SkeptiCamp Atlanta: A Personal Overview
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  21:20:38  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This thread is for posting comments about the SFN article “SkeptiCamp Atlanta: A Personal Overview” Please try to keep posts on topic. Only registered users may post comments.

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  22:08:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right article in the title, and the link is right. Wrong article in the body text, though. I suspect a copy-and-paste went afoul somewhere.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2009 :  22:18:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Right article in the title, and the link is right. Wrong article in the body text, though. I suspect a copy-and-paste went afoul somewhere.
Your hypothesis was correct. I was trying to do too many things at once.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  10:26:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for taking care of that Dave.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  10:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I posted a link to your article on the Skepticality skepticamp episode thread. Hope you don't mind.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2009 :  17:47:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'f course not. Albeit I am a bit self-conscious, but I guess I should stand by what I have (poorly) written...

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  03:53:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you did great, Simon!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  07:51:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good write-up, Simon! I have had frequent cause to use that Princess Bride quote at work, and I especially liked this line from your article:
I am not sure what that is supposed to mean but am ready to get indignant at the scientific establishment for ignoring this obvious solution to the energy crisis.

Know of any of those around San Diego? Were there any small children there, or was it more of an adult-only kind of event?
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  08:30:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10
Know of any of those around San Diego? Were there any small children there, or was it more of an adult-only kind of event?

http://barcamp.org/SkeptiCamp

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  07:55:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simon, from the article:
So, it was a really enjoyable weekend and an experience. One I will do my best to try to renew in the future, at TAM and Dragon*Con for example, and, of course, at the second Atlanta SkeptiCamp.

So, Simon, is there a chance that you will be going to TAM7?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  08:58:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Boron10

Good write-up, Simon! I have had frequent cause to use that Princess Bride quote at work, and I especially liked this line from your article:
I am not sure what that is supposed to mean but am ready to get indignant at the scientific establishment for ignoring this obvious solution to the energy crisis.

Thanks. I loved Andrew's use of the Princess Bride quote, as I mentioned, it was a eureka moment, followed by a "why the hell didn't I think about it myself" moment.

(Un)fortunately, no, they were no kids.

On one hand, certainly, it's never too early to teach kids about critical thinking, after all, they are no shortage of brainwash Jesus camps targeting them. It's might be a good idea to try to equip them with the tools to defend themselves.

On the other hand... It was around 10 hours of sitting down, listening to seminars. Not something child friendly.
But it would indeed be a good idea to try to organize child oriented activities. I heard on the Skeptic zones that such things existed...

Originally posted by Kil

Simon, from the article:
So, it was a really enjoyable weekend and an experience. One I will do my best to try to renew in the future, at TAM and Dragon*Con for example, and, of course, at the second Atlanta SkeptiCamp.

So, Simon, is there a chance that you will be going to TAM7?

I am thinking about it, in fact. I'd seriously love to. But money, money is a matter.
Next year, I will try my best to apply for the scholarship they offer but this year, I will probably not be able to afford it...

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  11:36:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would hope (and also expect this to be the case) that children attending any kind of skeptic or humanist camp would be exposed to science and critical thinking skills, but left to draw their own conclusions using those skills. Help them think clearly. If they then want to believe in Jesus or the Tooth Fairy, that's their free choice.

In other words, the direct opposite of the regimentation, propaganda, and brainwashing of Jesus Camps.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  14:55:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep.

They should do some Scooby-Do themed role-playing.

Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds.