How do squid see light? Let us count the ways
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  23:43:42  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Story here about light-sensing properties of non-ocular tissue in some squid, using the same proteins as in the eye.

(h/t to "Carlie" for the link in a comments thread at Pharyngula)

I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone* -Dick Cheney

*some restrictions may apply

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  10:55:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Zebra

Story here about light-sensing properties of non-ocular tissue in some squid, using the same proteins as in the eye.

(h/t to "Carlie" for the link in a comments thread at Pharyngula)

Oh that is very cool.

For some reason, I have this feeling that I already heard about that, but I can't remember the source. Maybe it was another animal.

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Zebra
Skeptic Friend

USA
354 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2009 :  23:02:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Zebra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe a squid told you about it already?

But this does remind me of the 3rd type of light-detecting cell in human retinas. You remember rods and cones, right? Well, it turns out that's not all - there's another type of cell, distinct from rods & cones, which is responsive to light. It sends its projections to the suprachiasmatic nucleus to give "day/night" info (as "light/dark") to the "clock" in our brains. Cooler yet, it uses a different photochemical, melanopsin.

From the Wikipedia page on melanopsin:
Melanopsin is a photopigment found in specialized photosensitive ganglion cells of the retina that are involved in the regulation of circadian rhythms, pupillary light reflex, and other non-visual responses to light.

[snip]

Melanopsin differs from other opsin photopigments in vertebrates. In fact, it resembles invertebrate opsins in many respects, including its amino acid sequence and downstream signaling cascade.

[snip]

Melanopsin was originally discovered in 1998 in specialized light-sensitive cells of frog skin by Dr. Ignacio Provencio and his colleagues.[2] In 1999 Dr. Russell Foster showed that a third class of photoreceptor existed in mammalian eyes. In 2000, Provencio showed that mammals, including humans, also produce melanopsin and that it is found only in a rare subtype of retinal ganglion cells, the output cells of the retina.

[snip]

[Dr. David Berson and colleagues at Brown University] showed that melanopsin ganglion cells are intrinsically photosensitive[4], thus named intrinsically photosensitive Retinal Ganglion Cells (ipRGC). They constitute a third class of photoreceptors in the mammalian retina, beside the already known rod and cone photoreceptors.
And once it's discovered, they can't help playing with it:
Melyan et al. in England in 2005 reported rendering a mouse paraneuronal cell line (Neuro-2a), which normally is not photosensitive, photoreceptive by the addition of human melanopsin.
Isn't that cool??!

[Alas, I find I wax more enthusiastic about old findings in humans than recent findings in squid. I should be banned from Pharyngula.]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.