Waiting for God — oh ye gods!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  03:49:45  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What is it with all of these half-assed Republicans wanting run for president when the current one has only held the office for barely two months? They seem to be popping up like demented Golems, scrabbling hungrily for a Ring. The latest addition to the roster is Michael Steele.
Emerging from his self-imposed cone of silence, RNC Chairman Michael Steele gave an interview Wednesday in which he said he would consider a run for president and claimed to have strategically planned his recent confrontation with radio talk host Rush Limbaugh.

Speaking to CNN's Don Lemon, Steele said he "would think about" running for the White House but only if "that is where God wants me to be at that time."

"I would have to have a very long conversation with the wife and kids," he said, "because this business is not a fun thing. Our politics today does not incite or inspire someone to make that sacrifice, because the way our politics is played out today, in all honesty, is very ugly."

That statement, while curious considering Steele's early, rocky tenure at the RNC, was not the only newsworthy proclamation made. Later, he was asked to look back at his tiff with Limbaugh, in which he claimed that the bombastic radio personality was "incendiary" and "ugly" only to backtrack on his words.

It looked embarrassing for the Maryland Republican at the time. But Steele contended that it was all a part of a grand "strategic" plan.
Lessee now, there's Big Mojo Bobby, Tongues-Speakin' Sarah and Newt the Hoot, among others, and now our Mikey. Don't get me wrong; I rather like the guy, He has something the others sadly lack: Like Abbot & Costello, he blunders so beautifully that it's easy to forgive him it. The amusement value is vast.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  05:04:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

What is it with all of these half-assed Republicans wanting run for president when the current one has only held the office for barely two months? They seem to be popping up like demented Golems, scrabbling hungrily for a Ring. The latest addition to the roster is Michael Steele.
Emerging from his self-imposed cone of silence, RNC Chairman Michael Steele gave an interview Wednesday in which he said he would consider a run for president and claimed to have strategically planned his recent confrontation with radio talk host Rush Limbaugh.

Speaking to CNN's Don Lemon, Steele said he "would think about" running for the White House but only if "that is where God wants me to be at that time."

"I would have to have a very long conversation with the wife and kids," he said, "because this business is not a fun thing. Our politics today does not incite or inspire someone to make that sacrifice, because the way our politics is played out today, in all honesty, is very ugly."

That statement, while curious considering Steele's early, rocky tenure at the RNC, was not the only newsworthy proclamation made. Later, he was asked to look back at his tiff with Limbaugh, in which he claimed that the bombastic radio personality was "incendiary" and "ugly" only to backtrack on his words.

It looked embarrassing for the Maryland Republican at the time. But Steele contended that it was all a part of a grand "strategic" plan.
Lessee now, there's Big Mojo Bobby, Tongues-Speakin' Sarah and Newt the Hoot, among others, and now our Mikey. Don't get me wrong; I rather like the guy, He has something the others sadly lack: Like Abbot & Costello, he blunders so beautifully that it's easy to forgive him it. The amusement value is vast.

These guys are so full of themselves and deluded, to boot.

Steele -- shouldn't he take himself out of the running, if he really wants to get the GOP running smoothly? Maybe he's realized that staying on the high road as a neutral broker in that madhouse is useless.

It'll be interesting to see if there is a Republican Party to nominate anyone in 2012.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  06:04:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Larry Wilmore on Michael Steele and others.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  08:17:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But Steele contended that it was all a part of a grand "strategic" plan.

Yeah, dissing Rush then kissing his ass. I love this guy. I think he will be doing us a great favor by opening his mouth as often as possible.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

dglas
Skeptic Friend

Canada
397 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  14:44:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dglas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, we up here have some experience is seeing a party decimated and then reforming from the ashes. Don't think the Republican party is going to be utterly destroyed anytime in the foreseeable future. There will be confusion; you might even see one or more strange variants arising to dominance for a while as they seek to convince the public that they have actually changed (or are changing) - as they try to distance themselves from the horrific failures of the past. The best you can hope for is that the crazier elements are purged from the mix and the party becomes less radical and more centered before it arises again.

Our current "Progressive Conservative" party returned to power despite the profound failures of the Mulrooney regime, in part because of the extreme excesses of the Liberal party after the fall. We saw the CRAP (Canadian Regional Alliance Party) rise to the surface for a while and then the mainstream conservatives started asserting control again.

So, don't think the Republican party is dead in the water. It will re-emerge; it's just a matter of what it will look like next time.

--------------------------------------------------
- dglas (In the hell of 1000 unresolved subplots...)
The Presupposition of Intrinsic Evil
+ A Self-Justificatory Framework
= The "Heart of Darkness"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2009 :  14:59:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by dglas

So, don't think the Republican party is dead in the water. It will re-emerge; it's just a matter of what it will look like next time.

Of course it will. But we can still enjoy the show while it lasts.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.