New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

perrodetokio
Skeptic Friend

275 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  06:48:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send perrodetokio a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Rambo I was enough for me, sorry.

Hahaha! Yeah! I´m not a fan of Rambo myself. But I do remember when they played it on cable TV, Rambo was helping the "FreedomFighters" against the EVIIIIIIIIL soviets.

"Yes I have a belief in a creator/God but do not know that he exists." Bill Scott

"They are still mosquitoes! They did not turn into whales or lizards or anything else. They are still mosquitoes!..." Bill Scott

"We should have millions of missing links or transition fossils showing a fish turning into a philosopher..." Bill Scott
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  09:15:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rambo I was actually reasonably good. And it certainly was not the right-wing propaganda that the next two movies were to become.

But, yes, the invasion of Afghanistan was, I think, a pretty reasonable thing to do.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Hittman
Skeptic Friend

134 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:44:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Hittman's Homepage Send Hittman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Little known fact, which I made up a long time ago, RAMBO is an acronym.

It stands for Rarely Anything Marginally Believable Occurring.

When a vampire Jehovah's Witness knocks on your door, don't invite him in. Blood Witness: http://bloodwitness.com

Get Smartenized® with the Quick Hitts blog: http://www.davehitt.com/blog2/index.phpBlog
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:55:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Once again, rewatch the firt one.
The story is, a PTSD riddled veteran stumble in a small rednecky town.
He has long hair and the local fascistic authority do not like it.
But his skills are an elite soldier are still here.
Mayhem ensue.

It's fairly reasonable as action movies' premise go.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  17:11:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked the first Rambo, too. It began with reasonable premises, then proceeded with action that stretched, but usually didn't quite break, the audience's suspension of disbelief.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  09:50:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gorgo said:
This from a guy who didn't know the U.N. was a treaty, and now that he knows, is still against trying to get the U.S. to conform to international law.

Wrong again, as usual.

The UN charter just doesn't say what you think it says, and anyone who points it out to you gets shit like that above from you.

If you ever wake from your delusion, perhaps a reasonable conversation could occur, but I doubt you ever will.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2009 :  10:36:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

It's fairly reasonable as action movies' premise go.

And there you go. Most movies have some element of things that are somewhat unbelievable or they wouldn't be interesting.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

WarfRat

49 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  10:19:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send WarfRat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

Originally posted by Simon

Al Qaida was chiefly based in Afghanistan and the regime was supporting it...

What was the reason for the war?

Sorry for rehashing this but.. if the arguement for war was that the Taliban was sheltering Al Qaeda. Wouldn't the Brits invade or at least bomb South Boston, MA for harboring the IRA?

"I believe...that one benefits the workers...so much more by forcing through reforms which alleviate and strengthen their position, than by saying that only a revolution can help them."
Go to Top of Page

Grayven

19 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  21:52:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grayven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What terrible things would happen to us if we just left these places and went home?
Go to Top of Page

Mycroft
Skeptic Friend

USA
427 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  00:36:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mycroft a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by WarfRat

Sorry for rehashing this but.. if the arguement for war was that the Taliban was sheltering Al Qaeda. Wouldn't the Brits invade or at least bomb South Boston, MA for harboring the IRA?

That's an old Noam Chomsky joke, he's always gotten a laugh with it.

To address it seriously, no, you don't bomb people when you have other less violent options available. The Taliban, when asked, declined to turn over Osama and his Al Qaeda friends. They were given the option and encouraged to accept in the strongest of terms. Even so, some might argue that less violent options were still not given enough chance.

The Brits certainly had every moral right to insist that the US do everything in its power to stop Bostonians from funding the IRA (I'm pretty sure nobody actually harbored anyone. If they had, I'm sure the FBI were very interested in making the appropriate arrests). I might even agree they had the moral right to drop bombs if their concerns were not addressed by Washington. It's very likely, however that they believe it's not a good strategic choice, given what it could cost them.

Chomsky has a lot of pithy quotes that at first seem brilliant, but lose their lustre when you think about them and see their flaws.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  02:20:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the story I heard.

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 02/19/2009 02:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2009 :  05:10:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Chomsky has a lot of pithy quotes that at first seem brilliant, but lose their lustre when you think about them and see their flaws.

Why don't you address something he said, then?

But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Grayven

19 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:07:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grayven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone explain to me why I care at all if people in Afghanistan a members of the Westboro Baptist Churh? That country is far away, so why do I care how badly the people in it screw it up/
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:31:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because you feel for your fellow Homo sapiens?

Because no man will be truly free before every men are?

Because we all are brothers in FSM?

Because part of the screw up is due to the situation the US helped created and, hence, a tiny but real part of is your very indirect personal responsibility?

Because if things go to hell, it might produce the next generation of Ben Laden?

Because Afghanistan is one of the world top producer of opium and as such a vital part in the world Rock & Roll industry?

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Grayven

19 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2009 :  11:36:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Grayven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't worry, they'll still sell us opium.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.