Hovind site: natural cure for perforated appendix
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  17:25:38  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hat tip to PZ Myers for this sign of hope that evolution is in action among the Creationists.

One John Hinton has written a screed at imprisoned tax cheat (and noted fucktard) Kent Hovind's Creation Science Evangelism site.

Hinton, after an attempt to make a case for Creo reasons against vestigial organs being, well, vestigial, then spirals into woo medicine. I just hope none of the Creos force this naturopathic "treatment" upon their minor children or abused spouses:
An appendix problem is much more serious if there has been a perforation. If there has been an infection caused by a perforated appendix, antibiotic-like herbs should be taken in very heavy doses. Purple coneflower (or echinacea, echinacea purpurea, pallida and angustifolia) and garlic (Allium sativum) are recommended. A light massage of the abdomen would help at this point, but it should only be done with great care, if there is inflammation.
Note: Don't do this! If you do, the person suffering from a perforated appendix will ALMOST CERTAINLY DIE! (But if it's your own appendix, and you're an adult Creo, hey, feel free.)

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/11/2009 18:14:23

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This pud-puller is just another "naturalistic" or "holistic" how ever you might define it, "healer"/quack that will, and probably has, gotten some folks killed.

"I would not offend the bought and sold fascists who regulate the health industry in America by offering medical advice, but I will relate alternatives to appendectomies that have worked for others without actually advising anyone to follow these procedures. Richard Schulze, the successful naturopathic doctor so hated by the FDA and AMA for being successful, has outlined the way that he has dealt with appendicitis, which I will outline here. Appendix problems are caused by poor diet and severe constipation. The first thing that he recommends is to immediately stop eating and get an enema. A high enema, or high colonic, is very much preferable. A series of regular rectal enemas may have to suffice, if the proper equipment is not available. The enema will relieve the pressure that has built up inside of the appendix. It might even be a good idea to start with a rectal enema and work your way up to a high enema.

Fasting is recommended to be done for a few days, during which time only juice or water should be drunk and some herbal laxatives. An appendix problem is much more serious if there has been a perforation. If there has been an infection caused by a perforated appendix, antibiotic-like herbs should be taken in very heavy doses. Purple coneflower (or echinacea, echinacea purpurea, pallida and angustifolia) and garlic (Allium sativum) are recommended. A light massage of the abdomen would help at this point, but it should only be done with great care, if there is inflammation. 2

A final procedure is to apply castor oil packs 24 hours per day over the appendix. Only fresh caster oil should be used. Rancid castor oil can be more detrimental than beneficial.

Sandra Ellis describes treating her daughter for appendicitis in which the appendix actually did appear to have ruptured. 3 She followed Jethro Kloss's advice 4 and used a lobelia poultice, which was supplemented by Christopher's formula that added ginger, slippery elm and mullein. She also used comfrey tea and herbal enemas, olive oil and lobelia poultices, chamomile tea, catnip tea, alternating cold and heat packs, and reflexology. Her daughter recovered without an appendectomy, and without any infection. She provides the following formula for a poultice."

Amazing. It's even more amazing if he actually believes this swill.

But alas, the faithful are just that and so it has ever been. They will follow an outragious charlatan sooner than someone who knows whereof he speaks due to education and experience. It is something of a curosity to me that they haven't long ago gone extinct. But then I suppose they have a fairly high reproduction rate, hating contraceptives & all.

Faith: n.
The act of intentionally running stoplights, secure in the unwarrented belief that all the cops are always glued to Dunkin' Donuts stools.
~~ Da Filth

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  18:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Hat tip to PZ Myers for this sign of hope that evolution is in action among the Creationists.

One John Hinton has written a screed at imprisoned tax cheat (and noted fucktard) Kent Hovind's Creation Science Evangelism site.

Hinton, after an attempt to make a case for Creo reasons against vestigial organs being, well, vestigial, then spirals into woo medicine. I just hope none of the Creos force this naturopathic "treatment" upon their minor children or abused spouses:
An appendix problem is much more serious if there has been a perforation. If there has been an infection caused by a perforated appendix, antibiotic-like herbs should be taken in very heavy doses. Purple coneflower (or echinacea, echinacea purpurea, pallida and angustifolia) and garlic (Allium sativum) are recommended. A light massage of the abdomen would help at this point, but it should only be done with great care, if there is inflammation.
Note: Don't do this! If you do, the person suffering from a perforated appendix will ALMOST CERTAINLY DIE! (But if it's your own appendix, and you're an adult Creo, hey, feel free.)

Of course you should get competent medical care. Don't skip the garlic though. I recommend roasting some and having it on toasted french bread with a little olive oil.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  06:19:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All I know is if someone tried to massage my stomache when I had appendecitis?sp I would have strangled them in self-defense, it felt like six rusty knifes were sticking out of my gut.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  08:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idiotic screed seems to have been taken down. I can't link to it.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  09:06:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

The idiotic screed seems to have been taken down. I can't link to it.
Hmmm... I still get there.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  20:40:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, now the "DrDino" link in the OP is dead for me, too. Maybe even the Hovind Crime Family finally figured out that they were being used by a dangerous quack for purposes unrelated to their Creo nonsense.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 02/12/2009 20:43:25
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  00:37:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, no mention of prayer? I thought that was supposed to be the cure, no potions needed.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.