Ray Comfort has a new pot-boiler out
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  13:03:39  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truly a great work that will change the country's anti-religion indoctrination forever.

You Can Lead an Atheist to Evidence, But You Can't Make Him Think: Answers to Questions from Angry Skeptics

The Amazon.com reviews are here. I haven't read it, and probably won't, but I felt free to write a review of it, anyway. Why should the deluded have all he fun? They feel perfectly free to comment upon that which they show an appaling ignorance of all the time.

What's good for the goose is good for whoever who serves it up with giblet gravy, eh?

My review isn't up yet and might never be, but I gave ol' Ray 5 stars.

Found it at Pharyngula.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  20:26:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah; the whole thing emerged a few months ago.

He started by asking atheists for their perspective. Probably the book was already written already.
Then, he came by with this amazingly insulting title and felt free to ask for a preface from atheist (anyone would do).

The man is pond scum.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2009 :  21:00:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

The man is pond scum.
And unevolved pod scum, at that.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  03:51:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, pond scum is a valuable, natural resource providing shelter and nourishment for all who dwell within it; a sort of pollywog's paradise, so to speak.

Ray, alas, provides nothing for anything/one beyond the amusement I've had from screeving a phony review on Amazon.

I knew he had another book out, but don't pay enough attention to him to keep up with his scribbling. Until yesterday, I didn't even know the title, and still wouldn't if PZ hadn't posted it.

I read a couple of brief exerpts from the book and have come to the conclusion (again) that Ray's even worse than I'd thought. And so, like all malinformed, even dishonest, pontificaters, he leaves himself wide open for sarcasm & ridicule without even realizing it. Hell, he might even consider my review complimentary. When/if Amazon puts it up, I'll cut & paste it here.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2009 :  10:01:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is not malinformed, he is just dishonest.

Now I was going to expend on that in my trademark, way too fucking long way of posting. But the post kinda morphed into what could constitute an Amazon review. So I will post it there and just quote it here...

When he asked for help on his websites, many atheists came forward against their better judgements (even mentioning so in several instance, that they did not particularly trust Comfort but were going to give him the benefit of the doubt) and calmly explained their position.

They explained clearly how there are no official atheist dogmas and how every atheists might be different and then went on to explain their own position. Mostly weak atheism was the most prevalent view: it is impossible to disprove the existence of God, but that there are no evidence to suggest that such an entity exist and that, therefore, the logical rational conclusion was to keep the default position, that God does not exist (similarly, you can not disprove that there is a Leprechaun in my basement but, until I bring proofs that such a creature exist, you will assume it does not ).

Comfort was offered these explanations but instead chose to ignore them and misrepresent atheism. Probably the actual position of modern atheists were too strong for him to attack and he had to use the fallacy of the straw-man argument.

By doing so Comfort not only prove once again his dishonesty, he also demonstrate how poor a 'thinker' and debater he is.

Therefore, I would only recommend this book if you are a Christian apologetic in dire need of feeling justified to the point were you'd rather do so than being right.
If you are actually interested in what atheists think, I would rather recommend reading books like 'The atheist way' or 'I sold my soul on Ebay'.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  14:52:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd forgotten about this thread! My excuse is that I consider Ray so inconsequential that he sort of fades away from me. Anyhow, the Amazon review wherein I imply he's a wanker is up:

A masterful work by one of our more devout, spiritual inspirationalists. It utterly destroys the false and foolish notions of the hateful Darwin and his drooling herd of of apologists for immorality. Indeed, so steeped are they in the worship of Sodom, Gomorrah, and Babylon that they'll accept atheist lies in favor of Scripture, but this book should show many of them the Light and the Path. Or, alas, perhaps the Sword.

The simple truth of the banana's form to fit the hand is a marvelous example of God's far-sited works. So is the human penis.

doov

Whaddaya think; too subtle?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  16:02:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Took me a while to find it, but it was worth it, Fil. Laughed my ass off. (For some reason, I hadn't noticed your quote above.) You are one nasty Poe, you are.

Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  16:37:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good one, Filthy. But, looks like the big banana in the sky swatted your review into eternal damnation. (edited, that is...the 'p' word, I guess).

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  16:51:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Took me a while to find it, but it was worth it, Fil. Laughed my ass off. (For some reason, I hadn't noticed your quote above.) You are one nasty Poe, you are.

Thankee, thankee! We strive and we toil; often we fail, but sometimes, when it's just right, we enjoy a miniscule success. Again, I thankee!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  16:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Randy

Good one, Filthy. But, looks like the big banana in the sky swatted your review into eternal damnation. (edited, that is...the 'p' word, I guess).
Did they now! Then I have hit a nerve, perhaps even drawn blood! My work there is finished.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2009 :  21:34:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Originally posted by Randy

Did they now! Then I have hit a nerve, perhaps even drawn blood! My work there is finished.

I hope Ray Comfort wasn't holding Kirk Cameron's banana when he read that. If he was, Cameron is probably in the emergency room now.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.