Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  16:23:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80
I don't know whether that is really what's going on. I have the idea that Limbaugh, Palin and "Joe the Plumber" form the abyss and the Republican head honchos are eagerly pushing the party in it.
The Republican Party leaders were convinced by Karl Rove that wooing the religious right was key to their success. And indeed, the more they pandered to (or appeared to) religious conservatives on such issues as abortion, stem cell research, gay rights, and abstinence only education, the more they were rewarded with the votes needed to put them into power and carry out their real agenda, which was to line their pockets by greasing the wheels of government for Big Business.

But, as they are finding, it's hard now to put the genie back into the bottle. The credulous rubes they were using for votes suddenly now want a real voice in politics and a real say in the future direction of the Republican party. A few Republican leaders have tried to reestablish their dominance by speaking out against agitators like Limbaugh. You see how quickly they had to back down. McCain did the same when he called the religious right "agents of intolerance." 8 years later he was forced to select a young earth creationist, evangelical moron as his running mate. The Repubs have lost control of their own party. Courting faith-heads used to be a means to an end. Now they are actually beholden to these nuts. They're in too deep to double-back on their promises now, but I'm sure more than a few of them are wondering how best to get out of this jam. The pitbull has turned on its master. Karl Rove has ruined the Republican party, and for that I am grateful.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 03/04/2009 16:24:14
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:23:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nailed it, H.H.!

Tangentially apropos from ROFL Razzi:

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:30:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's wonderful Half!

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  17:41:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by tomk80

Originally posted by HalfMooner
Yes, if by "lead" you mean, "try to shove it into an abyss."

I don't know whether that is really what's going on. I have the idea that Limbaugh, Palin and "Joe the Plumber" form the abyss and the Republican head honchos are eagerly pushing the party in it.

Fixed quotation - Ricky
Well, I'll consider either the "sucking" or "blowing" hypothesis.

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  18:28:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Tangentially apropos from ROFL Razzi
Yeah, the old joke goes thusly:
Q: What's the difference between Rush Limbaugh and the Hindenburg?

A: One is a flaming Nazi gasbag, and the other was a zeppelin.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

hholdings

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  21:14:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit hholdings's Homepage Send hholdings a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check related article at Amazines.com: The Creation of a New Major Political Party
October 30, 2008
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  21:23:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by hholdings

Check related article at Amazines.com: The Creation of a New Major Political Party
October 30, 2008
Um, you wrote that article, and it contains precisely zero references to support its assertions, so how is it supposed to answer the question being asked?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  22:27:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but check out this site, which references this article.

Oh, wait.

Never mind.

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2009 :  01:36:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by hholdings

October 30, 2008
I chuckled at the use of the evasive, weaselly passive sense in your article: "The projection at the federal level is that about ..." and "...it is projected that the RNC will become a minor party." Nothing like, "Based upon national polls, the American Politics Tomorrow think tank projects that..."

Just a suggestion, but what I try to do in my own political guessing games is occasionally throw in the old disclaimer, "I think that..." -- even when I'm personally certain about my wild-ass, sometimes hope-fueled guess. Also, using passive voice is so... passive. It loses all dynamism.

And it really looks as though the title for this thread (which was not weasel-worded) falls somewhere into the spectrum between fiction and wishful thinking.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/05/2009 02:09:23
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.