Spider bite cures paralyzed man?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  17:02:16  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Variations of the headline, "Miracle Spider Bite Cures Paralysis" have recently made the rounds of the horrible drivel that for lack of a substitute we call "news" in the USA. CNN had this video, "... an inspiration story no-one's going to soon forget."

The story goes that a Brown Recluse spider bit a wheelchair-bound man in California, curing him.

LiveSciene's Christopher Wanjek has some choice comments on this "miracle" story, and the terrible journalism that spread it. For starters, California has no Brown Recluse spiders, a simple fact that these journalists either didn't think to check out, or ignored for the sake of the story.

In fact, there is very little in the story that hold up to even casual critical examination. You have to wonder how many people might have swallowed the tale whole, and are now thinking of putting Brown Recluses on their handicapped loved ones.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.

Edited by - HalfMooner on 03/24/2009 18:22:01

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  19:23:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read about that the other day -- I keep track of such things. I am highly skeptical that there any spider involved at all, and certainly not a fiddleback. Here's what a bite from one of those li'l darlin's looks like about a week after the event:

Their venom rapidly destroys tissue. They are the only US spider that I won't simply pick up and take the bits, if one is forthcoming.

On another note, their venom has been under study for a long time.

This one was so obvious that my bullshit detector didn't bother with it.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2009 :  21:21:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reminds me of Bee Venom Therapy.

21 years ago (or so), my buddies and I walked into our local bar only to find that it had been turned into an MS fundraiser for the night. The woman running it swore to me that she wouldn't (couldn't!) have been there if her husband hadn't stung her with a dozen bees earlier that day, ameliorating her MS symptoms. Even though I was pretty heavy into the woo back then, something about it didn't sit right with me. But, since she said they were fundraising for general MS research, and not bees specifically, I tossed 'em a bunch of cash.

Hey, that was also my first encounter with the colored ribbons thing. The person I gave my donation to handed me a red ribbon with a safety pin. I had no idea what I was supposed to do with it until he told me to pin it on my shirt, like he had one. "Oh, okay." I wore it around the bar the rest of the night, like most other people, and then tossed it in the trash when I got home. Started seeing other colored ribbons several months later, and a chart explaining which ribbon color equated to which cause, and then it hit me, "oh, that's what that was all about!" Figured I should have kept wearing it for a few days, to "spread awareness." 'Cause everyone in the bar that night was definitely aware. They had run of the bar's PA system, after all. My wearing the ribbon in the bar that night did nothing for the cause.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  02:34:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've seen a few of those ribbons at work. Even multi-coloured ones, like pink/light blue, whatever that means. I haven't bothered to check it out. Maybe pink is breast cancer? I lost a very dear coworker to brest cancer that came back after 5 years and decided to go for the spine and brain instead.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  03:11:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There has never been a verifiable death due to a Fiddleback bite. Lots of stories though, most as laughable as this one. Here is a fairly typical Black Widow bite after a few days:

I've had four of these and they are quite painful, enough so that you'd think I'd have learned something after the first one.

But I didn't learn squat and still pick them up today. As long as you don't rough them up, they just try to scamper away.

Anyone who does not love spiders, scorps and rattlesnakes has no soul!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  06:04:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Anyone who does not love spiders, scorps and rattlesnakes has no soul!

And neither do those as loves them buggers.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2009 :  22:07:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I've seen a few of those ribbons at work. Even multi-coloured ones, like pink/light blue, whatever that means. I haven't bothered to check it out.
Here is a monster list. It does not include, however, the black ribbon with the blue outline for showing support for lap dancers. Go figure.
Maybe pink is breast cancer?
Yup.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.