Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  03:31:43  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idiot can't even remember her name.... Or maybe he thinks that all Latino women are named "Maria," which would come as small suprise, Huck being Huck.

"The appointment of Maria Sotomayor for the Supreme Court is the clearest indication yet that President Obama's campaign promises to be a centrist and think in a bipartisan way were mere rhetoric. Sotomayor comes from the far left and will likely leave us with something akin to the "Extreme Court" that could mark a major shift. The notion that appellate court decisions are to be interpreted by the "feelings" of the judge is a direct affront of the basic premise of our judicial system that is supposed to apply the law without personal emotion. If she is confirmed, then we need to take the blindfold off Lady Justice.—"

Thus far, I like Sotomayor. She seems to have been a conscienous, pretty much centrist judge. Alas, I'll not get the flaming lefty I really want, so she'll have to do.

I also think that she'll be confirmed easily -- after the strident & required Republican histrionics & hysterics, of course. However, 2010 is fast approaching and the GOP can't afford to piss off Hispanics and women any more than they already have, which a filibuster would certainly do. But I'm sure they'll put on a pretty good show to suck up to their "base."

Them's my thoughts on the matter.

Edit: Best endorsement possible!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/27/2009 03:45:39

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  05:25:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading a little about this, and from what I can gather she is a slightly left of center moderate, who recieved her first court appointment from W's daddy (Bush41).

Honestly, with the political clout Obama currently has and the legislative majority democrats now enjoy, I'm a bit suprised at just how moderate/centrist this court pick seems to be.

The wing-nuts were going to go ape-shit no matter who was appointed though. No real point in paying them much attention.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  05:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dude

I've been reading a little about this, and from what I can gather she is a slightly left of center moderate, who recieved her first court appointment from W's daddy (Bush41).
Bush the Elder appointed her at the suggestion of Patrick Moynihan, as a part of a "we pick one, then you pick one" deal between the parties for 7 judicial nominations. She was confirmed by a unanimous Senate.

Five years later, when Clinton nominated her to a Federal appeals court, the Republicans blocked her confirmation for a year, and then only half voted for her.

Take a look at "Sotomayor: A liberal record - but not entirely so."

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  09:46:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dude:
Honestly, with the political clout Obama currently has and the legislative majority democrats now enjoy, I'm a bit suprised at just how moderate/centrist this court pick seems to be.

Pretty much, she should be a lot like David Suiter which ain't so bad. He almost left the court in disgust back when they handed the presidency to Bush. Strategically, this is a good move in several ways, not the least of which is that the conservatives will be denied a rallying point, something they are desperately looking for, and trying for anyhow. (See filthy's post). But with her, they will not succeed because she isn't an ideologue. They will just come off looking like they have for the last several months now.

Honest Dude. The conservatives would have much rather Obama had picked someone much farther to the left. That would have been someone and something they could have sunk their teeth into and would have worked much better for them than for us. I think the choice of Sotomayor was brilliant.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  10:01:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah; like they will let facts get on the way of a good rants.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  10:23:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Simon

Oh yeah, they will rant. But that's how they are perceived now by the vast majority of Americans. A bunch of whining ranting assholes with nothing to offer. They will not expand their base with this new round of rantings. It will just come off as more of the same.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  10:48:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Or maybe he thinks that all Latino women are named "Maria," which would come as small suprise, Huck being Huck.
Amazing that Brother Billy-Bob Huckabee didn't also refer to the President as LeRoy Obama.

Edit: Best endorsement possible!
From the FAIL Hog himself!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Edited by - HalfMooner on 05/27/2009 11:04:56
Go to Top of Page

Simon
SFN Regular

USA
1992 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:08:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Simon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Oh yeah, they will rant. But that's how they are perceived now by the vast majority of Americans. A bunch of whining ranting assholes with nothing to offer. They will not expand their base with this new round of rantings. It will just come off as more of the same.

Maybe, or the basis will believe them and believe Sotomayor to be spelled G.U.E.V.A.R.A...

They managed to make themselves believed in 2000 and 2004, after all.

Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.
Carl Sagan - 1996
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:35:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Originally posted by Kil

Maybe, or the basis will believe them and believe Sotomayor to be spelled G.U.E.V.A.R.A...

They managed to make themselves believed in 2000 and 2004, after all.
Who cares what their base thinks? They are down to 20% of all Americans. Unless they expand their base, they're screwed. And this nomination will not do it for them.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  11:43:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We laugh, we cry, and some of us just enjoy the popcorn.
5/27/2009
A Letter from the American Americans for America Regarding Sonia Sotomayor:

A note to our eager members and generous donors:

Even though our organization is devoted to opposing anything that even hints at civil rights and freedoms for anyone not straight, white, Christian, and conservative, and despite the fact that the nomination of Judge Sonia Sotomayor to the Supreme Court would appear, on its face, to contain every element that would prompt us to go into attack mode, we will not be fighting this nomination. In short, on Sotomayor, we surrender. A good army knows that you sometimes need to retreat to fight another day rather than join every battle, and if there was ever a battle that seemed like Little Big Horn and we're the cavalry, it's this one.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  12:00:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you know, I've been of the growing opinion that the GOP is in a self-induced, ideology-driven death spiral, from which it probably cannot recover.

Bill Mahr has an opinion on this. He thinks the Democratic Party is already occupying the center-right position. He thinks the GOP will disappear, and a new party will appear on the left of the Democrats. I don't know if that's right (and I think the Democrats are mainly center-left), but it's as good a guess as any.

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  12:10:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

As you know, I've been of the growing opinion that the GOP is in a self-induced, ideology-driven death spiral, from which it probably cannot recover.

Bill Mahr has an opinion on this. He thinks the Democratic Party is already occupying the center-right position. He thinks the GOP will disappear, and a new party will appear on the left of the Democrats. I don't know if that's right (and I think the Democrats are mainly center-left), but it's as good a guess as any.

I think just the opposite. More likely a new party will appear on the right. But don't count on it. Eventually the Republicans will see that they need their moderates, because that's what most Americans are. They will remake themselves, as the Democrats did. I think it's just a matter of time.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  13:39:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(and I think the Democrats are mainly center-left)

As I've said before. From a Scandinavian (and probably European) perspective, the Democrats are center-right.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  14:58:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

I think just the opposite. More likely a new party will appear on the right. But don't count on it. Eventually the Republicans will see that they need their moderates, because that's what most Americans are. They will remake themselves, as the Democrats did. I think it's just a matter of time.
My bet's the same as yours, simply because the Democratic Party is center-left, not as Mahr thinks, center-right. The vacuum is on the right.

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  15:01:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

(and I think the Democrats are mainly center-left)

As I've said before. From a Scandinavian (and probably European) perspective, the Democrats are center-right.

Yeah, but that's there, and this is here. We work within our local spectrum, or we work in the wilderness of impotent third parties.

Go to Top of Page

the_ignored
SFN Addict

2562 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2009 :  16:16:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send the_ignored a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"The appointment of Maria Sotomayor for the Supreme Court is the clearest indication yet that President Obama's campaign promises to be a centrist and think in a bipartisan way were mere rhetoric. Sotomayor comes from the far left and will likely leave us with something akin to the "Extreme Court" that could mark a major shift. The notion that appellate court decisions are to be interpreted by the "feelings" of the judge is a direct affront of the basic premise of our judicial system that is supposed to apply the law without personal emotion. If she is confirmed, then we need to take the blindfold off Lady Justice."

LIMBAUGH: Do I want her to fail? Yeah. Do I want her to fail to get on the court? Yes! She'd be a disaster on the court. Do I still want Obama to fail as President? Yeah. AP you getting this? He's going to fail anyway, but the sooner the better.

Yeah, it's the democrats who are against bipartisanship. What a load of crap. Don't they listen to themselves, how Limbaugh and Huck are contradicting themselves??

>From: enuffenuff@fastmail.fm
(excerpt follows):
> I'm looking to teach these two bastards a lesson they'll never forget.
> Personal visit by mates of mine. No violence, just a wee little chat.
>
> **** has also committed more crimes than you can count with his
> incitement of hatred against a religion. That law came in about 2007
> much to ****'s ignorance. That is fact and his writing will become well
> know as well as him becoming a publicly known icon of hatred.
>
> Good luck with that fuckwit. And Reynold, fucking run, and don't stop.
> Disappear would be best as it was you who dared to attack me on my
> illness knowing nothing of the cause. You disgust me and you are top of
> the list boy. Again, no violence. Just regular reminders of who's there
> and visits to see you are behaving. Nothing scary in reality. But I'd
> still disappear if I was you.

What brought that on? this. Original posting here.

Another example of this guy's lunacy here.
Edited by - the_ignored on 05/27/2009 16:18:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.42 seconds.