A good day ain't got no pain.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:36:26  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today, the arthritis in my hands was singing Louie Louie and I had to bag up the big Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake (Crotalus adamanteus) that has been with me for so many years. A lovely, if somewhat dangerous, animal. It all went smoothly, but my heart as well as my hands hurt.

On the plus side, she is now in the possession of the Life Science Museum in Raleigh, NC where, after her quarantine period, she will be on exhibit for the public to enjoy. Much better than if she disappeared into a private collection, never to be seen again. And she will receive professional care.

My remaining viperids are also spoken for, the Cottons (Agkistrodon piscivorous conanti) going to tho Asheboro Zoo and the Trans Pecos Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix pictigaster) will find a home at the Wilmington Serpentarium.

This is the best possible outcome for my snakes, that I have presented to a somewhat alarmed public for so long, but yet, I grieve.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26022 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:44:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear it, filthy.

Still got the house 'possum?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  11:47:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Life is made of ever so many partings welded together”

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:14:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Dave W.

Sorry to hear it, filthy.

Still got the house 'possum?
Alas, no. Possum simply went out one night and never returned. Don't know what happened, but he was a wild animal (that sort of adopted me and my table scraps) and such things come to pass. Soon, all I will have left will be my immortal cat, who managed to slept through the exciting Rattlesnake transfer, thankfully. Durn cat....

I dunno. I'm getting shed of the snakes because I will soon be moving into a small house on my son-in-law's property and they had to go. But I like living in an atmosphere of venom and will probably have a couple more hot ones soon enough. But nothing like what I have kept in the past.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  12:17:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Gorgo

“Life is made of ever so many partings welded together”
So true, so true.....

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13477 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  14:11:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that your pets(?) have to go, filthy. Also happy to hear you won't be without some kinds of "lovely, if somewhat dangerous" animals. It's also nice that the outgoing snakes are getting good homes.

I have no idea which snake it was, but you and it provided one of the most classic moments in SFN chat history, and perhaps in the history of this site. I do believe, and I don't think I'm exaggerating here, that the likelihood of getting bit by a rattlesnake during an SFN chat session is so close to nil, that it's even less likely than being struck by lightning or winning a super lotto, for most of us anyway. Thank goodness it was not a "hot" bite. (I suppose things would have worked out differently, had it been.) But as it was, you and your pet gave all of us who were in chat that night a real scare, and also, a uniquely strange but treasured memory...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  15:11:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by Kil

Sorry to hear that your pets(?) have to go, filthy. Also happy to hear you won't be without some kinds of "lovely, if somewhat dangerous" animals. It's also nice that the outgoing snakes are getting good homes.

I have no idea which snake it was, but you and it provided one of the most classic moments in SFN chat history, and perhaps in the history of this site. I do believe, and I don't think I'm exaggerating here, that the likelihood of getting bit by a rattlesnake during an SFN chat session is so close to nil, that it's even less likely than being struck by lightning or winning a super lotto, for most of us anyway. Thank goodness it was not a "hot" bite. (I suppose things would have worked out differently, had it been.) But as it was, you and your pet gave all of us who were in chat that night a real scare, and also, a uniquely strange but treasured memory...
I remember that vividly! I was an idiot for messing with snakes and playing with computers at the same time. The snake was a juvenile Prairie Rattlesnake (C.v.viridis) that I was treating for canker-mouth. The bite was all but dry and no big deal. Sadly, I lost that one to unknown causes sometime later.

Not one of my more glorious moments -- I still feel like a fool for that bite (actually, I feel like a fool for all of them, but that one definatly shouldn't have happened ).

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  18:12:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kil told me that chat-bite story in person, Filthy. Remarkable.

This transition is kind of sad, but more importantly, it's the right thing to do.

I think you are being very responsible in taking care of your companion animals (?) in the manner that you are. I shudder to think of all the irresponsible people who have kept a house full of various animals and never considered the problem that all of them depend upon the caretaker being both alive and healthy. Must be tons of dried-up snakes, cats, and dogs in a lot of homes where irresponsible people made no provision for them (or no provisions out of them!)

A salute, my humane friend, Fil!

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2009 :  18:52:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by HalfMooner

Kil told me that chat-bite story in person, Filthy. Remarkable.

This transition is kind of sad, but more importantly, it's the right thing to do.

I think you are being very responsible in taking care of your companion animals (?) in the manner that you are. I shudder to think of all the irresponsible people who have kept a house full of various animals and never considered the problem that all of them depend upon the caretaker being both alive and healthy. Must be tons of dried-up snakes, cats, and dogs in a lot of homes where irresponsible people made no provision for them (or no provisions out of them!)

A salute, my humane friend, Fil!

Thanks for the kind words.

I am familiar with those houses as I have been called into a couple of them to get hot snakes out. All part of wildlife rescue & rehab, and too often pretty disgusting.

I was very lucky to get my animals placed in zoos and the museum. As a rule, unless the animal is a species the place has a special interest in, and at that, they rarely accept anything from the public. But, if I might make a boast, mine are all exceptional specimens, even the moccasins.

The buzzworm photo above is not of my snake -- it's one I scavenged off the 'net. "Tammy Fay" is a good bit bigger and even lovelier.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  06:31:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the big Rattler is now cooling her heels in the quiet security of the museum's quarantine room. She caused quite a stir when she arrived -- they weren't expecting one that big!

This morning, I bagged up the Trans Pecos Copperhead. This is the smallest, prettiest, and the hottest of the Coppers.

Eye candy!

In a couple of hours, he'll be on his way to the Wilmington Serpentarium, where all who visit can enjoy him.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

HalfMooner
Dingaling

Philippines
15831 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  07:02:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send HalfMooner a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally posted by filthy

Well, the big Rattler is now cooling her heels in the quiet security of the museum's quarantine room.
I can think of at least two ways that's just gotta be wrong. But congrats for the successful adopting out of your minions! Many more may now enjoy them.

Biology is just physics that has begun to smell bad.” —HalfMooner
Here's a link to Moonscape News, and one to its Archive.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2009 :  08:33:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From a handlers point of view, the easy ones are done. The Rattler is a very gentle animal, although she was highly pissed when she got to her new home, and displayed it vigorously. And loudly (I was afraid she'd break her buzzer in the bag, but she didn't).

The little Copper just goes all to pieces when handled and always attempts to flee -- funny, really. Neither has ever taken a swing at me. But now we come to the moccasins, and I ain't looking forward to it. The female shouldn't be too bad, but the male is a rotten, little psychopath that has taken many swings at me. Both are around 4 feet long and fat as hogs.

But the real reason I'm not looking forward to it is that their musk gland must be experienced to be appreciated. How can I describe it? Ok, if you park your car in a place where it might get stolen, just rub your Cottonmouth across the dashboard and go ahead on, carefree. You won't even have to take the keys out.

I'm told it'll be a little while before the NC Zoo will be ready for them.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.