Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  03:18:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dave_W said:
I'm of the opinion that the fact that we have some pretty amazing technologies that would have seemed like magic centuries ago is not predictive of any particular technology we wish for now being just a matter of time and resources.

I'm of the same opinion.

What I'm saying is simply that we don't know where our technology will end up. In the short term, maybe 10-20 years, we can probably make some predictions. But for 100 years out? 200?

I can't say that light speed will never be broken, but I also can't say it will be broken. Thats what I'm saying.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  05:27:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

Dave_W said:
I'm of the opinion that the fact that we have some pretty amazing technologies that would have seemed like magic centuries ago is not predictive of any particular technology we wish for now being just a matter of time and resources.

I'm of the same opinion.

What I'm saying is simply that we don't know where our technology will end up. In the short term, maybe 10-20 years, we can probably make some predictions. But for 100 years out? 200?

I can't say that light speed will never be broken, but I also can't say it will be broken. Thats what I'm saying.

More likely we'll find out that light and velocity and the relationship between them arn't what we thought they were.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  14:11:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.
Sure, but as you said, probably wrong in the way Netwon's mechanics were wrong. They required a "tweak." Right now, Relativity gives basically an "overflow" condition inside a black hole. It's useless there, but successful everywhere else we've tested it.

Relativity is also useless on small scales in quantum foam. The differential geometry behind relativity requires space to be smooth and this just isn't the case (as far as we know) when you get down to the Planck length. It doesn't all of a sudden stop working, but it gets worse and worse. Much like Newtonian mechanics get worse and worse as you increase velocity.

However I think calling the change from Newtonian mechanics to relativity a "tweak" is misleading. Sure, the data for your everyday observations pretty much does not change (except for the cosmologist). But the entire idea of what gravity is and does is revolutionized. Going from a "pushing force" to a "warping of space" are two entirely different ideas. While the change is a tweak in the data, such tweaks can revolutionize our understanding of the universe. For example that mass is energy and energy is mass.

Is a QM solution to black holes suddenly going to tell us that we would need less than a whole galaxy's worth of energy to propel a human being to 0.99999c?

It doesn't have to. Any theory that changes our understanding of physics behind the universe could potentially do so. I feel uncomfortable saying what unknown changes in QM will bring, and even more uncomfortable saying what unknown changes in unknown theories will bring. Aren't you?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/18/2009 14:13:19
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  18:56:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Ricky

I feel uncomfortable saying what unknown changes in QM will bring, and even more uncomfortable saying what unknown changes in unknown theories will bring. Aren't you?
As I said in another thread a while back, there are some bits of knowledge we've got that are extraordinarily unlikely to ever change again. The Earth goes 'round the Sun. The basic notions of common descent and selection. Our universe has some degree of non-locality. For these things to change in the future, it's going to require a change of the meanings of the words used, and I think that's a cheat.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  19:15:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed Dave. But I think we're losing site of where we came from. You first put forth the some events (people talking and then dying) are unknowable which was countered with the possibility of time travel. You suggested that Relativity says time travel is impossible, which is what I'm currently opposing now.

One day I may feel comfortable with that conclusion, but not today. Not when relativity is at ends with another accepted theory. Once this is resolved and we figure out what space actually is (one of the big open questions in physics) perhaps.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 03/18/2009 19:17:55
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  19:28:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Agreed Dave. But I think we're losing site of where we came from. You first put forth the some events (people talking and then dying) are unknowable which was countered with the possibility of time travel. You suggested that Relativity says time travel is impossible, which is what I'm currently opposing now.

One day I may feel comfortable with that conclusion, but not today. Not when relativity is at ends with another accepted theory. Once this is resolved and we figure out what space actually is (one of the big open questions in physics) perhaps.
Actually, I don't think Relativity says it's impossible, just that it'll take most (if not all) of the energy in the universe to do it.

My real proof of the impossibility of (backwards) time travel is that we don't know about it already, and I know that human beings ever reaching that level of competence in keeping a secret is impossible.

But seriously, my Joe-and-Ken example was just an example. Poking holes in the particulars is to miss my point with it.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  20:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But seriously, my Joe-and-Ken example was just an example. Poking holes in the particulars is to miss my point with it.

Then I suppose I've missed the point.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  21:10:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Then I suppose I've missed the point.
The point was that there are limits to what science can tell us. There exist legitimate scientific questions which science won't be able to answer.

The most-basic of which is, "is what we experience and test scientifically really 'reality'?" If the answer is "no," then science undermines it's own alleged ability to provide answers to our questions about reality.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2009 :  10:04:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

The point was that there are limits to what science can tell us. There exist legitimate scientific questions which science won't be able to answer.

But without an example, that would be an unsupported assertion.

The most-basic of which is, "is what we experience and test scientifically really 'reality'?"

That is a much better example.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.