Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Religion
 Scientologists, don't let the door hit you…
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  02:28:45  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is looking like L. Ron's vile, little pack of bunco artists just might get the boot from France. If so, let us hope that it is firmly and painfully applied.
The Church of Scientology has gone on trial in the French capital, Paris, accused of organised fraud.

The case centres on a complaint by a woman who says she was pressured into paying large sums of money after being offered a free personality test.

The church, which is fighting the charges, denies that any mental manipulation took place.

France regards Scientology as a sect, not a religion, and the organisation could be banned if it loses the case.

It is the first time the church has appeared as a defendant in a fraud case in France. Previous court cases have involved individual Scientologists.
They've been running that "personality test" scam for decades. It is a sad commentary on the general, H. sapiens intellect that it still works.

Germany tossed these parasites like a used condom a few years back. One hopes that the ever-practical French will will live up to the reputation and follow suit.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  02:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only downside I see here is that if the Scientologists are to be kicked out of France, by definition they will be kicked into somewhere else.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  03:25:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

The only downside I see here is that if the Scientologists are to be kicked out of France, by definition they will be kicked into somewhere else.

This is true, alas, but perhaps after serving some time in the modern version of the Bastille first.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  04:52:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

This is true, alas, but perhaps after serving some time in the modern version of the Bastille first.

I'd rather they used the old version. That might make the Scientologists think, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  05:39:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't believe that a criminal organization like Scientologists are allowed to operate in USA. On the other hand, they are filthy rich, and that seems to be what matter.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  13:12:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

I can't believe that a criminal organization like Scientologists are allowed to operate in USA. On the other hand, they are filthy rich, and that seems to be what matter.

I think it's mainly the special "religious" status in the US of almost any cult or gang that calls itself a religion, not just money. Though being able to afford to sue punitively does give Scientology extra clout here.

If we were to try to ban Scientology as a criminal scam, I'll bet that at least half our churches would be looking to "go off-shore."

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2009 :  23:15:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we were to try to ban Scientology as a criminal scam, I'll bet that at least half our churches would be looking to "go off-shore."

Sounds like a win-win situation to me...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:10:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Sounds like a win-win situation to me...

We can only pray.

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2009 :  11:43:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent; flush them like the faeces that they are!
Wikipedia bans Scientology from editing site

The online encyclopedia Wikipedia has banned members of the Church of Scientology from editing their entry on the site. Writes the Tech newspaper The Register:

Closing out the longest-running court case in Wikiland history, the site's Arbitration Committee voted 10 to 0 (with one abstention) in favor of the move, which takes effect immediately.

The eighth most popular site on the web, Wikipedia bills itself as "the free encyclopedia anyone can edit." Administrators frequently ban individual Wikifiddlers for their individual Wikisins. And the site's UK press officer/resident goth once silenced an entire Utah mountain in a bizarre attempt to protect a sockpuppeting ex-BusinessWeek reporter. But according to multiple administrators speaking with The Reg, the muzzling of Scientology IPs marks the first time Wikipedia has officially barred edits from such a high-profile organization for allegedly pushing its own agenda on the site.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  08:24:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The St. Pete Times goes after the Scienctwatologists:
Scientology leader David Miscavige is the focus of this special report from the St. Petersburg Times. Former executives of the Church of Scientology, including two of the former top lieutenants to Miscavige, have come forward to describe a culture of intimidation and violence under David Miscavige. These former Scientology leaders served for years with Miscavige.
The links in this article are a must-read for anyone who wants to see exactly what a culture of vicious, social parasites actually looks like.

I've been casually following these creeps for a goodish number of years, but even I failed to realize just how vile they are.

Lemmee put it this way: were I given the choice (at gun point) between having a light lunch with a senior Scientologist and kissing Randall Terry, I'd lay a big, wet smacker on Terry (and probably get a bigger, wetter one back). Miscavige and his ilk are the scum of the earth, unworthy of any consideration at all.

Found the link at PZ's.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2009 :  13:23:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they have had a foothold here in the Tampa bay area for years. I'm shocked that the St Pete Times is willing to write anything bad about them, The Times used to be a good paper but these days they are mostly tabloid.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.