over a 468 square mile (1,210 km˛) region along the border, now known as the Toledo Strip.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.