Didn't last long, did it?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  02:41:33  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It looks like Iraq has a true Bush Democracy. Recall the shoe monument that an artist with the assistance of war orphans set up in Tikrit? Well, it just got un-setup by government order after only a day.

A pity; it gave such a ring of truth to the immortal words of Richard Perle:
In September 2003, Iraq war architect Richard Perle famously stated that the Iraqis “have been liberated” and that “a year from now, I'll be very surprised if there is not some grand square in Baghdad that is named after President Bush.” When Perle was asked about that comment in a recent interview with Foreign Policy magazine, he wouldn't back down, claiming that “absolutely” the Iraqis have been liberated. He even suggested there's still a chance his dream of a square named after Bush in Baghdad can be realized
The shoe is close enough and the only monument Bush deserves. The Iraqis probably miss it already. I do.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  02:50:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was a fine monument while it lasted, and the only kind Bush is ever likely to get in Iraq. We ought to find out if the the Shoe Monument still exists somewhere, and have it imported and emplaced in the USA. If it's been destroyed, perhaps the artist will make a new one for us.

I don't know if it's just a legend, but I long ago heard that there isn't a single statue of Cortez in Mexico. Likewise, and for similar reasons, there will be no statue for Bush in Iraq.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 01/31/2009 02:54:36
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2009 :  22:29:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I live near the Saratoga Battlefield, where Benedict Arnold helped defeat the British in a battle that convinced the French to sign on with us. It was a pivotal battle in the American Revolution.

Arnold was heroic during that fight, where he was shot in the leg (for the second time) but went on to become America's most famous tractor. There is a monument to his leg at the battlefield. http://www.pbs.org/ktca/liberty/popup_arnoldsleg.html

Perhaps George, confused as ever, will consider this to be in the same category.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2009 :  03:16:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Hittman

Arnold was heroic during that fight, where he was shot in the leg (for the second time) but went on to become America's most famous tractor.
My uncle in Oklahoma had a several of those. He swore his Arnolds pulled combines better than John Deeres or International Harvesters.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/01/2009 03:17:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds.