Fetch the bucket, I'm gonna barf!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  07:37:35  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Found this at PZ's place -- here's the link to the article:
Hundreds of Staten Islanders showed up at the St. Francis Friary on Todt Hill today to welcome the relics of St. Anthony of Padua.

A gold reliquary containing a piece of the 13th century saint's skin was the centerpiece of a prayer service led by the Rev. Philip Blaine of the friary. The Rev. Mario Conte, who traveled with the relics from Italy, gave a talk about the saint, a Franciscan who was revered as a theologian and preacher. Afterward, people were invited to venerate the relics, with many stroking or kissing the reliquary and touching Bibles to it.
Gross! It's enough to make you puke your cracker! This is better than necrophilia only in that you can't have sex with a piece of dried-out skin. At least, I don't think you can. The Catholic Church might prove me wrong, there.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  09:22:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Saint jerky. Yummmm

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:26:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
people were invited to venerate the relics, with many stroking or kissing
Oh, to be treated like relic.

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  23:12:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid relics. Get all the lovin'.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  01:28:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take some old, dried up skin and put it in a glass case in a stuffy museum and people walk right by it or glance in and say "Huh, that's gross." But, take that same dried up old skin, give it "Holy Man" significance, dress it up in a tux and wrap a hot blonde or a cute brunette around its arm and POOF – instant celebrity relic!

(With apologies to Drew Friedman.)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  02:50:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Chippewa

Take some old, dried up skin and put it in a glass case in a stuffy museum and people walk right by it or glance in and say "Huh, that's gross." But, take that same dried up old skin, give it "Holy Man" significance, dress it up in a tux and wrap a hot blonde or a cute brunette around its arm and POOF – instant celebrity relic!

(With apologies to Drew Friedman.)
Too true, too true! Sow's ear & silk purse, eh? I wonder how the Catholics would dress up the Christ's Coprolite.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  03:58:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In related news:

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  05:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

In related news:

Edited to inqire; where might I get a Pisspot Mary of my own?

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 04/03/2009 05:21:01
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  18:08:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Sorry, I found that photo without any attribution as to who made the urinals, or where they are installed.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2009 :  18:42:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Stupid relics. Get all the lovin'.

Then you must be really loved up on...... er.......

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  03:32:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sorry, I found that photo without any attribution as to who made the urinals, or where they are installed.

Judging by the "Humorpix.com" on the photo, I suspect that it is 'shopped.

But I have a friend in the mountains who is a potter -- no, not that kind of a potter -- well, he is too, but he and his family also make pots. I think I'll send him the pic.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2009 :  15:00:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote

This is better than necrophilia only in that you can't have sex with a piece of dried-out skin. At least, I don't think you can.
Even if noboby has actually done what you suggest (which I doubt), it's guaranteed that somebody has seriously considered it. People are so varied in their sexual tastes that nothing shocks me anymore. I mean, I might find someone's particular kink disgusting or uninteresting, but I no longer find anything surprising. Sex with a dried-out piece of human skin is actually rather tame by some standards. The only real question of interest is one of logistics: how does one obtain some 800-year-old mummified epidermis with which to do the deed?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.