Calling all twits! Calling all twits!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  17:19:43  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's a chance to demonstrate your psychic gifts and show that old fuddy-duddy Randi a thing or two! All you have to do is tweet, whatever that is....
A novel experiment using Twitter by British psychology professor Richard Wiseman, in conjunction with "New Scientist" magazine, is set to be the largest ESP ("remote viewing") experiment in history.

According to Wiseman, this is how it works:

"At 3 PM (GMT) each day, I will travel to a randomly selected location. Once there, I will send a Tweet, asking everyone to Tweet about their thoughts concerning the nature of my location. Thirty minutes later, I will send another Tweet linking to a Web site that will allow everyone to view photographs of five locations (the actual location and four decoys), think about the thoughts and images that came to them in the 30 minutes before, and vote on which of the five they believe to be the actual target location. If the majority of people select the correct target, then the trial will count as a hit."
Everyone can see the flaw here, right? But it'll be fun to see how it comes out, as if we didn't already heve a pretty good idea.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  18:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The flaw seems to me to be that a respectable guy like Wiseman is teaming up with lowest of the pop-sci magazines, New "Was Darwin Wrong?" Scientist.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  18:35:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Here's a chance to demonstrate your psychic gifts and show that old fuddy-duddy Randi a thing or two! All you have to do is tweet, whatever that is....
A novel experiment using Twitter by British psychology professor Richard Wiseman, in conjunction with "New Scientist" magazine, is set to be the largest ESP ("remote viewing") experiment in history.

According to Wiseman, this is how it works:

"At 3 PM (GMT) each day, I will travel to a randomly selected location. Once there, I will send a Tweet, asking everyone to Tweet about their thoughts concerning the nature of my location. Thirty minutes later, I will send another Tweet linking to a Web site that will allow everyone to view photographs of five locations (the actual location and four decoys), think about the thoughts and images that came to them in the 30 minutes before, and vote on which of the five they believe to be the actual target location. If the majority of people select the correct target, then the trial will count as a hit."
Everyone can see the flaw here, right? But it'll be fun to see how it comes out, as if we didn't already heve a pretty good idea.

As long as his handheld device transmits GPS coordinates, I'm in!

Ok, what flaws? Hmmm.
1) Limitations on possible locations:

a) He's a British professor. Locations are bound to be within a fairly small radius of his home or work (or vacation spot). (If I were him, I'd pick a different pub every day.)

b) Each location will have to have internet access (likely via a
handheld device). No caverns, probably no sub-basements.

2) Potential non-independence of guesses, & sharing of information. He's asking people to twitter (tweet?) about where they think he is, while he's there; these messages may well influence some people's thinking/guesses. Then, he's providing a set of 5 photos for people to pick from (rather than having people come up with the description themselves). And, as I joked above, it's probably possible for someone to trace,non-psychically, the location of his handheld device (through his ISP or whatever).

3) Lack of independent verification. He hasn't indicated any plan for him to prove where he was & what he was looking at each 3pm, nor whether one of the photos really is of the place he was tweeting from. He could read the tweets about where people think he is, then pick photos that fit in with some people's guesses (or, pick photos that don't match anyone's guesses), & all the while never leave his favorite pub - the bastard!

And, finally, the most important flaw of all:
4) Every psychic knows that skepticism creates such a negative energy field that even the most talented psychic couldn't possibly be expected to "perform" accurately under those dire circumstances...

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  19:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard Wiseman is one of my favorite people. Last year he posed with me at TAM.

One of his sites is Quirkology. Fun site!

And here he blogs about the Twitter Experiment.

If you are still wondering, Wiseman is most definitely a skeptic.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  22:08:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I freely admit having typed my comments above without following the link, thus without actually reading anything about the planned procedure.

Now, seeing the photo, I'll add: Oh, that's who's doing this! I love his Quirkology videos - and he did the colour changing trick one, too. (With a gorilla suit in the background of one shot - didja notice?)

But seeing his blog entry, I have another potential limitation to mention. He says,
If the majority of people select the correct target then the trial will count as a hit, otherwise it will count as a miss.
So he's looking for whether or not the masses are correct, rather than whether any single follower has a higher success rate than average?

He could well miss a true psychic this way, one of the group who follows, tweets, guesses, etc, but whose correct responses are lost in the random noise responses of the rest of the crowd.

(Well, he'd miss a true "receptive" psychic this way. I suppose if there were a psychic who could transmit the correct answer to at least half of the others, or at least could convince them via twitter to follow his/her lead, then the psychic might be able to influence the results & show his/her powers.)

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  00:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Richard Wiseman is one of my favorite people. Last year he posed with me at TAM.

Is that Phil Plait's evil twin?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  02:00:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Originally posted by Kil

Is that Phil Plait's evil twin?

Funny you should mention it.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  02:53:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah, I see.....

I now suspect that he has conned New Sciestist into helping pull this gag off, strictly for his own amusement. Well done, I say! Well done! Pass along my congratulations, Kil!

The main flaw in his project is that he's not doing it on April First.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  08:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Ah, I see.....

I now suspect that he has conned New Sciestist into helping pull this gag off, strictly for his own amusement. Well done, I say! Well done! Pass along my congratulations, Kil!

The main flaw in his project is that he's not doing it on April First.

While funny as hell, I don't think it's a complete joke. Wiseman really does investigate psychic claims. And this will not be the first time that he set up one of his experiments so that thousands of people will be involved. I think there is an aspect of just goofing on twitter with this one. His relationship to New Scientist is unknown to me. For all I know, they approached him.

Also, I didn't mean to say that I know him personally as a good friend. While I have seen him enough times, what I am is a big fan of his. I buy his books and subscribe to his website. (I get his news letters.) His presentations have been one of the highlights of TAM. I'm sorry he is not on the bill this year.

As for looking like Phil Plait there is this from my TAM4 report:

Okay now, as it happens Michelle and I placed ourselves pretty close the back of the hall. So when Wiseman returned [after a short film that he made] and the people in front started laughing, we at first didn't know why. It turned out that Phil Plait, who looks a lot like Wiseman, and dressed like Wiseman, came back out to continue the lecture. I read later on The Bad Astronomy Blog that the attempted deception didn't go exactly as planned. Plait was hoping that no one would notice the switch for at least twenty or thirty seconds. He had even practiced an English accent like Wiseman's for the stunt. We soon realized why everyone in front was laughing. No matter that it didn't go off as planned, it was very funny anyhow.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.