Excellent! Texas can have him
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:18:00  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would seem than an even shittier actor than Ronald "Dutch" Reagan has presidential ambitions, albeit on a smaller scale. Chuck "Douche" Norris wants to start the revolution as soon as possible and end up as the prez of the Looney Star State. Have at it, sez I.
That was fast. It was just one year ago that right-wing martial arts guru Chuck Norris was a sought-after "get" for the GOP presidential candidates like Mike Huckabee, who paraded the star of "Walker, Texas Ranger" around the nation after the anti-abortion actor endorsed him in the primaries.

But now it's 2009, Barack Obama is in the White House, and the inventor of chun kuk do is preaching the martial art of insurrection against the U.S. government. He also wants to run for -- and no, I'm not making this up -- "the president of Texas.":

Edited for format.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 03/12/2009 03:38:43

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  13:43:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He is advocating secession.
Once again, I am not sure it would be such a terrible thing for the rest of the US.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  15:11:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed Brayton blogged about this yesterday. Of course, a few morons showed up just to remind us that they exist. A poster by the name of Robert Snyder wrote:
I'm with Chuck Norris. I'm a Texan, and I would certainly support him. Texas does not need the US... the US NEEDS Texas. We've got an abundance of oil, agriculture, livestock, natural resources, etc. Without Texas, the US government would loose about 1/3 of it's revenue. The United States Government has been over-stepping their boundries too much since BO took office. Everything the founding fathers warned against is happening before our eyes, and you idiots who support our awful president are too blind, or complacent, to realize it. We are loosing one freedom after another with the passing of each week, and you don't seem to care. Well, we care in Texas, and we don't need the US, or it's "beloved" president who is screwing you in a few different ways everyday.

...try laughing at Chuck Norris when your in a FEMA camp.
It's one of those insanely misinformed rants that almost makes you want to cry with despair. But another poster by the name of Julian provided one of the most thorough, complete PWNings I've ever had the fortune of witnessing on the internet. I wish there was some sort of award I could nominate him for:
Snyder: You're wrong about this entirely, and its sad that there are Texans out there still trying to prove their secessionist ancestors right. We needed the Union then, and we need it now. I myself am descended from West Texans, you know, those people who spent the Civil War getting killed by Comanches because you damn fools had to go pick a fight with the very same army that was keeping your hair on your head for you, and let me tell you about the "Natural riches" of Texas. They're gone. Our oil's all pumped except what's been stewarded to pay for the state Universities, our cattle industry supplanted by Montana and the Dakotas, our agriculture, though wide spread, doesn't come near producing the output of Florida or California, let alone the Midwest corn belt. These industries certainly play a role in our state economy, but they no longer dominate it. Look at state revenues; Dallas, Houston, El Paso and Austin are the big bread winners. We get our money from out ports of entry, our stock markets, our scientists and our lawyers, in other words, we have a commercial economy. And primarily, our commerce is with the other states.

Lets say Texas seceded and the Union let us, just for the sake of argument. Every good leaving Texas would have to have a tariff paid on it. Every truck would have to be inspected. Money transfers would be subject to international charges as would calls out of state. Isolated from the greater U.S. power grid, which allows electricity to be traded back and forth across the continent with ease, brown outs would become more common. Food costs would go up, not just on out of state produce, but on everything considering that this state can't produce all the manure and fertilizer it needs all by itself. Oh, and education would become more expensive because there'd be no more federal student aid and grants out there to pay for it These are just a few of the effects we'd see; I'd have to spend the rest of the night to list them all.

Secession is a stupid, foolish, empty threat to make; its not going to happen and its just plain dumb anyway. It was dumb in the 1860's and its dumb today. A bunch of stupid cotton planters in East Texas sent the best of a generation of our state's youths to be killed and maimed fighting in Virginia and over a hundred years later morons like you are still fantasizing about being just like them. It doesn't matter to you that Hood came back home a broken man with nothing nice to say about the Confederacy. It doesn't matter to you that it was the federal government, through the New Deal, and Rural Electrification and the War on Poverty, that made this state livable and viable; that brought it into the 20th century. It doesn't matter to you that without the US cavalry half this state would have never been opened to settlement. It doesn't even matter to you that Sam Houston, the second father of Texas, worked himself to death trying to prevent secession. No, you just sit in your air-conditioned room drinking your clean water running out of a tap that always works, no pumping required, and fantasize about how great and honorable it'd be to get your head blown off by some damn Apache helicopter. And for what? So that we can go back to living in poverty, worrying about bandits, and with a government one egomaniac away from being just another American tinpot dictatorship for Europeans to scoff at? Grow some sense you damn fool.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  16:33:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OUCH! That was beautiful. it's always a pleasure to watch someone who thinks walk all over someone who believes that thinking is a waste of time -- and it often is with these numbnuts.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  17:50:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not willing to see one damned state secede. The Civil War settled they question if secession's legality in the blood of over half a million Americans.

As far as I'm concerned, Chuck Norris, Glenn Beck, and wingnuts like them are traitors and should be tried as such, regardless of how tiny a minority of Texans or others may take them seriously.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/11/2009 18:40:27
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  03:34:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

I'm not willing to see one damned state secede. The Civil War settled they question if secession's legality in the blood of over half a million Americans.

As far as I'm concerned, Chuck Norris, Glenn Beck, and wingnuts like them are traitors and should be tried as such, regardless of how tiny a minority of Texans or others may take them seriously.

I must confess that I find a certain, admittedly sick, entertainment value with these pud-pullers. But then again, their followers, such as Charlie Manson, should be watched, keeping the Airweight handy in case they should get seriously stupid.

Norris, et al., is doing what they all do best: blowing smoke.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  03:57:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Norris, et al., is doing what they all do best: blowing smoke.

And he's blowing it out of his ass.

What Norris does best certainly isn't acting. He's the only actor I can think of who is actually far worse than Keanu Reeves. Even dumber, too.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  07:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He was a very good martial art artist, wasn't he? Didn't he win some gold medals before getting to old and switching to (terrible) acting?

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  13:13:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everyone who thinks Keanu Reeves is a bad actor should see The Gift.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  15:57:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hangs around with a third rate politician for a few months and now thinks he has something to say.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  22:21:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chuck Norris is to be admired for some things. He is not a young man, but he looks to be about 50 (he's over 60). He is an exceptional athlete.

His acting is third rate, and his ability to think clearly is obviously deteriorating though. His politics land him right smack in the "areyoufuckingkidding?" pile. Guy gets a little less sane every year.

(the part of my brain responsible for spelling has succeded)(wait... thats pretty damn funny!)

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 03/13/2009 00:33:30
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  06:59:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wikipedia lists Chuck's fight record as either 183-10-2 or 65-5. Really good, either way.

And next March he'll turn seventy. Here's to hoping I'll look that healthy (but without all the hair, thanks).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

leoofno
Skeptic Friend

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  11:14:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send leoofno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Wikipedia

From his personal code:
8. I will maintain respect for those in authority and demonstrate this respect at all times.

I don't know, but secession seems kinda... disrespectful.

"If you're not terrified, you're not paying attention." Eric Alterman
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds.