Founder of US Muslim network charged in beheading
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  12:31:14  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aasiya Hassan and Muzzammil Hassan
The Buffalo News reports:
Friends expressed shock on Friday that the founder of a Muslim TV channel — which he launched in order to counter violent images of Muslims — has been arrested in his wife's brutal slaying.

Detectives have charged Muzzammil Hassan, 44, with second-degree murder after his wife was found beheaded Thursday at the offices of the cable channel, Bridges TV, in the Village of Orchard Park.

The victim was identified as Aasiya Z. Hassan, 37.

Police said they continued to search for the murder weapon on Friday and refused to discuss further details of the killing.

“I am totally stunned,” said Samira Khatib, a friend of the couple, who lives in Hamburg. “They were really more than married — they encouraged each other in everything.”

It was Aasiya Hassan who encouraged her businessman husband to launch the cable channel, she said. “She was such a lovely person.”

Muzzammil Hassan launched the channel in 2004 in hopes of dispelling stereotypes of Muslims as terrorists, and balancing widespread images of Muslim extremism with moderate viewpoints.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  15:15:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“There is no place for domestic violence in our religion — none,” Qazi said. “Islam would 100 percent condemn it.”

As a rule of thumb, no doubt.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  15:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

“There is no place for domestic violence in our religion — none,” Qazi said. “Islam would 100 percent condemn it.”

As a rule of thumb, no doubt.
Yeah, sure, 100%.

A woman working in my Pacific Bell office in Oakland was regularly beaten by her Muslim husband. Her closest coworkers, noticing her bruises, sought help from management -- which did nothing. Shortly afterward, she was beaten to death by her husband.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  15:47:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Muslim beats his wife to death therefore Islam condones domestic violence?

Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  16:11:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by On fire for Christ

I dunno; that's really hard to say.

Does the Qu'ran have anything to do with Islam, I wonder?

- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  16:12:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

No, the other way around.

Go to Top of Page

On fire for Christ
SFN Regular

Norway
1273 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  16:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send On fire for Christ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Then your argument is the wrong way around. You used your anecdote to try and show that the words of Qazi are not true.
If you wanted to show that religion caused violence then you should have quoted scripture, or religious speech, what you did was to cite an example of a crime and assign blame to one attribute of the criminal's psyche.

Somehow this just leads me to think that you don't dislike Islam as much as you dislike Muslims.

I don't think I really need to raise the argument of 'What if an atheist killed his wife'.

Do you assume all murders are caused by the religious views of the murderer, or only when the murderer is a Muslim?

To me this all seems a bit like "Lets all see how many news stories we can find where there is a crime perpetrated by a Muslim. Damn Muslims!"

Edited by - On fire for Christ on 02/14/2009 16:30:52
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  17:13:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Then your argument is the wrong way around. You used your anecdote to try and show that the words of Qazi are not true.
If you wanted to show that religion caused violence then you should have quoted scripture, or religious speech, what you did was to cite an example of a crime and assign blame to one attribute of the criminal's psyche.
My anecdote illustrates why I care about the issue, and isn't intended as proof that Islam causes domestic violence.
Somehow this just leads me to think that you don't dislike Islam as much as you dislike Muslims.
That's quite a leap. I don't like Christian sects that promote violence toward women, but that doesn't make me a hater of Christians in general. And I can and do separate the followers of a religion I dislike from my dislike of that religion itself, even though I feel those followers have the primary responsibility for breaking free from their conditioning.
I don't think I really need to raise the argument of 'What if an atheist killed his wife'.
No, that's true, you don't -- the number of religious versus nonreligious convicted felons speaks volumes by itself.
Do you assume all murders are caused by the religious views of the murderer, or only when the murderer is a Muslim?
No, but religions, particularly patriarchal, fundamentalist Abrahamic traditions certainly seem to encouage spousal abuse.
To me this all seems a bit like "Lets all see how many news stories we can find where there is a crime perpetrated by a Muslim. Damn Muslims!"
No, I don't see that, and I didn't state anything of the sort.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2009 :  18:39:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sad, sad story.
The irony meter just went off scale with the weirdness of this story.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.