"The Canadian," a bizarre voice of the Woo Left
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  20:49:44  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a liberal/progressive, of course I'm offended whenever WorldNewsDaily and its ilk spew their right-wing lies and paranoia. But I'm somehow even more offended and discomforted by the anti-rational, anti-science, and just plain weird element on the left. True, these people, aside from some of the more violent of the "anti-globalization" or animal rights types, are a little less likely to commit violence than their rightist conterparts. But they seem to me to be a horrible waste of human flesh and bone -- though not of brains.

It's like running into the sweetest, most caring person in the world, only to later discover that they go around at night tossing poisoned meat over fences to kill dogs they think are plotting against them.

"The Canadian" Website bills itself as "Canada's new socially progressive and cross-cultural newspaper." Reading its articles, I know not whether to laugh or to cry, so I find myself alternating. This tends to disturb my neighbors.

Some of the latest "news" from The Canadian:
Global Warming: Two sides of mass-deception

by Dr. John Singh

Have you noticed on the both sides of the Global Warming debate, there are two groups of very wealthy elites? We can perhaps readily appreciate the "no" side's motivation. This group is tied to large Petroleum and other interests. But the "yes, there is Global Warming side", that suggest that our planet Earth is on an unabated trend to heating up, is also tied to wealthy interests. Follow the money, and the trail seems to lead to an apparent interlocking clique with common ties to a reputed "Globalist Hegemony".

What gives? The apparent answer to this conundrum suggested by scientists whose voices have been repressed, is that both sides are seeking to deceive humanity.

. . .

Manipulative Extraterrestrials and Mind Control

Special to The Canadian

Controlling the mind of the enemy is the ultimate weapon in any warfare. Apparently, a collection of researchers seek to interpret mind control techniques used by the UFOs and the extraterrestrials, not necessarily for the “good“ of humanity.

Variations of these techniques were regularly used in ancient wars, in legends and ancient religious mythologies, that were apparent in contact with various Manipulative Extraterrestrial groups.

. . .

Ethical Extraterrestrials: Malthusian claims Earth suffers from overpopulation is a Eugenic deception

by Alex Collier [excerpted and adapted]

We are being told that there are too many people on the planet. According to the Andromedans [alleged Ethical Extraterrestrials]. that if we didn't waste out natural resources, the planet could hold a population of 11 billion. What we are actually being told by the propaganda machine is that there are too many people.

To support this agenda elites with the support of regressive alien interests have sought a Eugenic War against humanity which allegedly involve the spread of diseases like HIV-AIDS. [This was documented by Dr. Alan Cantwell. Please see Alex Jones Show video below this article].

. . .

Portugal: Extraterrestrials and garbage

Edited by Albert S. Rosales

The following apparent alien sighting took place in Covilha, Cova da Beira, Portugal at about 3:00 am on 26 March 2007.

A municipal waste department worker was out on his rounds collecting garbage in an industrial area and was approaching a container when he noticed a strange dark human like figure with a strange head walking near the container. The figure seemed to be about 1.50 m in height and thin.
And then there is the article that PZ Myers quoted, commented upon, and linked to (PZ's posting brought The Canadian to my awa

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/17/2009 21:14:04

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  21:28:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

True, these people, aside from some of the more violent of the "anti-globalization" or animal rights types, are a little less likely to commit violence than their rightist conterparts.
A lot of the anti-vaccine and alt-med crowd are liberal nutjobs. I'm not sure that killing a child through inaction isn't violence.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  21:43:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

True, these people, aside from some of the more violent of the "anti-globalization" or animal rights types, are a little less likely to commit violence than their rightist conterparts.
A lot of the anti-vaccine and alt-med crowd are liberal nutjobs. I'm not sure that killing a child through inaction isn't violence.
Good point. Such "violence" of inaction may cause the loss of many more lives than taken by terrorists.

But, like a lefty reflection of the Bushies and their faith-based, abstinence-only "anti-AIDS" campaign in Africa, they can easily blind themselves to the killing they are doing. After all, they aren't gripping a rifle, setting off explosives, or throwing a Molotov cocktail, just killing people in huge job lots by getting them not to use proven medical science.

My own mother is suffering from Alzheimer's. Without the advanced medications she is taking for it, she might be dead already. Not that the meds have cured her. Nor have they reversed the disease's progress. But they have seemed to have slowed its advance. Bringing in a space aliens "theory" may kill a few more old people before their time.

The anti-vax people, many of whom consider themselves on the "left," are much worse, endangering their own children, and keeping diseases from being eradicated. I'm sure plenty of blood is on their hands.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/17/2009 21:52:34
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/17/2009 :  22:33:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The anti-vax people, many of whom consider themselves on the "left," are much worse, endangering their own children, and keeping diseases from being eradicated. I'm sure plenty of blood is on their hands.
Especially since they're not just endangering their own kids, but everyone else's kids as well. No vaccine is 100% effective. My kid might (unknown to us) be susceptible to measles, just because his vaccination might not have worked. Parents who refuse measles vaccinations for their kids willfully increase my own child's risk for death, even though I did what I could to prevent it, and I find that completely unacceptable. If I ever meet one of these pricks face-to-face, I won't be very polite at all.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  10:48:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's an uncomfortable truth that much of the woo comes from the left. And it's not just the vaccine crap. 9/11 conspiracy advocates, the anti position on genetically modified food products, hell, even the Illuminati seeking world domination, complete with shape shifting alien lizards controlling things, comes from a woo fringe on the left. In the name of peace, or health with its alternative medicines or devices to promote wellness, or greenness, or spiritual awakenings, and on and on, what I have found is most of the woos are lefties. I think the whole thing can be traced back to the sixties when everything establishment was considered suspect.

The right has not cornered the market on magical thinking and anti science, even though, by way of mixing religion and politics, they have been the most aggressive at forcing their beliefs on us.

It seems to me that in both cases, the best we can do is to keep pushing back and try to educate.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  10:54:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that the whole Illuminati/New World Order crowd was also on the right, inspired by One-World-Government "prophecies" in Revelation. Though, I guess that some conspiracies and woo are big enough to encompass people from all parts of the political spectrum...
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  11:38:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Cuneiformist

I thought that the whole Illuminati/New World Order crowd was also on the right, inspired by One-World-Government "prophecies" in Revelation. Though, I guess that some conspiracies and woo are big enough to encompass people from all parts of the political spectrum...
Oh yeah, your probably right. But I have run into those people at New Age Expos. I suspect that given to a kind of thinking that allows for such things as wild conspiracies theories to be looked at uncritically, due to a mistrust of anything mainstream, it almost doesn't matter where the craziness begins. A one world government run by alien masters? Once you get that far out its not really a left or right issue anymore.

David Icke

Barkun writes that Icke has "clearly sought to cultivate the extreme right," citing a London Evening Standard story from 1995, which alleged that "uncanny parallels [were] emerging" between Icke's work and that of senior figures in the American armed militia movement.[4] Barkun argues that the relationship between Icke, the militias, and the Christian Patriots is complex and tense because of the New Age baggage Icke brings with him. On the one hand, Icke believes Christian patriots to be the only Americans who understand the truth about the New World Order, but on the other, he reportedly told a Christian Patriot group: "I don't know which I dislike more, the world controlled by the Brotherhood, or the one you want to replace it with.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  14:54:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the woos on the right and the woos on the left end up being so far out that they sort of wrap around and meet on the opposite side sanity.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  15:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The anti-GM crowd have convinced starving African nations to refuse food donations from countries that grow some GM crops. They warn them that the grain might be contaminated with GM DNA, which could spread to their crops, and not allow them to export to Europe where they've poisoned the mind of the public against GM.

Golden Rice, specifically developed to prevent blindness in impoverished kids, is not available anywhere it would do any good, because of the anti-GM crowd. They are directly responsible for kids losing their eyesight.

And let's not forget food irradiation, which was killed in this country by a gynecologist. (It's still available on a very limited basis, but not nearly as widespread as it should be.) It's cheap, safe, and fast. Expose food to a brief shot of radiation and it kills nearly all of the bacteria in it. Fruits and vegetables last much longer before spoiling. A carton of milk can be left on the shelf, unrefrigerated, for six months. (You have to refrigerate it as soon as you open it.) This could have lead to cheaper, healthier food, but was stopped, ironically, by health-food nuts. (Many years ago I saw a garish window display in a health food store that featured skeletons crawling out of a grave because of irradiated food. "Great!" I thought. "It brings you back from the dead!")

As this thread grows I think it will become evident that there is just as much woo on the left as there is on the right.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  20:32:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

(Many years ago I saw a garish window display in a health food store that featured skeletons crawling out of a grave because of irradiated food. "Great!" I thought. "It brings you back from the dead!")
That display must really help them sell their food! They need to learn a bit about evidence-based advertising.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/18/2009 21:01:05
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  21:45:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's only their political antipathy that keep left woos from meeting right woos and canceling each other out explosively. Political containment is the only option that maintains the dark matter equilibrium.

Besides, we all know that good greys and bad greys represent an artificial dichotomy dictated by big money. We, of the Procyon Co-Prosperity Sphere, have been trying to tell you this for centuries, but you keep developing innoculations that counter our attempts to communicate with the mitochondrial engrams that comprise, and are held hostage by, your "I" delusion constructs.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2009 :  21:57:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

It's only their political antipathy that keep left woos from meeting right woos and canceling each other out explosively. Political containment is the only option that maintains the dark matter equilibrium.

Besides, we all know that good greys and bad greys represent an artificial dichotomy dictated by big money. We, of the Procyon Co-Prosperity Sphere, have been trying to tell you this for centuries, but you keep developing innoculations that counter our attempts to communicate with the mitochondrial engrams that comprise, and are held hostage by, your "I" delusion constructs.

Nice!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.